Engines on Sunset Ltd./Bayou Canot accident

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Off topic, is there anybody from the RAILROAD.NET forum here ?

My recently created account and posts were all deleted without any notice, is it a common practice in that forum ??

I am sure it has something to see with the fact I posted some photos of the wrecked engines but I've never seen this kind of manner before.

My recently created account and posts were all deleted without any notice, is it a common practice in that forum ??

I am sure it has something to see with the fact I posted some photos of the wrecked engines but I've never seen this kind of manner before.
Sorry to hear about that. BTW, where did you find that amazing photo of 819 being lifted out of the mud? I provided a link, but since all your stuff there has been deleted, no one can see it anyone. I said it earlier but I will say again, that picture speaks 1000 words.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes. RR.net sucks. The mods staff is ridiculously over the top heavy handed.
I occasionally browse the 2 Washington area commuter forums (MARC/VRE and WMATA) because there's some good info there (John Cambron posts some AWESOME WMATA-related content), but the rest of the place is a barren wasteland of hyper-moderated threads policed by a moderation staff with an overinflated sense of self importance.

RR.net sucks.
Yes, it does. :) :) :)

Sorry to hear about that. BTW, where did you find that amazing photo of 819 being lifted out of the mud? I provided a link, but since all your stuff there has been deleted, no one can see it anyone. I said it earlier but I will say again, that picture speaks 1000 words.
Thanks for your words.

I still can't believe how they (RR) handle my "case", I can understand the subject of my thread (the same as this one) could have shocked as well as the photos I posted (they show the violence and the horror of this accident) but what a rudeness to erase, as they did, my profile and posts !

*** This a message addressed to the administrators and moderators of this forum : if you think this thread and the photos attached to it are not appropriate, please do not hesitate to contact me, I'll remove them without delay. ***

About the photos, I found them quite a long time ago now so I unfortunately do not remember their source. I cannot credit them...:-(

(Except the last one that is credited.)

Here are they again, on this forum this time, for those who did not see them.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks for sharing these - the first picture is just utterly mind boggling.

I can't wrap my head around the lead locomotive getting driven that far into the riverbank.

(it also looks like the slide was scanned in reverse, the writing is wrong)

I don't believe it has been mentioned why the approach and final signals were still showing green after the barge had struck the bridge, if so I apologize.

When the barge struck the bridge, it pushed the rails out of alignment by about 38" (if I remember correctly), but did not break the rails. This meant that the electrical circuit controlling the signals was still connected which allowed the approach and final signals to remain green. If either rail had been broken, the electrical circuit controlling the signals would have been disconnected, and all signals would have gone to red immediately in plenty of time for the train to have been stopped.

There was also a photo I saw on the "Death On The Bayou" episode of "Crash Files: Inside the NTSB". In addition to second photo posted by X996, it also showed a picture from INSIDE the cab of one of the locomotives. It is hard to tell whether it is an F40 cab or a P40 cab, but it is another shocking picture nevertheless. It is a very good documentary, and if anyone is interested in watching it, go to YouTube and search "Death on the Bayou Crash Files Inside the NTSB.

Hi,

I watched this doc quite recently but I do not remember having seen any photo from inside a cab, could you tell me when is it in this documentary ?

It is in this very interesting tv report that one can see never seen before view of the #312 half submerged in the river.

image.jpg

Thanks.

Found it, regarding the shape of the roof, I'd say it is one of the F40 cab, no ?

attachicon.gif
image.jp
Yes. Only question is, which one?

The 819 made a few trips on 58/59 to Chicago as well as 19/20 to DC. It was on the way to Sanford for Auto Train engineers training. The 819, 262 and 312 were sent to Mobile where they were cut up for scrap.
Emphasis mine...and double bizarro:

Some time back there was a report of a documentary series, reputed to be Forensic Files, doing an episode on this wreck, and used O Gauge models in a diorama to re-create the accident as it unfolded (it was remarked that the O-Gauge equipment held up well to the repeated simulated wrecks). I never found any proof of this, however. None of the episode guides for the series mentioned any train wrecks. Maybe I didn't look hard enough.

Some years later (2011?) I embarked on a project to build an O Gauge approximation of the Amtrak Auto Train. I couldn't re-create it car-for car (technically possible, but not enough room or amps to do it) but was able to assemble 9 Superliners and 12 autoracks. The Genesis locomotives weren't available in the "wave" scheme, save for a limited edition made by MTH for Walthers, so the four Phase III units I had were sent to a custom painter. The two MTH units were numbered according to the numbers cast into their number boards. The Williams units, only having painted number boards, were renumbered according to whatever numerals the custom painter had left.

One of them by pure coincidence was redecorated into the 819, pictured in this RR.net thread (second page) about models whose prototypes were involved in accidents (I wasn't aware 819 was in the wreck till someone pointed it out after I posted photos to the O Gauge Railroading forum). What I didn't know at the time was that of the four repainted locomotives, this particular unit would have wound up assigned to my model Auto-Train since Williams sells power kits to install in it's non-powered locomotives, and I bought one of these this past fall in order to upgrade the non-powered Williams unit so I could have a four motored consist to pull the train. Up till today, I had no idea that the real 819 would actually have been in A-T service had it not been in the wreck.

---PCJ

Never watched this one but after a quick search the episode of Forensic Files about the Big Bayou Canot accident is "Visibility Zero", supposedly an episode of the 8th season.

The in-cab screenshot is the 312. The one on its side is the 262. Look thru the engineers windshield in that picture, there is no back wall or EC panel as in the in cab screenshot.

Yes you're right, the F40 on its left side is the #262.

I was talking about the locomotive that can be seen in the TV doc, next to the Genesis on the recovery barge. It is the #312 (no doubt as the numbers, not destroyed by the fire, are still visible).

image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back