Empire Builder and the Souris River

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that true about the detour? if so, does that mean my trip west on the EB leaving the 26th should be okay?
I am wondering about this as well.

So, after Alan replied to my Q and subsequent answer, I called Amtrak again and spoke to a different rep. I made sure to stress to her that the incident from this morning was not the issue affecting trains 50 & 51, and that I wanted to know the status of train number 7 and she said it is still listed as running. However, Amtrak's website said it cannot give times/status for the #7 train so I'm just as confused as before :(
Well if you checked the status for today, you got nothing because the westbound train hasn't run in a month due to the flooding in Minot. The very first westbound train will leave Chicago tomorrow. The very first eastbound left the westcoast today.

If you checked the status for the date you want to actually travel, then you'd get nothing since the train hasn't left the first station yet.

Now based upon the notice from BNSF that Anir posted, it sounds like BNSF will have things back in service by the time the first trains get there. So baring and further problems, you should be ok.

Not sure on the dates you are talking about? Do you need to be in Seattle this coming Friday, July 22nd or the following week? If your looking at the following week everything should be fine by then. This week it should be okay but I suspest you would get in a few hours late but I am only guessing.

Sorry for the confusion David, it is the 22nd I am set to be in by. I don't mind a few hours as long as I get there for the cruise ship. Thanks for the info and help guys :)

It would be fun to read reports from the passengers on the Empire Builder travelling east and west now that the service has restarted. Which parts of the journey should I stay awake to view the scenery etc?

I have found that this discussion forum very useful and thanks to all who participated.

Tried to check the status of the EB departing Seattle on the 17th on the Amtrak site and it will not show anything. Does anyone know whether it is actually running on to Chicago?

Tried to check the status of the EB departing Seattle on the 17th on the Amtrak site and it will not show anything. Does anyone know whether it is actually running on to Chicago?
It's running, pretty much on time. You couldn't find it on the 17th because the first departure was yesterday, July 18.

Checking Amtrak.com for today,Mon 07/18, it shows Seats Coach Seats Only Available on #7/#27,High Bucket Rooms on the CZ#5/Coach Seats only on the CS#14 in SAC to PDX/SEA and High Bucket Rooms on the SWC#3/CS#14 to PDX/SEA! So if youre going today and have the $$$ or Points you CAN get there on a Train if the good lords willing and the creeks don't rise Again! :help: (guess the Layover in SAC wont be so long with the Zephyr running so Late! Be interesting to see if the Builder can have a better OTP than the Zephyr and the Eagles also?? :eek: )

Last edited by a moderator:
It's running, pretty much on time. You couldn't find it on the 17th because the first departure was yesterday, July 18.
Today is July 18.
Man, the government shuts down and I lose track of the days. Yesterday sure enough was the 17th.

Just an FYI, the train is to run on the detour route between Minot & Fargo, ND. The stops at Rugby, Devils Lake and Grand Forks will be bypassed.

Just an FYI, the train is to run on the detour route between Minot & Fargo, ND. The stops at Rugby, Devils Lake and Grand Forks will be bypassed.
But they're selling tickets to Devils Lake. Admittedly I was checking tomorrow's departure because of timing but there was no service notice flag.

So they decide to wait until the Devils Lake line reopens, then they decide not to use it? More wave-action trouble on the lake crossing?

Mark

So they decide to wait until the Devils Lake line reopens, then they decide not to use it? More wave-action trouble on the lake crossing?

Mark
Well, another example of one end of Amtrak not knowing what the other end is doing. Turns out, as I had earlier believed, the Devils Lake sub is indeed open and there is no detour.

Sorry for the confusion.

Sure looks Nice to see #7 and #8 on the High Line and Running On Time! :) Hopefully they will be joined by todays #8 and #28 and that the rest of the Western trains can get out of the Red ASAP! Amtrak could use some Good Karma, it's been a tough year all over! :(

It's on the map as departing Milwaukee on time:

http://www.dixielandsoftware.com/scripts/getmap.pl?mapname=West

The BNSF tracks are still closed north of Minneapolis due to a derailment last Saturday that destroyed a bridge. BNSF expects one track to reopen this evening, which should be just in time for #7. I wouldn't be surprised to see several hours of delays due to lingering freight congestion, although if #7 is one of the first trains through it should have smooth sailing on the other side.

Mark

I am hearing reports in my official capacity that the 5-day forecast includes rains and increased flooding again. Any new updates from up that way?

Precip outlooks here:

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/day1-5.shtml

Looks OK for Minot and the Souris basin. Might be bad for Devils Lake - about two inches predicted there. Minnesota doesn't need more rain, but I don't think three inches there will disrupt BNSF/Amtrak.

Looking at recent EB status, it actually isn't losing that much time on the slow orders between Devils Lake and Rugby. Consistently losing an hour between Williston and Malta (slow orders due to Missouri River and recent track raise?) and between Grand Forks and Fargo (still slow orders left from spring flooding?). Most trains are on time until ND/eastern MT and +/- 3 hours late when they leave that region.

Mark

What happened to train #8 for 8-24--Amtrak just said an interruption of service? Was this because 7 got into SEA sooooo late that they just couldn't make the turnaround? That's a lot of people to try to accommodate.

:-(

What happened to train #8 for 8-24--Amtrak just said an interruption of service? Was this because 7 got into SEA sooooo late that they just couldn't make the turnaround? That's a lot of people to try to accommodate.

:-(
It appears the westbound EB due to arrive today (7/24) was terminated at Spokane since it was running over four hours late. When that happens, the passengers from Seattle and Portland due to leave on this afternoon's Builder are bused to Spokane, and the train status shows a disruption.

Back