Easiest route from CharlestonWV to NE Indiana?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am clueless here. My Mother took the Amtrak out of Fort Wayne, Indiana years ago to visit my sister in Philadelphia, but I believe there is no longer an Amtrak train stopping there. I have a friend from Charleston, WV that would like to visit me. There is a station in Charleston, however, where is the closest Amtrak to me?!! Many of our Amtrak stops have been eliminated in Northern Indiana. I'm about halfway between Fort Wayne and South Bend, Indiana. Is there an Amtrak passenger service in Garrett, Indiana? Anyone able to help me here? I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Well the closest Amtrak stop to Garrett would be Waterloo IN. The problem with that is your friend would need to ride the train from Charleston to Chicago, hang around for half a day in Chicago and then catch a train from Chicago back to Waterloo.

To do this your friend would need to catch Amtrak's Cardinal train #51, a train that only runs 3 days a week on Sunday, Wednesday, and Fridays at 10:05 PM out of Charleston. They would overnight on the train, arriving into Chicago at 10:40 AM the next day, assuming an on time arrival.

They would then need to catch Amtrak's Capitol Limited train #30, departing Chicago at 5:35 PM arriving into Waterloo at 8:17 PM assuming an on time arrival.

To return they would catch the Lake Shore Limited train #49, from Waterloo at 6:18 AM arriving into Chicago at 9:30 AM. They would then catch the Cardinal train #50 at 7:45 PM. Note it only runs on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. They would then arrive back in Charleston the next day at 10:06 AM.

The Cardinal also passes through Indianapolis, although it hits that station in the middle of the night, so you might be able to pick your friend up there too if that were convienent.

Hoosier Honey,

The route that ran through Fort Wayne, known as the Broadway Limited, was unfortunately rerouted years ago. It later became the Three Rivers, which ran along a more northerly path through Napannee. That route is now eliminated, so the only remaining Amtrak service to that part of Indiana is on the northern tier of the state. Waterloo, IN is the closest station to Fort Wayne.

The only route your friend can take is to go via Chicago. Your friend would have to board the westbound CARDINAL in Charleston. This train runs three days a week. It leaves at 10:59 PM on Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday nights. It gets to Chicago at 10:40 AM on Monday, Thursday, and Saturday mornings. From there, your friend would have to wait around in Chicago until 5:35 PM. The eastbound (daily) CAPITOL LIMITED leaves then, and it gets to Waterloo at 8:17 PM in the summer months (when Chicago observes Daylight Savings Time; Indiana does not), and 9:17 PM in the winter months (when DST is not in effect).

For a more scenic, and longer trip, one can also transfer between the CARDINAL and CAPITOL LIMITED in Washington, DC. However it would require an overnight stopover.

Another note: If you don't mind driving to South Bend to pick up your friend, they might get to the area sooner by taking a commuter rail line called the South Shore Line. This leaves from a different station in Chicago than the one Amtrak uses, and ends up at the Michiana Regional Airport in South Bend. This should result in a much earlier arrival in Indiana, and much less dwell time in between trains in Chicago. http://www.nictd.com/

I'm sure others will drop by with their suggestions; in fact I see one has already.... :lol:

The Cardinal's timetable is here. It makes several stops in Indiana on its way to Chicago. One of those other stops may be more convenient to you.

Keep in mind that, due to freight train congestion, long-distance trains can often run late. If you plan on meeting your friend at one of these stations, you might want to check Amtrak.com or call 1800-USA-RAIL to check on the train's status before heading out. This is particularly important since many of these smaller stations do not have ticket agents or other Amtrak staff (indicated on the timetable by a white circle to the right of the city).

Your friend could ride to Chicago, then connect to the Capitol Limited to South Bend. Alternatively, as has already been noted, you can ride the South Shore to South Bend. This would require a bus ride, long walk, or cab ride across downtown to the Randolph Street Station (all Amtrak trains serve Union Station).

AlanB said:
Kevin,
Is that the new departure time from Charleston in the Fall timetable? :unsure:
Not according to the timetable I have (nor Amtrak's website).

I didn't take into consideration that the new timetable has such a drastic change. The information from the old printed timetable is valid until and including this coming Sunday's departures. :)

Superliner Diner said:
I didn't take into consideration that the new timetable has such a drastic change. The information from the old printed timetable is valid until and including this coming Sunday's departures. :)
Well, even the current timetable has the train departing at 10:05 pm from Charleston.

Sam Damon said:
I think Superliner Diner grabbed an old TT from his collection.
BZZZZZT! Wrong answer, Sam. :eek: I don't keep a collection anymore. No room for it.

Yes I was wrong about the time, upon further scrutiny with my glasses on B) and the lights on. If you read that timetable in the dark with only the light coming from the computer monitor and with less than 20/20, you'll see 10:59 also.

Even the best of us make mistakes at times. My apologies to the HoosierHoney who deserves the correct information she sought.

Back