Emp Serv to GCT, LSL NYP Suspended, Other NYP Changes 2018

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The P32s are all modified. The cab cars are returning to MARC.
Darn it! I was hoping to see one of those weird consists, in person.
default_sad.png

Here are a couple videos of the MARC cab cars traveling southbound on the Springfield Line:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmraTerxF1M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijLk4QDfG-M
Wait, why did they have a P42 in the front and a Dash 8 in the rear, with both of them running reverse? Literally every car in that train is a cab car, and they've got locomotives on both ends, but they chose to run the Dash 8 in the front, running in reverse with limited visibility? I know there's gotta be some reason for that, but it just strikes me as the dumbest consist choice I've ever seen.

Here are a couple videos of the MARC cab cars traveling southbound on the Springfield Line:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmraTerxF1M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijLk4QDfG-M
Wait, why did they have a P42 in the front and a Dash 8 in the rear, with both of them running reverse? Literally every car in that train is a cab car, and they've got locomotives on both ends, but they chose to run the Dash 8 in the front, running in reverse with limited visibility? I know there's gotta be some reason for that, but it just strikes me as the dumbest consist choice I've ever seen.
If I was the engineer on a route with lots of grade crossing accident potential....I think I would prefer to operate with the long hood forward....
default_wink.png

It probably has to do with the fact that the 514 was one of the only diesels that was in the area to assist with the various moves this train is going to be involved in and that was the way it was pointed when it arrived. That is why the P-32s are used in work train service. They can run either direction if necessary.

Interesting...could you explain what that line about:

"Replace and lower 645 feet of the track infrastructure between the Empire Tunnel and the 157/159" is about?
default_unsure.png
I believe that is to help with the Empire Access plan. There is a plan to alter an overhead bridge support to allow a ladder to reach from the Empire Connection to (I believe ) 13 track. Currently, you can only go as high as 9tk. To accomplish this, they have to lower the track from the Empire tunnel to allow it to meet with the tracks that are rising from the North tube so they may join earlier.

Interesting...could you explain what that line about:

"Replace and lower 645 feet of the track infrastructure between the Empire Tunnel and the 157/159" is about?
default_unsure.png
I believe that is to help with the Empire Access plan. There is a plan to alter an overhead bridge support to allow a ladder to reach from the Empire Connection to (I believe ) 13 track. Currently, you can only go as high as 9tk. To accomplish this, they have to lower the track from the Empire tunnel to allow it to meet with the tracks that are rising from the North tube so they may join earlier.
I thought the plan was to extend the easternmost ladder track in the A interlocking that connects to the higher tracks, across two tracks to connect to the Empire Connection. If that is done, you'd get access all the way upto track 18 or so. Has that changed?

Looking at the track diagram of A interlocking, am at a loss as to where they would put a special crossover to connect only upto track 13.

That is what I believe was supposed to happen. However, I think they have amended the plan and you'll only be able to reach 13tk via the crossover on 12tk. This is was as of last month but it is hardly something I keep track of.

I can reach out to a key person and find out though. It's too bad. We were just at a retirement a few days ago. I could have asked him.

Is it possible that they would have to cut out some of the longer platform ends to reach the higher numbered tracks? Can't remember the layout that well....

But thanks guy's, for the explanation....I had some weird imagination of them trying to increase the clearance on the Empire Line to allow higher cars, but that doesn't make any sense...
default_smile.png

Back