Dinner in your room, or "Room Service!"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who say they would rather "enjoy the sights" in a room than in the diner.......the diner has windows, too, and you can see out to both sides of the train!
True, but I feel like I'm neglecting my dining companions if I stare out the window. Also, if they're talking to us, I feel rude if I turn away from them to take a picture of something. I'm sure they'd understand, but it just doesn't seem polite.

Plus, if there's something pretty on the other side of the train, I look, but then I look away really fast when the people at the table across from me turn to look back at me. :) I don't think they'd appreciate me crawling over them to get a picture, either.

In all my years of travel, I have never had a meal brought to my room. This includes cruise ships, and hotel rooms. I just don't like the idea of eating a full meal in my room, and then having to dispose of the dishes, etc.

When traveling in a roomette, it is a nice break in the scene to get away to the dining car two or three times a day for the meal period. Getting a chance to speak with fellow traveler's is part of the attraction, as well. Also, I'm sure the meal is going to be hotter when served at the diner, than the time it takes to get to your room.

Since I am able-bodied, I like the walk to and from the diner....the longer the better, in getting a bit of exercise, and to catch a glimpse of 'life on the train'....

The only thing I would eat in my room would be maybe some coffee and cookie or other very light snack...

Interesting discussion. I was wondering about this for my forthcoming trip on th Cardinal/CZ. As I am travelling on my own, I think I will be climbing up the walls by dinner time and would love some company. Like many here it seems, I am shy, but hopefully I can meet some people who like to chat and I can open up. My nightmare would be to be stuck with a family of 3 and feel like I am intruding.

Normally She Who Must Be Obeyed and I enjoy the company of the diner, as we consider it part of the whole experience. As with any situation in life there have been good and bad experience. I have to do a lot of apologizing as eating with my trachea can often not be the most pleasant thing for some, not to mention having to often use my fingers to chew (trust me you don't want radical head and neck cancer surgery twice) but almost always this is never a problem. I always offer to move if it offends someone.

There are rare occasions, such as lis mentioned where the dining and arrival schedules clash. Last September on the EB for example we opted for room service when it came apparent our arrival in LSE would precede our lunch reservation. Our SCA graciously got the meal with the irony being they called our reservation as we were preparing to detrain - and the SCA got on the intercom to inform them we wouldn't be arriving.

For the cost of a sleeper I feel that room service is appropriate regardless of ones ability to travel to the diner.

For those who say they would rather "enjoy the sights" in a room than in the diner.......the diner has windows, too, and you can see out to both sides of the train!
True, but I feel like I'm neglecting my dining companions if I stare out the window. Also, if they're talking to us, I feel rude if I turn away from them to take a picture of something. I'm sure they'd understand, but it just doesn't seem polite.

Plus, if there's something pretty on the other side of the train, I look, but then I look away really fast when the people at the table across from me turn to look back at me. :) I don't think they'd appreciate me crawling over them to get a picture, either.
I just play the role of technogeek. I lean my cell phone or GPS up against the window and track our speed. Most of the time others are intrigued, geeked out or simply ignore it. I do look out the window and if I see something interesting, I engage the company in my experience.

I've had dinner in my room exactly once and that was due to a late train (last year, when the Star was running late into DLD my SCA held a dinner for me but the diner was closed...so I got to sample the chicken for the first time in my room).

One thing this thread reminded me of: In 2008/9, I remember Amtrak actually mentioning the room service option in some of the materials for the Capitol Limited, invoking some sort of old B&O tradition of offering room service on the route. I forget whether it was on the route guide or the pocket timetable for the route, but that sticks out quite strongly in my mind.

In over 60 years of passenger train travel in the US and Europe, I have always dined in the Dining Car, My parents and grandmother always took us to the Dining Car, so I have never considered anything else. My first dining car meal was on the Nebraska Zephyr in May, 1952. My mother had me sit on a book so I could reach the table OK. I remember how good the food was and how nice the waiter was.

Interesting conversation

When I travel alone I often have a meal brought to the room.. I"m an introvert and socializing, to me, is exhausting..What generally happens is when I board they shove me right to the dining car for lunch..probably so they can redo my room. I muddle through an uncomfortable lunch, and then have dinner in my room. Often I'm off the train super early so no breakfast, but if I'm on for breakfast I go to the diner and have an uncomfortable breakfast. When I travel with my husband we do all meals in the diner..we stay in roomettes and that is just too small of a space for 2 adults to eat.

Thanks for the tip on tipping at time of service. I'm afraid I haven't done that..just added tip to the end of the trip, but I'll start changing that.

