Final destination

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GregL

Service Attendant
When a train reaches its final destination, who takes the train back to the yards for servicing, cleaning, and restocking.

I assume the yards has a crew that does this, because a lot of times the onboard crew is low on hours remaining on the work day.

Thanks, G

When a train reaches its final destination, who takes the train back to the yards for servicing, cleaning, and restocking.

I assume the yards has a crew that does this, because a lot of times the onboard crew is low on hours remaining on the work day.

Thanks, G
That depends on the yard. Some yards have a yard crews or crews that do that move. Other yards it is the road crew that brings it from the yard and takes it to the yard.

And, conversely, in smaller terminii, like Savannah, the travelling crew wyes the train and backs it into the station. There is generally no heavy maintenance done there, but a separate cleaning crew relieves the operating crew.

I suppose every train has it's own procedure for the terminus and the crews are irrelevant to the size of the station but rather the needs of the train and availability of personnel.

Last edited by a moderator:
On days when the Eagle terminates in SAS it simply rests next to the station overnight and returns to Chicago the following morning. There are two mainline tracks and three house tracks. One house track is used for protection cars, another track is used for the Eagle, and the third track is used for the Sunset Limited. Although there is no pedestrian crossover so long as the trains arrive and depart in the scheduled order there is no need to cross one train to reach another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back