Email/Text Notification of Ticket scanning?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Mariners tickets are 4 half season tickets. If one, two or all four seats are not used for one game, that does not mean any seats for any other games are cancelled.
So if for some reason we have a late problem and have to be driven to South Station instead of taking the Downeaster and we do not contact Amtrak we would have the next four trains on that reservation cancelled. I don't believe that is fair, correct or that most "casual or first time riders" would have a clue this could happen to them.

Just read the AmtrakBlue post above. Hopefully problem solved. We pay for our tickets 8 or 9 months before scheduled travel. We bought the roomettes and business class seats and they should be ours whether or not we use them. I know it would make no sense not to get refunds if we were not to use them, just making the point that we paid for them and Amtrak has their money.
Did you buy multi-ride tickets? Those would not be affected by the no-show cancellation policy. I'm pretty sure, though I've never used them, that they are considered individual trips even if they're on one "reservation".

The Mariners tickets are 4 half season tickets. If one, two or all four seats are not used for one game, that does not mean any seats for any other games are cancelled.
So if for some reason we have a late problem and have to be driven to South Station instead of taking the Downeaster and we do not contact Amtrak we would have the next four trains on that reservation cancelled. I don't believe that is fair, correct or that most "casual or first time riders" would have a clue this could happen to them.

Just read the AmtrakBlue post above. Hopefully problem solved. We pay for our tickets 8 or 9 months before scheduled travel. We bought the roomettes and business class seats and they should be ours whether or not we use them. I know it would make no sense not to get refunds if we were not to use them, just making the point that we paid for them and Amtrak has their money.
That's a totally different situation. The cancellation applied only to further segments on the same ticket as the initial segment, or possibly a return trip on a round trip ticket. It's a reasonable assumption that if you didn't make the first train, you won't be at the connecting station to make the next train. Arguable, but reasonable.

If you miss the first game, the team might assume that you died, left the country, or lost interest, but that's a much more tenuous assumption.

Has anyone seen a second source (or official?) of this good information?
Association News
aaf936cc-e7c8-c558-b9d1-c6f221427456.png

Passenger Notice​

We have learned from a reliable source that, starting this Sunday (August 6th), Amtrak passengers will NOT have their entire trip cancelled if they miss a segment for any reason. (A common occurrence of "missing a segment" is a conductor not scanning your ticket while you are onboard. )

For example, if you miss the first segment of your trip but are able to take your own transportation to catch your second segment, you will still be able to continue your journey as planned. No need to contact the call center, you will be automatically scanned in for that first segment.
... this from the RPA association weekly hotline.

Association News
aaf936cc-e7c8-c558-b9d1-c6f221427456.png

Passenger Notice​

We have learned from a reliable source that, starting this Sunday (August 6th), Amtrak passengers will NOT have their entire trip cancelled if they miss a segment for any reason. (A common occurrence of "missing a segment" is a conductor not scanning your ticket while you are onboard. )

For example, if you miss the first segment of your trip but are able to take your own transportation to catch your second segment, you will still be able to continue your journey as planned. No need to contact the call center, you will be automatically scanned in for that first segment.
... this from the RPA association weekly hotline.
That’s the same source, just on a different platform. ;)

That’s the same source, just on a different platform. ;)
Would it help to know that an Amtrak executive communicated this to an executive of RPA. In any case no one is preventing anyone from chasing the Conductor down to get the ticket lifted regardless. 🤷🏻

Searching the memory banks. My experience has been consistent over the years:
Coach tickets: After they stopped collecting paper and started scanning, always scanned in coach.
Sleeper tickets: SCA checks you off on their manifest as you board. Never issue there.
Thruway bus: Driver either checks you off a list or scans with their phone. If connecting to a sleeper the SCA will still verify your name as you board.
Where I HAVE had issues: "Bustitutions" where the drivers may have no connection to the Amtrak system. Good idea to be vigilant in this circumstance. Trying to remember how they did it on our Builder trip years ago, there was a last minute bustitution from Seattle to Everett, WA and the drivers did not, to the best of my recollection, check anything, but the SCAs and conductors aboard the train were very thorough - vague memory of SCA AND conductor checking tickets.

This assumes that you can find the conductor.
They can usually be found occupying half the tables in the Cafe Car. At least that has always worked for me so far :D specially when I am looking for a seat by a table in the Cafe. ;)

They can usually be found occupying half the tables in the Cafe Car. At least that has always worked for me so far :D specially when I am looking for a seat by a table in the Cafe. ;)
On Superliners, when not in the Diner or Cafe, the best place to find Conductors is in the Transdorm ( IF One is on the Train) Office/ Crew Lounge Downstairs.

