Etiquette in a sleeper

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Use headphones. People talking on cell phones is bad enough. I'm sure you'd enjoy your music a lot more with good quality earphones rather than relying on the small speakers used in mobile device. I know I and those in other adjoining rooms would!

I am almost afraid to sneeze in the roomette now! They at least allow that in the quiet car!! :p

Hey, I love classical. How about the 1812 Overture?

For those who don't know it, it's a 13 minute peace that features truimphant cannon explosions and thunderous drums in the last part, intented to create a feeling of victory. I can not stay dry eyed while listening to it. And, it's by a brother bipolar schizophrenic, Peter Tchaikovsky, the same man who brought us the "Nutcraker". His mental storms were germane to auditory genius.

Last edited by a moderator:
Etiquette is a nice expression... for me, if I am forced to hear other folks music, loud voices, phones, etc, uninvited, that is a breach of common etiquette.

Ed. :cool:

I think Solti was actually better with Beethoven. Got to hear the CHI symphony and lyric opera a lot as a kid.

One of my favorite "celebrity" stories (I have this weird history of running into famous people in mundane places) of meeting Werner Klemperer in a bar on Rush Street (CHI) in the 70's. I walked up to him and struck up a conversation.

"I don't want to take about "hogan's heroes" were the first words out of his mouth."

"No no,,, I want to talk to you about your father Otto."

I didn't by a drink the rest of the night.

George Caldwell and Hilly didn't use headphones, they turned on the in room Music. But, I agree, headphones please.
True, but you may end up like George - thrown off the train by other passengers! :eek: :giggle:
True-But making a connection in a Stearman bi-plane, stolen Jaguar, and a cop car is still easier and with fewer connections than getting to most places in the US on Amtrak! Though, either way, one thing is certain, at some point you're going to have to arrive in Chicago.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I guess getting to know someone in the biblical sense is probably not a good idea, unless you are OK with the idea of your neighbors knowing about your carnal activities?

I've only traveled in roomettes but I am shocked (shocked, I tell you) how thin the walls are between roomettes. So, yes, headphones, please.

I'm a musician and carry a mandolin along on the train. The first time I brought it along I was on the Builder westbound and thought I was playing it so softly that nobody could possibly hear it elsewhere in the car. Wrong. Somewhere in North Dakota, the folks in the bedroom nearest me (at least two rooms away) asked very nicely if I'd be willing to play a little for their young daughter who was trying to pick an instrument to study. Of course I obliged, softly. I think they heard me as they were passing by my roomette, but I still play even softer than I did before.

Anyone care to discuss what air travel will be like if cellphones are permitted throughout the flight? Might that increase Amtrak's customer count? On planes I'm constantly asking people using headphones to turn down the volume. I've never had anyone refuse to do so or even seem annoyed by the request.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back