Emp Serv to GCT, LSL NYP Suspended, Other NYP Changes 2018

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to what it's like being in Philly all the time.
All of Amtrak’s trains stop in the same station in Philly, so a cross town self transfer is nothing like what it’s like being in Philly.
Exactly. To take the subway from GCT to NYP requires you to take the 7 or 42nd Street Shuttle across to Time Square, and then transfer to the 1, 2, or 3 down to Penn Station. Those trains are absolutely packed at any reasonable hour, and luggage makes that ride that much worse. And before you suggest getting a cab, you're in mid town and cabs cost $$$ and take forever.

All of Amtrak’s trains stop in the same station in Philly, so a cross town self transfer is nothing like what it’s like being in Philly.
Exactly. To take the subway from GCT to NYP requires you to take the 7 or 42nd Street Shuttle across to Time Square, and then transfer to the 1, 2, or 3 down to Penn Station. Those trains are absolutely packed at any reasonable hour, and luggage makes that ride that much worse. And before you suggest getting a cab, you're in mid town and cabs cost $$$ and take forever.
I was referring to the fact you have to transfer at all, not that you have to go from Grand Central to Penn Station. If you want to go from Chicago to Penn Station, you can take the Capitol Limited to Washington and then an NER to Penn Station and forget about going through GCT or Albany.

All of Amtraks trains stop in the same station in Philly, so a cross town self transfer is nothing like what its like being in Philly.
I was referring to the fact you have to transfer at all, not that you have to go from Grand Central to Penn Station. If you want to go from Chicago to Penn Station, you can take the Capitol Limited to Washington and then an NER to Penn Station and forget about going through GCT or Albany.
Yeah, the only way the multiple stations is really relevant is if someone is connecting through New York. For many people going to New York, Grand Central is actually in a better location than Penn Station.

1.There is a tremendous amount of business based on the East Side.

2. The Lex and the 7 are attractive options for many.

3. MNRR is the way home for lots of folks.

4. There are a number of very good hotels on the East Side that travelers may wish to use.

1.There is a tremendous amount of business based on the East Side.

2. The Lex and the 7 are attractive options for many.

3. MNRR is the way home for lots of folks.

4. There are a number of very good hotels on the East Side that travelers may wish to use.
1. Plenty of business is done on the West Side2. The A is the longest route in the system and goes to JFK. The 2 and 3 go deep into Brooklyn and the Bronx. The A, C, and E are 2-3 stops from the B, D, F, and M. The M gets you to the LaGuardia Airport shuttle bus. And BTW, the 7 does not have much demand after only a handful of stops into Queens

3. Penn Station has LIRR and NJT.

4. There are plenty of hotels on the West Side and around 34th street.

For many people going to New York, Grand Central is actually in a better location than Penn Station.
What makes you say that? Penn Station has more mass transit options and is in a more convenient area.
The statement was “for many people...” not every person, not necessarily even most people, but many people. That statement is true, and there’s no point in trying to argue the counterpoint, which was never even challenged.

The above posts suggest that the ancient PRR vs NYC rivalriies and partisans still exist....
default_tongue.png

NYC, the ultimate devourer and destroyer of long distance passenger service.
default_angry.png

They did such a thorough job by the time Penn Central was formed that there was almost no real through New York - Chicago train left to run by the time Amtrak came about.

From the Amtrak announcement: Amtrak will have staff and Quik-Trak ticketing kiosks at Grand Central Terminal throughout the summer.

Of course, they don't define staff, but it is somewhat more trains than last year, and it is 7 days a week...I would be surprised if they don't at least have some folks there to assist with wheelchair movements.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure they would have at least a TM there to supervise train crews...not sure what station services employee's they would have...

Fortunately, GCT does have plenty of baggage golf carts. If GCT let Amtrak use some of those, they would have sufficient equipment to offer redcap service.

With all the talk about the lack of through New-York Chicago service this summer....I thought it would be interesting to post the Penn Central timetables from 50 years ago showing what was offered in April 1968.

Penn Central had just been formed in February 1968 and on the former New York Central....there was service through Canada to Detroit and Chicago or via Cleveland (today's Lake Shore Limited route)

The 20th Century Limited along with other 'Named Trains' had been discontinued the previous December....so there was now a collection of through cars switched between the two routes at Buffalo.

PDF's of the last 20th Century Ltd timetable and just about every New York Central passenger timetable are available here:

http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/timetables.htm

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I saw the MARC cab car, p32, amfleet and another MARC car on Sunday on a test run past Harlem into GCT -- guess qualifying sessions are getting into full swing

And over on the former Pennsylvania side.....the Broadway Limited still ran along with the Manhattan Limited, Pennsylvania Limited and the e/b Admiral.

(FYI....I believe Erie Lackawanna still had a Hoboken-Chicago train also in 1968)
Love it...if only we could have half of what was there, back then....(sigh)....

And yes, Erie Lackawanna's "Lake Cities" was still running until 1970 between Hoboken and Chicago Dearborn Station, via the old Lackawanna route to Binghamton, then the old Erie...

Thanks for posting that great nostalgia!!
default_smile.png

AM 1 including the split club/cafe/lounge are push pull compatible (per OTOL roster). The FL-9 would serve as the operating position as it is escape compatible, I am pretty sure the MARC cars have a door.
There are FL9s still out there that are available for use???
There are but it sounds as though that plan may have fallen through.

A lot has happened since I posted that comment over a month ago. But I give a new member credit for going back and reading through a thread before saying something. Unfortunately, he missed the part about the FL-9 deal failing and the mods to the noses of Amtrak P32s. Since Thirdrail (one of the most reliable members) seemed to confirm that course., I'd bank on it.

Back