Empire Builder travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

winnie6052

Train Attendant
Question for possible Feb travel CHI to Seattle or Portland.

Thinking about a trip in Feb. Looking for recommendations on visiting Seattle or Portland and return to Chicago based on hotels around station and things to do and see in city.

Also what is traveling coach like for this long of a trip like and is it possible to use a "hot deal" fare and upgrade on board to a roomette. Are there electrical outlets in coach for laptop use.

St Louis station information: There is now a Quik-trak machine at the temporary Amtrak station. The new Amtrak// St Louis inter modal station is supposed to open in first quarter 2008 giving passengers easy access to Metro Link (light rail) and bus transportation.

Trains running from St Louis to Kansas City and Chicago all have electrical plugs by each coach seat.

Thank You in advance for your help.

I wouldn't suggest going in coach for long distances. Plenty folks do it, but I really don't know how; maybe I'm spoiled in that respect.

It is possible to buy a cheap coach seat and upgrade aboard, for the lowest possible price. Keep in mind, however, that first class on this train is usually quite full, and there's a good chance that you'd spend some or all of the trip stuck in coach. This is a great train, and I think you'd be missing out by spending your time in coach.

As for plugs, I recall reading somewhere that the refurbished Superliner coaches now have one per two seats. Some else can confirm this for you.

If the sleepers are expensive and you can play around with the dates I would do that. Sometimes the sleepers are real high on one day and then lowest bucket fare on the next day. So if your schedule is flexible, check out different dates. I have travelled coach and in the sleepers. Thats a long way to go in coach. No shower, possibly some strange people, and not a great night(s) rest as well. Remember, in first class your meals are part of the cost of the roomette. So you think you might be saving alot by coach, but when you add in meals, it may not be so cost prohibitive.

Al

Two years ago I traveled in coach from Chicago to Seattle. It was a wonderful trip. The crew was fantastic and the passengers were all friendly. In fact, I have two friends from that trip that I still keep in touch with - flew back to Seattle last year and reconnected with one of them.

The first night of a train trip, I'm too pumped up to sleep, so spending the big bucks for a sleeper is a waste. The 2nd night I could sleep on a picket fence and have no trouble sleeping in a coach seat.

In Seattle I took two Greyline Bus tours, which went all over Seattle. On my own I went to the Space Needle, the downtown shopping area, and Pike Place Market.

Betty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back