"Extreme Trains" Empire Builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder when the engineer demonstrated the Overspeed Limiter if that had to be cleared in advance so indeed he did not have to do any explaining after the fact. Do the P42s carry a data recorder?
Well, he never hit 83, so they didn't actually set into Emergency. However, I've heard that even hitting 1 MPH over the limit will get you a talking to...

I wonder when the engineer demonstrated the Overspeed Limiter if that had to be cleared in advance so indeed he did not have to do any explaining after the fact. Do the P42s carry a data recorder?
Well, he never hit 83, so they didn't actually set into Emergency. However, I've heard that even hitting 1 MPH over the limit will get you a talking to...
From the looks of it, he was in the middle of North Dakota, not much traffic there. I'm sure it would have been a simple matter for Amtrak to get clearance from BNSF to punch it to 81-82 and then go back down for a few seconds.

I doubt it. On the Acela episode, the speedometer was toggling between 150 and 151.

From the looks of it, he was in the middle of North Dakota, not much traffic there. I'm sure it would have been a simple matter for Amtrak to get clearance from BNSF to punch it to 81-82 and then go back down for a few seconds.
One can't ask the host RR for permission to do something that the FRA has declared illegal. If the dispatcher said yes, he'd be just as guilty. Not to mention that one might just get overheard asking for permission.

That said, running a train isn't an exact sience any more than running your car is either. That's why they allow a little leeway in things as long as you're not consistantly over the speed limit. So I'm sure that from time to time many an engineer has had his/her train up to 81 or 82 for a few seconds while waiting for the brakes to set up.

Perhaps they got clearance from the FRA to go 3 MPH over the speed limit on straight track, excellent visibility, no other traffic etc. Think about it, what better way than to show a safety system works than by testing it on a national television show. The layperson might see that and think "hmm, if the engineer screws up and we start speeding, computer will start complaining, Amtrak and railroads are a safe way to travel."

So, I have kind of a stupid question to follow-up to this. :ph34r: How does it work for trains such as the Southwest Chief where they can in areas run at 90. Are those locomotives programmed differently somehow to the alarms are not going off at 83 mph?

Dan

So, I have kind of a stupid question to follow-up to this. :ph34r: How does it work for trains such as the Southwest Chief where they can in areas run at 90. Are those locomotives programmed differently somehow to the alarms are not going off at 83 mph?
Dan
Precisely Dan. Amtrak even has some loco's programmed to run even higher, like those that run in Michigan on the higher speed tracks there, Empire Service, and of course on the NEC.

Precisely Dan. Amtrak even has some loco's programmed to run even higher, like those that run in Michigan on the higher speed tracks there, Empire Service, and of course on the NEC.
I know this is off topic, but which Michigan trains run faster, and how much faster?

That said, running a train isn't an exact sience any more than running your car is either. That's why they allow a little leeway in things as long as you're not consistantly over the speed limit. So I'm sure that from time to time many an engineer has had his/her train up to 81 or 82 for a few seconds while waiting for the brakes to set up.
A few times when I took the EB this year, my GPS was reading up to 82 MPH somewhere between MSP and CHI (I forget where).

A few times when I took the EB this year, my GPS was reading up to 82 MPH somewhere between MSP and CHI (I forget where).
Was it sustained? Or was it just a little blip?

I tuned in a little late so I missed the first.I noticed they showed a roomette,but did they show a bedroom?

Like so many others I wish they had explained about the Portland section. Let people get some current nitty gritty info about today's trains.

They could have done without that steam presentation. More step by step of the EB's own history would have been nice, though maybe I missed some at the first.

I am surprised nobody has compared our host with the late great Steve Irvin, the crock man of wild animal films.

Many of us tolerated his exteme hyperness, simce, after all, he knew what he was talking about. For me, I was facsinated by Steve Irvin for awhile. Then, I decided he was driving me crazy. Then, well before his untimely death by a sting ray, I decided again that I liked him and was amused by him.

Bet we would have liked this guy's wired-upness better if the presention had had more substance.

Oh and I think the sleeping car attendant was kind of backed into a corner about bed times at 3 a.m, etc. I think she was caught off guard and did not want to sound like some kind of diva who ordered everybody to bed at 7 or else!

I really don't know. Many times, I could not get a signal, and just did random readings.

Maybe Matt was in the cab! :lol: :lol:

I am surprised nobody has compared our host with the late great Steve Irvin, the crock man of wild animal films.
Just goes to show no one read my post several weeks ago........... :(
TOM, IIRC you're a writer or columnist or something like that, and as such you should be used to that kind of thing! <_< Just kidd'n of course! :lol:

When on the EB in October, I also notices 80 - 81 MPH a few times on my GPS. But it was only for 1 -2 minutes, never sustained. Mostly in North Dakota / Minnesota. Also saw 81 once on the CZ. Again, not sustained.

OH, BTW... The crock guy is Steve Irwin, not Steve Irvan. Just being picky. :blink: :unsure:

I was hoping to get a good view of the Superliner Sleepers, but instead we got the "Shaky cam with the odd angles". Granted, not really any room for a camera man, but that was a bit disappointing.
Otherwise, pretty interesting. Makes me want to take a trip.
Actually, my wife and I booked this trip both ways (Chicago Seattle Chicago) also using the Capitol Limited from Pittsburgh as a result of this show. I've never been on a US train before, only European ones.

I was hoping to get a good view of the Superliner Sleepers, but instead we got the "Shaky cam with the odd angles". Granted, not really any room for a camera man, but that was a bit disappointing.
Actually, my wife and I booked this trip both ways (Chicago Seattle Chicago) also using the Capitol Limited from Pittsburgh as a result of this show. I've never been on a US train before, only European ones.
Be sure to wander around out site checking out some of the topics so that you'll have a good idea of what to expect. :)

And don't hesitate to ask questions. :)

Be sure to wander around out site checking out some of the topics so that you'll have a good idea of what to expect. :)

Thanks! We go in early April and we can't wait! It's not about getting there, it's about the trip!

Thanks! We go in early April and we can't wait! It's not about getting there, it's about the trip!
Exactly! :)

Exactly! :)
I'm afraid I have to respectfully disagree that it's not about getting there! It's about both! If it wasn't about getting to where we are going, many of us would not be able to afford to allocate our limited dollars to train travel and would loose out on enjoying the trips! At least this is the case for my wife and myself!

I'm afraid I have to respectfully disagree that it's not about getting there! It's about both! If it wasn't about getting to where we are going, many of us would not be able to afford to allocate our limited dollars to train travel and would loose out on enjoying the trips! At least this is the case for my wife and myself!
I respectfully disagree with your disagreement! :D Although it is both, the journey is as or more important. That's why you chose to go from CHI to LAX via either ABQ or SAS! And why you chose to go from SDL to LAX via PDX! :p

Back