Box lunch out of Portland? Is that on the Starlight?

Interesting conversation

When I travel alone I often have a meal brought to the room.. I"m an introvert and socializing, to me, is exhausting..What generally happens is when I board they shove me right to the dining car for lunch..probably so they can redo my room. I muddle through an uncomfortable lunch, and then have dinner in my room. Often I'm off the train super early so no breakfast, but if I'm on for breakfast I go to the diner and have an uncomfortable breakfast. When I travel with my husband we do all meals in the diner..we stay in roomettes and that is just too small of a space for 2 adults to eat.

Thanks for the tip on tipping at time of service. I'm afraid I haven't done that..just added tip to the end of the trip, but I'll start changing that.

Box lunch out of Portland? Is that on the Starlight?
Box meals out of of Portland eastbound, Spokane westbound are on the Empire Builder since the diner goes on the Seattle section.

The only time I ever ate in my room was once, on a southbound TE, when the SCA very apologetically said there had been a screw up with the reservations (I get on after dinner reservations have been made, so the SCA makes them for me, usually). He said I could go at 9 pm (way too late for me) or have dinner in my room.

I tipped him slightly more than what I would have tipped the dining car person, seeing as he had to carry the meal from the diner to the very end of the train (this was when sleepers were on the rear).

Generally, I like going to the diner, even though I am a somewhat shy person. More often than not, there's someone interesting to eat with.

Though you don't know that in advance. I remember one trip with a very obnoxious, rude, nasty tablemate (and feared running into that person again at breakfast). And I also feel sad when I wind up at a table with what someone else called "technoverts" who spend the whole time looking at their smartphones and won't talk. I understand shyness but I am sure in some cases the people on the smartphones figured the invisible people in the Internet were potentially more interesting than the real people sitting at the table with them....

Perhaps I'm being prejudicial here, but I'd far rather wind up sitting with people who look like they're retired than people my age or younger; I've had some really interesting conversations with older people traveling on the train and they seem less likely to want to spend the entire meal with their nose in their smartphone.

Yes, they have windows, but often you can't really ENJOY the scenery when people are constantly walking up and down the aisle, getting in your linve of sight, and you're "engaged" in conversation with others at your table.

I, for one, enjoy meeting and talking with new people, and have never had a meal delivered to our bedroom....

...I'd far rather wind up sitting with people who look like they're retired than people my age or younger; I've had some really interesting conversations with older people traveling on the train and they seem less likely to want to spend the entire meal with their nose in their smartphone.
I'm with you...but we've also me some interesting younger folks who still like to engage in conversation.

Yes, they have windows, but often you can't really ENJOY the scenery when people are constantly walking up and down the aisle, getting in your linve of sight, and you're "engaged" in conversation with others at your table.

I, for one, enjoy meeting and talking with new people, and have never had a meal delivered to our bedroom....
I have never been blocked from scenery in a diner by someone walking down the aisle, at least not yet. To me, there is something special about sharing the scenery, too. A seat mate might point out something I had missed, know some anecdote about an area, and bliss shared is bliss doubled in my book.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 3 cent comment...

I usually have my meals in my room for a bunch of reasons, but chiefly, because walking on an unsteady train with my cane isn't really always feasible when the dining car is 8 or 9 cars back from the sleepers, especially on a crowded LD train like the Lakeshore Limited. I once got banged around so bad I was bruised throughout my body and that was enough for me!

Usually the SCA offers to bring my meals to me because they see my cane (also known as my hobbly-wobbly) or if I am in the accessible bedroom they automatically ask. If they don't, I often ask if it feasible. No one has ever told me "no" but a few have mentioned that they didn't know when they could bring my meals, which is cool. Like the entire train experience, you have to go with the flow, be a good citizen and tip accordingly.

I also bring a pen and paper with me (I noticed that someone else mentioned this) and I write down what I want and how I want it. Again usually not an issue. Sometimes I am asked to sign the meal slip and sometimes I am not. I do get annoyed when they run out of things so when the Dining Room attendant comes by to ask what time I want to go to dinner, I ask quite nicely if they have so-and-so and if possible could they set one aside for me. Never had a problem, except once when the dining room and my SCA got the wires crossed. It turned out OK and I ate something really weird but I got two desserts and an entire carton of strawberries! haha!

During the times, I have gone to the dining car (usually on the Cardinal because it is closer to the sleepers), I generally take a book or my Kindle with me. I guess I am funny or it's "too East Coast rude", but I don't always feel the need to chat with whomever sits down. Now normally, I strike up conversations with interesting folks but some times I have had folks just ignore me totally...and I am OK with that, too. We aren't there to entertain each other.

