Empire Builder and the Souris River

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got the word that "Trains 7/27 - 8/28 Service adjustment now extended through/including July 12th."

This is hot off the presses so it may take a short while to filter down to stations, ticket agents, customer service and reservations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been checking Amtrak site every now and then and it is now showing the July 20 sold out I think I need to think about other routes. Begining to lean towards SC any thoughts on it over CZ as far as more to see?

So, I Just got off the phone with Amtrak about my return trip home on July 9th from Washington, and they told me that the 9th is the first day they should have the EB back running....

I just called Amtrak about my July 15 reservation from Seattle to Milwaukee on the EB. I was told that the Jul 15 train hasn't yet been officially canceled, but that it's not looking very good. She could not guarantee that the train would run, so I very sadly canceled the reservation.

A look at the Amtrak reservation website shows "Travel Advisory" and "Sold Out" for the EB from Seattle through July 22, so I'm assuming they've got a pretty good idea that it's going to be a long outage.

Just got a phone call from Amtrak that my return train on July 9th was cxl.... I spoke with a very nice lady on the phone and she rerouted me to another train to come home.. I'm now taking the Train: 11 Coast Starlight from Seattle to Sacramento, and the 6 California Zephyr from Sacramento to Chicago

33 pictures from BNSF today:

http://www.bnsf.com/customers/pdf/weather/2011-06-27.pdf

My heart goes out to all those folks with homes on page 6 of that PDF.

Amazingly, the bridges in Minot look to be still in place beneath the flood, though whether they will be structurally sound is another matter. The Verendrye crossing is plenty high, though the water is above the concrete portion of the piers and BNSF has imposed a 10 mph slow order across it. The Devils Lake sub is within a foot or two of being overtopped, and with the water there having risen 2.5 feet since yesterday it may be under now.

Here's a map of the area for those unfamiliar. BNSF tracks are in red. The yellow and green highlighted areas are flooding.

EBMinotFloods.jpg

Given that Towner is far downstream of Minot, I expect that the KO sub will reopen first. Then Amtrak will have to decide whether to run the EB over the KO sub (bypassing Rugby, Devils Lake, and Grand Forks) or to wait for the Devils Lake line to reopen.

Mark
Hey Mark; nice piece of reporting. Only thing that wll save Amtrak service in this area is BNSF's desire to run freight trains...just hope there's room for a Builder in each direction !

We decided to change our July 20th EB to the SWC - got the last roomette and had to book a flight to get to Vancouver on time for our cruise. Since we haven't been on a train before we won't know what we are missing on the EB. I'm sure that if our experience is good will want to do it sometime. Amtrak moved us no charge but didn't get "anything extra" should we have asked for something because of the inconivence and having to pay $300 for flights to get us where the EB was going to get us?

We decided to change our July 20th EB to the SWC - got the last roomette and had to book a flight to get to Vancouver on time for our cruise. Since we haven't been on a train before we won't know what we are missing on the EB. I'm sure that if our experience is good will want to do it sometime. Amtrak moved us no charge but didn't get "anything extra" should we have asked for something because of the inconivence and having to pay $300 for flights to get us where the EB was going to get us?
Probably shouldn't expect anything for the inconvenience, BUT...it never hurts to ask. All the trains are great. Do the EB and the CZ some other time. I have a 9/21 EB ticket to PDX. Starting to even worry a bit about that. Good to have found this forum!

Amtrak moved us no charge but didn't get "anything extra" should we have asked for something because of the inconivence and having to pay $300 for flights to get us where the EB was going to get us?
While I can understand that you didn't want the uncertainty of waiting, the fact that you were proactive in making the change before Amtrak officially cancelled the train, pretty much kills your getting anything extra. In fact, Amtrak could have charged you the going rate for rooms on the Zephyr, instead of honoring the same price you had for the Builder.

Of course waiting for them to cancel could have found you with no options, as things could well have been sold out on the other trains by then.

BNSF has posted more photos of "Minot flooding." However most (or maybe all) of them are NOT FROM MINOT but were taken in Iowa (and not even on BNSF tracks) last year. Maybe BNSF is trying to impress on customers just how bad things are, but it seems more than a little disingenuous to post old photos from somewhere else as current photos from Minot.

