Does the media hate Amtrak?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching the video, it was not bad as the OP made it out to be. Was a general review of what was going on and when it came to Amtrak, he stated trains were "picking up the slack and running on time"! I'd say that was pretty good!

Yeah, I wouldn't describe the planes as "bright, shiny, and sparkly" either. They were covered in ice, snow, and slush and looked pretty miserable.

I think you imagined right. This kind of thing happens all the time in my area. The TV news people have their fixed locations for every type of story.I think it must be the same every where.

Then again many of them can;t tell the difference between a Super Constellation and a 777 either :)
Ah... one of Kelly Johnson's finest.. there aren't many left flying, but when I see one it always brings a smile to my face. [Kelly was so far ahead of his time, to incorporate the upper fuselage surface as a lifting body/surface (while everyone else envisioned the fuselage as simply an extended right cylinder)].

Last edited by a moderator:
Then again many of them can;t tell the difference between a Super Constellation and a 777 either :)
Ah... one of Kelly Johnson's finest.. there aren't may left flying, but when I see one it always brings a smile to my face. [Kelly was so far ahead of his time, to incorporate the upper fuselage surface as a lifting body/surface (while everyone else envisioned the fuselage as simply an extended right cylinder)].
And I would feel safer flying on the 1049 Super Connie than the Trip 7 :) Before it became a Hangar Queen I crewed several times on the Airline History Museum N6937C and she never gave anything less than a nice smooth ride.

Ah... one of Kelly Johnson's finest.. there aren't may left flying, but when I see one it always brings a smile to my face. [Kelly was so far ahead of his time, to incorporate the upper fuselage surface as a lifting body/surface (while everyone else envisioned the fuselage as simply an extended right cylinder)].
And I would feel safer flying on the 1049 Super Connie than the Trip 7 :) Before it became a Hangar Queen I crewed several times on the Airline History Museum N6937C and she never gave anything less than a nice smooth ride.
A truly versatile bird: my last flights were on a ex-TWA 1049, outfitted as an aerial crop-sprayer operating out of Winnipeg, dodging power lines and making aerobatic quality 180s at the end of fields to make another pass - a Stearman might be more agile, but if one is spraying 15,000 gallons worth over 10 mile fields: although not designed/intended for such service, did a mighty fine job of it.

You all flew on planes that had parts made by my father. He did hundreds of flap tracks, stringers, and other parts. He was a machinist at Plant A-1 in Burbank, right next to Lockheed Headwaters building and where all of the Connies metal was fabricated.

I must admit that some of the TV headliners jokes about Amtrak -- Jay Leno especially -- were quite funny. I especially enjoyed his comment from several years ago that Amtrak could save money by giving all of their employees cars to drive the Amtrak passengers to their destinations instead of using trains.

You all flew on planes that had parts made by my father. He did hundreds of flap tracks, stringers, and other parts. He was a machinist at Plant A-1 in Burbank, right next to Lockheed Headwaters building and where all of the Connies metal was fabricated.
My hat's off to him - he did damn fine work.... the "connie" was a class airframe and well ahead of its time :)

Clearly way OT... but still one beautiful bird...

6937C:

6937C.jpg

... though probably the same feelings that exist for pristine private varnish are shared (bringing the discussion back to Amtrak and the love of train travel).

Last edited by a moderator:
All media should try and be objective. I work in TV news and feel the station I work for is good at that. If there is a bad incident involving a train, yes, we report that... but if there is something cool going on with Amtrak... I like to make sure that is reported to. Our morning show did a live report from the moving Great Dome #10031 between MKE and CHI during Thanksgiving week.

Kathie Bricker's hat steals the package! Now that's what I call YELLOW! Go Kathie! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back