"Extreme Trains" Empire Builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtabern

Conductor
Just wanted to remind everyone to watch Tuesday night's "Extreme Trains" on the History Channel... it's going to be all about the Empire Builder. I actually saw their film crew interviewing people earlier this year while the train (#7) was stopped for the smoke break in Milwaukee. They had quite an amazing set-up... boom mic and everything. I got an e-mail from the producer I met and he said it's airing 12/16. I have a feeling it's going to focus more on the route through the Rockies than the Chicago to Winona, MN section that I work on a T&R guide, but it should still be fun.

Just wanted to remind everyone to watch Tuesday night's "Extreme Trains" on the History Channel... it's going to be all about the Empire Builder. I actually saw their film crew interviewing people earlier this year while the train (#7) was stopped for the smoke break in Milwaukee. They had quite an amazing set-up... boom mic and everything. I got an e-mail from the producer I met and he said it's airing 12/16. I have a feeling it's going to focus more on the route through the Rockies than the Chicago to Winona, MN section that I work on a T&R guide, but it should still be fun.

Do you work with Andrea? On my trip in Sept I had dinner with her.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/railfreak/285...57607285888520/

Thanks for the "heads up"!

"These are the GE P-42DC's. These things are awesome. They've got a combined 12,750 horsepower to get this train from Chicago to Seattle in just two days. I don't know how we're going to do this, but it's going to be extreme. But first, we need to do some

Hopefully they'll give some history on the line and talk about the Cascade Tunnel and how parts of the line were at one time electrified. It would also be nice if they cover the fierce competition that once existed on the Chicago-MSP runs. But I'm sure we'll be headed to Steamtown instead :)

Hopefully they'll give some history on the line and talk about the Cascade Tunnel and how parts of the line were at one time electrified. It would also be nice if they cover the fierce competition that once existed on the Chicago-MSP runs. But I'm sure we'll be headed to Steamtown instead :)
I'd like to see something about the SEA/PDX split at Spokane.

I can see it now: "If these railmen don't get it right this train will be delayed and we'll have a lot of unhappy passengers, and that won't be a good thing so they better get it right!"

Or...

""This train is so extreme, its actually two trains in one! We're gonna split this baby up and see how railroads really do it." Two hours pass, he is up in the PDX coach with the sleeping pax "See, wasn't that delay EXTREMMEE?!!"

Yep, Andrea Zoelle... I filled in for her a few times. We have 49 people in our group currently. The next time you ride drop me a PM and if I'm off work those 2 days I can ride and be your guide.

WOW. Can you believe this train? It winds from Chicago to Seattle AND Portland! It averages an EXTREMEly slow 50 MPH! What's Extremely COOL is that Portland is actually 50 miles further, but it makes the trip in 10 fewer minutes! WOW.

Get this - this Extreme Train utilizes COOKS in the kitchen! They offer FOOD cooked ON BOARD the train! It's amazing!

I miss Steve Erwin. :mellow:

Crikey.

Or...
""This train is so extreme, its actually two trains in one! We're gonna split this baby up and see how railroads really do it." Two hours pass, he is up in the PDX coach with the sleeping pax "See, wasn't that delay EXTREMMEE?!!"
... when it's 1 AM in Spokane and the PDX pax are EXTREMELY ASLEEP and EXTREMELY ANNOYED at being awakened :blink: :p

I don't have a TV and so haven't even seen this show, but it's fun to play along. Possibly more fun than watching the show, or is it actually good publicity for Amtrak even though it's very annoyingly done?

Wow. 20 posts so far (including mine) before the show even airs. Can't wait for the after-show discussion.

I guess this is an extreme thread.

I shouldn't be surprised. The thread about the Acela episode had 86 replies and 2,400 views.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yep, Andrea Zoelle... I filled in for her a few times. We have 49 people in our group currently. The next time you ride drop me a PM and if I'm off work those 2 days I can ride and be your guide.
You got it!

Thanx

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm watching this now. I don't mind the host's enthusiasm. The train hobby is hard to convey with excitement to the rest of the public.

So much missed opportunity in this episode. They brought up the fresh cooked foodd, lots of talk about the big tunnel and its history, and another segway about the steamer.

What was disappointing was that they kept showing the guy sticking his head out the window. What a misconception for future railriders! "But that guy on TV did it!" Also, he jumped past the yellow step. Another bad habit trying to look cool.

They didn't talk about the 27/807 split, or even the fact that the train went to Portland.

At least the show was followed by prostitutes in the Wild West.... :)

So much missed opportunity in this episode. They brought up the fresh cooked foodd, lots of talk about the big tunnel and its history, and another segway about the steamer.
What was disappointing was that they kept showing the guy sticking his head out the window. What a misconception for future railriders! "But that guy on TV did it!" Also, he jumped past the yellow step. Another bad habit trying to look cool.

They didn't talk about the 27/807 split, or even the fact that the train went to Portland.

At least the show was followed by prostitutes in the Wild West.... :)
Agreed, they didn't mention the PDX split at all!!

Back