Elyria station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

northnorthwest

Service Attendant
Is there an actual Elyria station? From an internet search and some news articles it seems there was a fire at the station, and now on the amtrak site it says "no enclosed waiting area." So it's just a place along the tracks where the train stops? Not exactly ideal for waiting for the often hours-late routes that service the town....I have to go to Oberlin in the spring and noticed this is the closest station (or non-station). Any experiences there?

I got curious and found this:

http://www.greatamericanstations.com/Stations/ELY

http://www.greatamericanstations.com/Stations/ELY/station_image

Apparently that's the glass shelter that replaced the burned out building.

dsc00032.jpg

It's a bus stop like glass enclosure currently.
Amtrak.com says: " platform only [no shelter]"
I know what Amtrak.com says. I've gone on this route multiple times, Through Elyria. There is a small glass bus stop like enclosure.
So, who at Amtrak do we complain to about this gross piece of misinformation? [LOL]

And you could've mentioned in your first post that you'd been through there multiple times. We're not mind readers here.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I passed through on the LSL this summer, it didn't seem to be in that good of shape.

Still, it almost seems better than certain Amshaks.

If you're going to/from Oberlin via the train, I would hope you have someone to give you a ride to or from the station in the early morning hours. Possibly you could wait in the car until shortly before the train arrives. Just don't wait too long that they whistle stop and miss you.

Amtrak doesn't always count those bus-stop things as shelters on its website.

There are long-standing city plans to relocate Elyria station to the old New York Central station, but it's been tied up in design negotiations forever, which means it hasn't even started to get funding.

What exactly qualifies as a shelter? I've looked at the stations I pass through that are unstaffed. The ones with awnings (even small ones) are listed as "Platform with Shelter", such as OAC, HAY, or SCC. There are a couple of stations under an overpass where one can theoretically take shelter from rain, but they're listed as "Platform only (no shelter). I'm not sure about GAC though. They have something off the side that sort of looks like a shelter. There's more room under the overpass though.

What exactly qualifies as a shelter? I've looked at the stations I pass through that are unstaffed. The ones with awnings (even small ones) are listed as "Platform with Shelter", such as OAC, HAY, or SCC. There are a couple of stations under an overpass where one can theoretically take shelter from rain, but they're listed as "Platform only (no shelter). I'm not sure about GAC though. They have something off the side that sort of looks like a shelter. There's more room under the overpass though.
I don't know, but I checked Sanderson, TX and Deming, NM which have similarly small shelters and both are for some reason listed as no shelter. But then again it's Amtrak, so should inconsistency surprise us?

Sanderson has a Shelter? Last time I was there ( last Oct) it was just a crumbling platform since the old SP Station was torn down a couple of years ago??!!

Thanks for the pic! Even though Sanderson is a Flagstop, the Sunset seems to make stops there regularly, so its good to know pax have at least some shelter from the West Texas Wind!!

There is the Capitol Limited. Still arrives in the middle of the night.
Yea, but I would have to get off the train at 4:18 AM and there is no public transportation at Elyria. While I can ask someone to pick me up, I can't ask them to pick me up at 4:18 AM. And the train departs Elyria at 4:50 AM too.

There is the Capitol Limited. Still arrives in the middle of the night.
Yea, but I would have to get off the train at 4:18 AM and there is no public transportation at Elyria. While I can ask someone to pick me up, I can't ask them to pick me up at 4:18 AM. And the train departs Elyria at 4:50 AM too.
Toledo's trains all arrive between 1130pm-6AM

The Elyria Greyhound stop is at the same place as the train, isn't it? At least that's what I thought it appeared to be when I passed through on my way to Cleveland. Interesting little old downtown district.

So I did a little research, since I often travel to Oberlin, but usually have to rule out the train because of the bad arrival times. This is, in fact, the one time I pray that the westbound LSL will be as late as possible.

That said,

Here's a useful site when you make your trip:

https://oncampus.oberlin.edu/classifieds/rides-offered

There are ads from students et al who do a little business on the side shuttling to ELY - it'll looks like it'll be cheaper than a taxi, which is also available, and maybe more fun.

I was on Train 1 this past May and a grand total of one passenger boarded at Sanderson, so the Conductor told me.
I was on Train 1 this past May and a grand total of one passenger boarded at Sanderson, so the Conductor told me.
One passenger in how many years? :)This is a stop I can't really understand. ​
Total Passenger Count: 2014= 283( It's a Flag Stop!)

Lowest # of Passengers in the AmtrK System just ahead of Pri

Thurmond,WV on the Cardinal Route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back