-Jackie

"Upstairs service" (i.e., meals in room) has been available since long before Amtrak. In the old heritage cars, each room had an attachment bracket below the window, and each car had about 3-4 tables that could be connected to that bracket. The table protruded into the room, resting on one leg in the center of the room. Tables were frequently used for meals or late evening card games.

One of my most difficult trips was on the Auto Train when I was working the 10-6 sleeper that was farthest from the diner (about 9 or 10 cars distance, as I recall). I served a few meals in the evening, and everybody who had dinner in the diner came back from the long walk and told me they wanted breakfast in their room --- EVERYBODY! A 10-6 sleeper has 22 berths, so I had to serve 22 breakfasts before our scheduled 9:00 AM arrival. I got it done, but I did not get all the beds properly closed & stowed before arrival. Now that the Auto Train has Superliners, no sleeper is that far from the diner.

Some passengers obviously need their meals in their room. Some appear to need it, and surprised the SCA by saying they will go to the diner. Some folks do not NEED their meals in the room, but they prefer it. According top Amtrak policy, everybody is allowed this service if they want it. There are times when the SCA has to do some serious prioritizing, with preference going to those with special needs. It's certainly not unusual to serve meals in rooms to honeymooners or those celebrating anniversaries.

If you want or need this service, please meet the SCA halfway. Advance notice is very importance. Once a man approached me as the 9:00 dinner service was being announced. He had spent most of the afternoon and evening in the lounge, but wanted his 9:00 meal in his room. I could have done it if I had known beforehand, because I could have put the order in and had all the needed supplies ready. In that actual instance, I had made commitments to several other passengers to put down their beds and set up their rooms for nighttime at the exact time this man wanted his dinner. When I told him how long it would take for me to get him his food, he changed his mind.

As a passenger, I eat in the diner whenever I can. In working on the train over the years, I have witnessed only a very few instances of people not getting along in the diner. For myself, I have too many memories of grabbing my dinner from the kitchen, setting it down in room 1, and taking a bite now and then when I happen to pass room 1 during the evening, as my meal gets progressively colder. Fortunately, that's in the past now.

Tom

I still believe that room service should be limited only to handicapped persons.
In my view having the option to eat alone should be a selling point. Not just for physically disabled folks or socially awkward personalities. How about people who simply want to get away from it all. People who want to get lost in a book or the passing of scenery. People who are feeling under the weather and don't want to infect others. People who are burned out from too much small talk. People who want to enjoy their own adult beverages while dining. People who wish to avoid a sloppy or abrasive diner crew. People who want to focus on their phone or watch a movie or listen to music without disturbing others. Even people who enjoy trying something new just for the heck of it. I can think of a dozen reasons why someone might prefer to eat in their room without being disabled. At the end of your post you softened things a bit with a reference to live and let live but I still do not understand why you'd care where anyone else ate. If someone desires to eat in their room but finds themselves forced to eat in the diner by some arbitrary rule about being disabled, well that certainly doesn't sound like someone who would enjoy the experience or make good company for others.

Excellent Post Tom! From one who's been there and done that! Wish Amtrak would hire you as a Consultant to help spot the bad Apples and either retrain or detrain them! You also could let the suits know about the good to outstanding OBS ( most of them) that work the LD Trains!

You'd get to travel on Amtrak's dime, get well compensated and help all of Amtrak's customers who deserve, and pay for, first rate service such as you provided!

I am mostly a solo traveler, but have no qualms sitting in with a group of three, or whatever. One can just say Hi, and see how it goes.

A most interesting dinning companion on my last ride was an American lady who lip read... took her a while to get my Engish style, and for me to fully understand her "hard of hearing" pronunciation. I was able to advise her of the lounge facilities in Chicago to wait for her next train.

As to meals in my room, I often make my own early morning British tea and breakfast porridge in the roomette, with my travel kettle, but let's keep my self catering a secret amongst ourselves...

Ed :cool:

I've never booked a long distance train, but hope to do so one day. For me, I'd rather eat in the roomette because I prefer being alone-although eating with people wouldn't be a deal breaker-BUT... my size would make sitting in the booth uncomfortable or maybe even impossible for me, not to mention for any dining companions, since I take up more than the average amount of space. One the other hand, I can't get past feeling that I should (literally) suck it up and make life easier on the attendant.

