Dome car on CZ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One more short dome, I left out....PS also built low profile versions for the B&O that looked similar to the ones the Super Chief had, but were designed to run with the stairways to the rear...

Heres an exMilwaukee Pullman Standard Super Dome:

75-10Scan10002.JPG

My first Dome ride was in a Budd built Skyline on CPs Canadian then returning on CNs Super Continental. I remember being disappointed in the lack of the forward view on the Super Dome that you got from the Budd Dome.

For comparison.....note how much lower the seating is in the Super Dome. To see forward or back over the roof of the adjacent cars, you have to stand.

Image.jpg

Now the forward view from a Budd Dome (still in use today on VIA):

BC%20002.jpg

And here's a link to everything you ever wanted to know about Domes!

http://www.trainweb.org/web_lurker/WebLurkersDOMEmain/

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres an exMilwaukee Pullman Standard Super Dome:
75-10Scan10002.JPG

My first Dome ride was in a Budd built Skyline on CPs Canadian then returning on CNs Super Continental. I remember being disappointed in the lack of the forward view on the Super Dome that you got from the Budd Dome.

For comparison.....note how much lower the seating is in the Super Dome. To see forward or back over the roof of the adjacent cars, you have to stand.

Image.jpg

Now the forward view from a Budd Dome (still in use today on VIA):

BC%20002.jpg

And here's a link to everything you ever wanted to know about Domes!

http://www.trainweb.org/web_lurker/WebLurkersDOMEmain/
Thanks for that link!! As they say, 'a picture is worth a thousand words'...... :)

One more short dome, I left out....PS also built low profile versions for the B&O that looked similar to the ones the Super Chief had, but were designed to run with the stairways to the rear...
AFAIK,only the B&O equipped its domes with outside floodlights on the right, front side; for ease in viewing the surrounding countryside at night.

That said, I believe some an ex-Wabash dome was retrofitted with floodlights when used on a dinner train in New Hampshire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back