You can also ask your SCA or Coach Attendant if you can find them!!😄

On the Pennsylvanian, the conductor was comfortably reclined in a coach car that was mostly empty. Perhaps he had directed passengers to the other coaches so that he could relax undisturbed. :D

In fall 2020 he was not in his "office" on the Cardinal!

It is more important to occupy a table that is meant for customers. That is a critical requirement :D Office does not satisfy that critical need to establish ones hegemony. ;)

It is more important to occupy a table that is meant for customers. That is a critical requirement :D Office does not satisfy that critical need to establish ones hegemony. ;)
I sense alot of resentment or bitterness toward the conductors in alot of these posts from various folks. What am I missing about what a conductor is supposed to be doing vs what they are perceived as doing (or not doing)? I've been on several LD trains and have not observed anything I would deem as inappropriate; that being said, I am not sure what I am supposed to be observing them doing.

I sense alot of resentment or bitterness toward the conductors in alot of these posts from various folks. What am I missing about what a conductor is supposed to be doing vs what they are perceived as doing (or not doing)? I've been on several LD trains and have not observed anything I would deem as inappropriate; that being said, I am not sure what I am supposed to be observing them doing.
Very simple. They should not be occupying two or three tables in the Cafe, each occupied by one person. This is a bigger problem in medium distance trains and single level LD trains perhaps and less so on Superliner trains. This has been discussed at length here and has been a persistent problem.

Last edited:
Very simple. They should not be occupying two or three tables in the Cafe, each occupied by one person. This is a bigger problem in medium distance trains and single level LD trains perhaps and less so on Superliner trains. This has been discussed at length here and has been a persistent problem.
Has the RPA broached this with Amtrak?

It has been mentioned but no response, from what I understand. Amtrak has generally been less than successful in managing their line employees. The reason I don;t know.
Could it be because the Suits don't ride the Trains,so there is No-one to hold OBS Accountable when they do it their way!???

Presumably they will reinstate the reservation only if space is still available? What do they do if space is not still available?

I've seen this situation very few times and space was always opened up and the reservation reinstated. Although, in light of the recent policy change, this is now a non-issue.

Could it be because the Suits don't ride the Trains,so there is No-one to hold OBS Accountable when they do it their way!???

Ding. Ding. Ding.

SCAN AT AMTRAK KIOSK
Print this confirmation page.
Scan the barcode under the scanner.
Touch the "Print Tickets" button.

THIS IS NOT A TICKET

==========================================================================
Reservation Number Is
SubTICKETING INFORMATION
---------------------------------------
Pick up your tickets at any Amtrak kiosk, or at any Amtrak ticket window. Check station operating
hours before you go; ticket window and kiosk hours vary from station to station. Your entire reservation
(all segments) will be cancelled if you do not pick up your tickets before your first departure or if you
no-show for any segment in your reservation. If your reservation cancels, you will need to make a new
reservation, which may be at a higher fare.
ject To Cancellation Unless Tickets Printed By September 4, 2023

Is this something new? We have gone on 3 week trips the last 2 years and I have never done this. We have printed at home tickets than are scannable and also have them on our phone with QR codes.

SCAN AT AMTRAK KIOSK
Print this confirmation page.
Scan the barcode under the scanner.
Touch the "Print Tickets" button.

THIS IS NOT A TICKET

==========================================================================
Reservation Number Is
SubTICKETING INFORMATION
---------------------------------------
Pick up your tickets at any Amtrak kiosk, or at any Amtrak ticket window. Check station operating
hours before you go; ticket window and kiosk hours vary from station to station. Your entire reservation
(all segments) will be cancelled if you do not pick up your tickets before your first departure or if you
no-show for any segment in your reservation. If your reservation cancels, you will need to make a new
reservation, which may be at a higher fare.
ject To Cancellation Unless Tickets Printed By September 4, 2023

Is this something new? We have gone on 3 week trips the last 2 years and I have never done this. We have printed at home tickets than are scannable and also have them on our phone with QR codes.
I wonder if it's a glitch. I'd call to find out and see if they'll send you eTickets. Especially if don't have a staffed station nearby and the station you do have nearby does not have kiosks (as is the case with a station near me)

I wonder if it's a glitch. I'd call to find out and see if they'll send you eTickets. Especially if don't have a staffed station nearby and the station you do have nearby does not have kiosks (as is the case with a station near me)
Why should anyone be required to pick up a purchased eticket? I agree, it must be a glitch but you never know. Amtrak might be outdoing itself with this one.

Why should anyone be required to pick up a purchased eticket? I agree, it must be a glitch but you never know. Amtrak might be outdoing itself with this one.
Until recently we did have to pick up Open Sleeper tickets at a staffed station or have them mailed to us. It's been reported that they are now issuing eTickets for those, too.
This glitch may be related to updates to their systems for the Open Sleeper tickets.

Back