Empire Builder and the Souris River

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couldn't they just go to Lowes and buy up a bunch of dehumidifiers and place them next to the tracks?

This just in.. EB to resume almost full service between Seattle, Portland and Chicago on July 17th and 18th.

Trains 8 & 28 will depart Sunday, July 17th to Chicago. Trains 7 & 27 will depart Chicago on Monday July 18th.

Unfortunately, there will be NO SERVICE to or from Minot, ND for the time being. It's tentatively out of service until July 31st. That might even be a bit optimistic. Apparently even some of the concrete platform washed away.
Thank you so much for passing this along. We're scheduled to head out of CHI to PDX on the 23rd so this is great news. I was pretty sure it would get open again soon but not sure if it would be soon enough for my trip.

I have been following the saga of the Empire Builder with great interest as we are due to travel from Boston to Seattle in September and return in October. From what I read it seemed that there was a lack of solid information being issued about the track repairs etc. which obviously affected the timetable of Amtrak. As there is several companies involved I would have thought that 'somebody' could have issued joint statements as to exactly what was happening. This would have kept passengers informed and put their minds at ease. Communications seem to be the growth industry of the century, except in this case. I sincerely hope that from now on everybody gets to ride the Empire Builder as booked and travels on time.

I have been following the saga of the Empire Builder with great interest as we are due to travel from Boston to Seattle in September and return in October. From what I read it seemed that there was a lack of solid information being issued about the track repairs etc. which obviously affected the timetable of Amtrak. As there is several companies involved I would have thought that 'somebody' could have issued joint statements as to exactly what was happening. This would have kept passengers informed and put their minds at ease. Communications seem to be the growth industry of the century, except in this case. I sincerely hope that from now on everybody gets to ride the Empire Builder as booked and travels on time.
Well said. IMHO, this whole thing has been a cluster ___ since June 21. I also apologize for sounding like an armchair quarterback. However, it looks like we can see the light at the end of the tunnel. :rolleyes:

I just spoke with Amtrak, and they think the EB will be running CHI-SEA on the date of my reservation, July 19 -- but they advised me to keep a backup reservation in case the cancellation is continued. I'm to call again Friday or Saturday to confirm.

Well, We are booked for the 28th, taking the capital limited from Toledo - Chicago, then onto Seattle on the Empire Builder! We were first booked June 2nd, then June 23rd, then July 8th.... We re-booked again this morning, it seems like we will finally be making it this time!! Fingers crossed!

Well, We are booked for the 28th, taking the capital limited from Toledo - Chicago, then onto Seattle on the Empire Builder! We were first booked June 2nd, then June 23rd, then July 8th.... We re-booked again this morning, it seems like we will finally be making it this time!! Fingers crossed!
According to a news release from Amtrak, the eastbound Builder departing Seattle and Portland this Sunday (7/17) will be the first through eastbound, and the westbound Builder departing Chicago this Monday(7/18) will be the first through westbound.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/travel/2015612727_webamtrak14.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The Service Alert re the EB has now disappeared from the Amtrak website, so I called and cancelled my backup reservation (CHI-LAX-SEA). Looks like I'll be leaving CHI for SEA via #7 on Tuesday the 19th. Thanks to everyone at AU for all the updates while this was going on. Amtrak could learn from you about how to keep customers notified!

The Service Alert re the EB has now disappeared from the Amtrak website, so I called and cancelled my backup reservation (CHI-LAX-SEA). Looks like I'll be leaving CHI for SEA via #7 on Tuesday the 19th. Thanks to everyone at AU for all the updates while this was going on. Amtrak could learn from you about how to keep customers notified!
FYI....it seems that the earliest you can get to Minot now is 9/1.http://www.omaha.com/article/20110715/AP/707159870

FYI....it seems that the earliest you can get to Minot now is 9/1.http://www.omaha.com/article/20110715/AP/707159870
From the article linked by Eric:

Some good news arrived Thursday: The full eastbound Empire Builder route will re-open Sunday, after more than a month of service suspensions. Westbound trains will leave Chicago for Portland and Washington starting Monday.
I assume by "Washington" the writer of the article means "Seattle."

Flooding around the Empire Builder line forced a 1,000-mile stretch of track to close between St. Paul, Minn., and north-central Montana. The full line runs from Chicago to Washington, then forks into Seattle and Portland. Without the Empire Builder, any passenger wanting to ride from Illinois to Montana would get rerouted — through California.
Here, presumably, "Washington" means "Spokane."

The latest disaster to affect the Empire Builder's route happened this morning slightly north of Minneapolis, where flash flooding from unusually heavy rainfall caused a bridge to collapse and overturn 17 loaded cars and 2 locomotives of a corn train. Though there are two main tracks and two separate bridges in this area, no trains are being allowed through until the derailed cars and leaking fuel from the locomotives can be cleaned up. The bridge that is still standing is also being carefully inspected to make sure it doesn't meet the same fate as the one next to it.

Here is a link to a news article, complete with photos and a video:

http://minnesota.cbs...ils-in-fridley/

Note that, if necessary, the Empire Builder can successfully detour around this site by taking a line that reaches Fargo by way of Willmar. The stops at St. Cloud, Staples, and Detroit Lakes would be bypassed by doing this, however. The detour route also necessitates the use of two BNSF pilots and includes well over 100 miles of 40 mph track.

The latest disaster to affect the Empire Builder's route happened this morning slightly north of Minneapolis, where flash flooding from unusually heavy rainfall caused a bridge to collapse and overturn 17 loaded cars and 2 locomotives of a corn train. Though there are two main tracks and two separate bridges in this area, no trains are being allowed through until the derailed cars and leaking fuel from the locomotives can be cleaned up. The bridge that is still standing is also being carefully inspected to make sure it doesn't meet the same fate as the one next to it.