I still believe that room service should be limited only to handicapped persons.
In my view having the option to eat alone should be a selling point. Not just for physically disabled folks or socially awkward personalities. How about people who simply want to get away from it all. People who want to get lost in a book or the passing of scenery. People who are feeling under the weather and don't want to infect others. People who are burned out from too much small talk. People who want to enjoy their own adult beverages while dining. People who wish to avoid a sloppy or abrasive diner crew. People who want to focus on their phone or watch a movie or listen to music without disturbing others. Even people who enjoy trying something new just for the heck of it. I can think of a dozen reasons why someone might prefer to eat in their room without being disabled. At the end of your post you softened things a bit with a reference to live and let live but I still do not understand why you'd care where anyone else ate. If someone desires to eat in their room but finds themselves forced to eat in the diner by some arbitrary rule about being disabled, well that certainly doesn't sound like someone who would enjoy the experience or make good company for others.

Another thought: people who are traveling while bereaved and are just not up to small talk at the moment.

And yes, I know, some say the best thing for a person like that is to get out and be with others....but I can think of times in my life where, if I had had to talk to strangers, it would have been very hard to do without tears and then having to explain why I was crying....

Another thought: people who are traveling while bereaved and are just not up to small talk at the moment.

And yes, I know, some say the best thing for a person like that is to get out and be with others....but I can think of times in my life where, if I had had to talk to strangers, it would have been very hard to do without tears and then having to explain why I was crying....
Especially because the first topic of conversation is normally where are you from and were are you going and why.

I almost always get room service (and I tip, don't get me wrong) because 1. usually I'm working and I want to keep working through my meal and 2. I take the train because I hate to fly, not because I want to yuk it up with my fellow passengers about how novel the experience is. I'm just trying to get from Point A to Point B, folks!

I have only had lunch in my room one time. It was our first trip and I was too excited to do much sleeping so by lunchtime heading east on the Empire Builder, I was exhausted and desperate for a lay down. The only reason our attendant got a tip at all was she saw how horrible I felt and got a menu and got my lunch for me while mister went in to the dining car. We were such newbies we had no idea how to bring the bed down and I was asking if I could go sit on a coach chair so I could lay down and rest.

Nowadays I know to try and stay in my sleep and rest routine but we also have no problem dropping the top bunk down so I can crawl - and it not sleep - lay down and rest.

We enjoy the dining car and I have no problem spacing out and staring at the window between some general conversation while in there since most of the time the people on the other side are enjoying the view as well.

It's been pretty well established that I'm an old traditionalist. I actually preferred to put down the berths for the passenger, rather than have them do it themselves. Once, when I was fairly new on the job, one of the veterans walked past and watched me as I finished setting up a room for night time. When I had finished, he said "You sure make a pretty bed, Tom." That was high praise. If I set up the bed for the passenger, I knew that it was right and the passenger would find it inviting. If I let the passenger set up his/her own bed, there's no telling what it would look like when the lower mattress was taken down and spread out. I was also concerned about the passenger getting fingers pinched in the process. Upper berths in Heritage bedrooms required a berth key, so the passenger couldn't open the berth. I did it.

Passengers have had meals in rooms for all the reasons listed above, and probably other reasons as well. It's not for the SCA to judge whether the passenger "deserves" it. However, the SCA sometimes must make a judgment call as to who NEEDS the service, as opposed to who WANTS it. Need has to supersede wants, and sometimes somebody has to wait. That's reality.

There are times when your choice to have your meal in your room is actually helpful to other passengers. On the A-T, passengers make their dinner reservations upon checking in at the station, before boarding. Station personnel offer passengers a choice of dinner seatings, and they try to give everybody their first choice. At some point, the second seating fills up because all the seats are spoken for. Then the first seating fills up. When people arrive at the station just before boarding time, they often find that reservations for first and second seating are all filled up, and their only option is the last seating. This is particularly troublesome for families with small children and for people with medical conditions like diabetes. Sometimes these folks have to eat in their room because it's the only way to get their meals at a more appropriate time. Now and then some people with early reservations will choose to eat in their room, thus opening an early seat in the diner for one or more of those unfortunate latecomers. Unless things have changed in the past several months, Auto Train LSAD's put in a good bit of effort working out some of these meal reservation swaps before every dinner service, every trip.

Tom

To each their own. Mrs SP&S and I are kind of shy but always go to the diner. Meeting people who you'd never meet elsewhere can be great fun. Occasionally the other folks at the table are closed mouthed or tethered to their electronics, that's OK - it's like just the wife and I are dining. Very occasionally you end up with with religious/political zealots but we've always been able to direct the conversation to another topic. Occasional you meet people who are so interesting you all go back to the lounge or parlour and keep the conversation going for hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back