Mark

Edit: Photos removed by BNSF

I prefer to think someone got the wrong file when uploading from Minot. The other set from the same day for Devils Lake look correct.

However being reminded of what it was like for Cedar Rapids Iowa in 2008 is not a bad thing for everyone experiencing flooding this year. CR had virtually no warning that the river was going to go as high as it did so had no time to throw up levees to keep the river even somewhat contained.

I'm hoping BNSF corrects the error (or maybe it was a hacker) soon.

I'm assuming you have a July 23rd. sailing, right??

The only thing I would have done differently would have offered to make a July 19th. departure from Chicago. While reminding the agent of your sailing date, you might have gotten a smoking deal on a SWC and CS ticket.

You're all set now! I know your pain & frustration!! Just keep in mind that not even Amtrak can control Mother Nature!!! AND, your 1st train ride is gonna be great !!!!

Have Fun

Thanks to finding/reading this forum I acted on my July 11th EB tickets from CHI to SEA.

I was holding out hoping that the line would be open ten days from now, OR that amtrak would find a route to get past the flooded area. Viewing the pics posted in this thread two days ago prompted me to pick up the phone and make moves. I agree with many who believe these tracks are WEEKS away from any amtrak service.

It took over 90 minutes but I was able to work with an amtrak CSR and make my way to SEA via the CZ and CS in Sacramento. Amtrak was very helpful working with me and I believe I got the last couple of sleepers available! Regardless of price differences, Amtrak washed everything and I did not owe any extra.

I love the EB and have taken it from CHI to SEA before. While I am disappointed I will not be taking it next week (on my honeymoon, by the way) i am thrilled that I will not be flying any stretch of my travels.

So, thank you to this forum for the information and thank you to amtrak for working with me through a grueling process!!

DB

Wilmington, DEL.

:hi: Congrats on the CZ/CS Snag and the Honeymoon! Weve had a Couple of Members that had their Honeymoons on Amtrak including Ryan from WAS to the NW! You can Google up the Trip Reports, Ryan does Excellent Reports and Pics! IMO the CZ/CS :wub: is a Better Route than the Empire Builder, Best of Luck to You and your Fiancee! :)

Just talked to a lovely Amtrak agent named Veronica re: the EB. I plan on leaving CBS on 9/21 and headed to PDX. She seemed to think that the continuous route would be up and running by 7/20 and surely by 8/1. She emphasized that after the water has subsided they have to allow enough time for the track bed to dry out for proper repairs if needed. Does this timeline make any sense to anyone else, or should I start make alternate travel plans?

:hi: Congrats on the CZ/CS Snag and the Honeymoon! Weve had a Couple of Members that had their Honeymoons on Amtrak including Ryan from WAS to the NW! You can Google up the Trip Reports, Ryan does Excellent Reports and Pics! IMO the CZ/CS :wub: is a Better Route than the Empire Builder, Best of Luck to You and your Fiancee! :)

thanks for the well-wishes jim!! we took the EB to Seattle a couple years ago, after that trip I knew she was a keeper!! our only regret on this trip is that we will go west and come back east following the same routes. That being said, I don't mind two trips through the rockies and the Pacific coast on the CS!!

Just talked to a lovely Amtrak agent named Veronica re: the EB. I plan on leaving CBS on 9/21 and headed to PDX. She seemed to think that the continuous route would be up and running by 7/20 and surely by 8/1. She emphasized that after the water has subsided they have to allow enough time for the track bed to dry out for proper repairs if needed. Does this timeline make any sense to anyone else, or should I start make alternate travel plans?
I can't think of any scenario, short of another flood, that would keep the line out of service past 8/10 or so. Little or no additional rain is predicted. Floodwaters should be below track level by around 7/7, might take a week after that for things to dry out. Track bed repairs are fast. Could be another couple of weeks if they need to repair/replace bridges. BNSF has a strong incentive to get the line open, so things should go pretty fast once the water recedes.

Mark

Back