Here is a link to a news article, complete with a photo of one of the derailed locomotives:

Note that, if necessary, the Empire Builder can successfully detour around this site by taking a line that reaches Fargo by way of Willmar. The stops at St. Cloud, Staples, and Detroit Lakes would be bypassed by doing this, however. The detour route also necessitates the use of two BNSF pilots and includes well over 100 miles of 40 mph track.
Man, what a mess! There is no way anything is going through there for quite sometime.

Ok, this is not good news. What kind of delays are expected? I am set to go through there on the Empire Builder the 22nd and I MUST be in Seattle for a cruise by 11AM on Saturday morning. My train was scheduled to come in around 10:25am Friday morning and my cruise ship leave Saturday morning.

Please let me know what to expect. Is there going to be that big of a delay to cause an issue? Will there be provisions to get around this? I've had tickets fro this trip for months, and this is my first time dealing with a trip like this let alone trains.

Thanks.

Ok, this is not good news. What kind of delays are expected? I am set to go through there on the Empire Builder the 22nd and I MUST be in Seattle for a cruise by 11AM on Saturday morning. My train was scheduled to come in around 10:25am Friday morning and my cruise ship leave Saturday morning.

Please let me know what to expect. Is there going to be that big of a delay to cause an issue? Will there be provisions to get around this? I've had tickets fro this trip for months, and this is my first time dealing with a trip like this let alone trains.

Thanks.

UPDATE:

Called Amtrak and spoke to a representative. The scoop she gave me is this:

The bridge that collapsed is only to affect Amtrak trains 50 and 51.

My train (#7) is supposedly not affected by this at all. Which is great news because I was beginning to hyperventilate :)

Figured I would just update this for those who would be interested.

Thanks.

UPDATE:

My train (#7) is supposedly not affected by this at all. Which is great news because I was beginning to hyperventilate :)

Unfortnately the representative is incorrect. She's correct that Amtrak is also having problems with trains 50 & 51 do to a bridge problem by Indianapolis. That's an old problem that has now been going on for well over a week.

This problem with the Empire Builder is brand new and I suspect that Amtrak is still talking with their host RR BNSF, on just what is going to happen. Stay tunned for news, but unfortunately you are not yet out of the woods. Sorry! :(

Thanks.

UPDATE:

Unfortnately the representative is incorrect. She's correct that Amtrak is also having problems with trains 50 & 51 do to a bridge problem by Indianapolis. That's an old problem that has now been going on for well over a week.

This problem with the Empire Builder is brand new and I suspect that Amtrak is still talking with their host RR BNSF, on just what is going to happen. Stay tunned for news, but unfortunately you are not yet out of the woods. Sorry! :(
Do you know if they would provide a reasonable alternative? I did state it was about the Fridley issue this morning but maybe that got last when she put me on hold and asked about the issue. I have a 1 day buffer and I want to make sure I do not exceed that limit and prepare accordingly.

Thanks for your help and let me know if you find something out asap!

Is that true about the detour? if so, does that mean my trip west on the EB leaving the 26th should be okay?

Is that true about the detour? if so, does that mean my trip west on the EB leaving the 26th should be okay?
I am wondering about this as well.

So, after Alan replied to my Q and subsequent answer, I called Amtrak again and spoke to a different rep. I made sure to stress to her that the incident from this morning was not the issue affecting trains 50 & 51, and that I wanted to know the status of train number 7 and she said it is still listed as running. However, Amtrak's website said it cannot give times/status for the #7 train so I'm just as confused as before :(

you might want to look into alternative ways of getting to seattle, at least as a backup. that way as things progress you can have an alternative plan at the ready if needed. it's not nearly as much fun to fly but if the EB continues to be delayed a plane will at least get you there. what are your travel plans after the cruise? if you have any flexibility, maybe you could try to take the train then, eastbound.

Shouldn't be an issue for EB service restart - from BNSF:

07/16/2011
Update Report: Derailment in Minneapolis, Minnesota

As stated in the Service Advisory issued July 16, 2011, Grain train G-NUMINB9-15 derailed in Minneapolis, Minnesota near our Northtown rail yard.

Main track two is estimated to return to service Monday, July 18 at approximately 12:00 p.m. CT with Main one estimated to return to service at 0830 a.m. Tuesday, July 19th.

you might want to look into alternative ways of getting to seattle, at least as a backup. that way as things progress you can have an alternative plan at the ready if needed. it's not nearly as much fun to fly but if the EB continues to be delayed a plane will at least get you there. what are your travel plans after the cruise? if you have any flexibility, maybe you could try to take the train then, eastbound.
As for myself, I cannot fly....I have claustrophobic issues with being in a plane. I would have to try and find a spot and sleeper on the CZ or the other train that runs to Cali then back up to Portland if EB shuts down...it will really be a drain for the added costs if that happens.

crossing my fingers I am still able to make the family wedding I am going to, esp since I am IN the wedding!

I just know that Amtrak can detour the train (and has during previous derailments between Minneapolis-Fargo), but I don't know that Amtrak will do that. In any event, I wouldn't worry at all about this affecting travel on the 26th. One of the tracks will have long since reopened by that time.

Because of the service disruption there should be no additional charge to change your ticket - it just becomes a matter of the room type being availalbe.

From what I see you will need to leave on Tuesday (from Chicago) to get into Seattle Friday night so you will be there in time for Saturdays activities if you take either the CZ or SWC.

We were scheduled on the EB but changed our reseervation at no charge because of the service interruptions we got a roomette but right now are scheduled in one for part of the trip and another for another part of the trip, which we would not have found if not for a very helpful res agent.

Seems like if anything can go wrong for Amtrak this year it is going wrong.

Good luck.

Back