Dining car meal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is the dining car full service meal so disgusting. Took the Cali zephyr a few weeks ago and was worse than TV dinners.

I don't know, but if it makes you feel any better you could complain about it on the internet.

It's not fine resturant food but I wouldn't call it disgusting. My meals have been a par with many of the resturant chains (ie Applebys). Certianly better than Dennys.

I have never had a poor or disgusting meal in the dining car on any Amtrak Train. I think the steak is the best in the west. Veggies are frozen and baked potatoes are hot. This is not 4 star meals, never meant to be. Its a meal on wheels. I get what I pay for. So, wheres the beef?

Location, location, location, location, location. My favorite restaurant in the world!

I don't know, but if it makes you feel any better you could complain about it on the internet.
Amtrak actually monitors this board, complain about the food here enough and they start bringing you the special "not disgusting" meals.*

*I just made that up completely. They don't do this.**

** Probably not.

I agree that the meals are generally quite good. Yes, I have had a few meals that did indeed miss the mark, but for the most part I agree that the food is well prepared and tasty. It would help if some specifics were provided......

To each their own. Some people find McDonald's and fast food disgusting. Others find the best restaurants in the world disgusting. My in-laws find pizza and Chinese food disgusting. You have to take it for what it is. I would say it is on par with the average diner/family restaurant.

I'm thinking this was a hit & run post, chum in the water.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Why is the dining car full service meal so disgusting. Took the Cali zephyr a few weeks ago and was worse than TV dinners.
Please note this blog is NOT run by the Amtrak Full Meal Service. You must contact them directly to get your answer. Another thing I would recommend is to contact the FDA (food and drug association):

http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/Inspections/IOM/default.htm

Their blog has in-depth rules, regulations, and procedures, and you can also contact your Senator, Congressman/woman, Mayor, Judge, or other local representative, or President.

Was it food poisoning? If they poisoned you then you should ask for a voucher. And if it caused death, you can sue.

In order to improve amtrak we must work together. Your voice deserves to be herd.

In my recent letter to Mr. Boardman I made some comments about the food. There are varying opinions, but in my view some if the food is pretty good, such as the steak and some if the breakfast items, plus I thought the Angus burger at lunch was tasty. But the salad and vegetables need help - my term is cuisine out of an elementary school cafeteria.

I would agree they could work harder on the veggies, I don't think the "mix" has changed much in quite a while. My latest breakfast experiences have been mixed. The omelets are usually good, but the last couple morning "specials" (spinach frittata as one example) were not good-a fact noted by the servers as well. One would think the Amtrak chefs would test these out better before releasing them to the trains? I too like the Angus burger and especially the Bratwurst on the pretzel roll when they have it--I wish this was an option on all of my rides!!!

:)

I would agree they could work harder on the veggies, I don't think the "mix" has changed much in quite a while.

:)
I always dump a little Salad Dressing on the Mix and that kicks a good deal of life into it. although I have never found it to be really bad from the get-go. I cannot recall having anything so bad on the train I actually left it on the plate.

So in an attempt to give this thread some purpose, I have a question maybe some of you can answer:

How is Amtrak food in relation to Via Rail's? If you feel there is a large difference in food quality from one to the other, why do you think it's the case and could the gap reasonably be closed?

9) TV dinners

8) Worst fast food (McDonald's)

7) Worst chains (Denny's)

6) Average fast food (Wendy's, Taco Bell, etc.)

5) Worst Amtrak meals (veggies, "leftovers", etc.)

4) Average chain restaurants (Applebees, TGI Fridays, etc.)

3) Best Amtrak meals (steak, chef-inspired dishes)

2) Best chain restaurants (Outback, Chipotle, Five Guys, etc.)

1) Best independent restaurants (insert your favorites here)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Canadian has far superior food, although that us an expensive train to ride. On the subject if chain restaurants, if Amtrak's menu resembled Cracker Barrel I would not be the least but offended.

Could you tell us what you ordered?

Did you have seatmates and what did they order?

What didn't you like about the meal?

Did your seatmates dislike their meal?

Anyone else complain about the same meal you had?

Why bother to answer the OP? He or she is hiding behind a pseudonym. Has the courage of anonymity.

Please note this blog is NOT run by the Amtrak Full Meal Service. You must contact them directly to get your answer. Another thing I would recommend is to contact the FDA (food and drug association):

Their blog has in-depth rules, regulations, and procedures, and you can also contact your Senator, Congressman/woman, Mayor, Judge, or other local representative, or President.

Was it food poisoning? If they poisoned you then you should ask for a voucher. And if it caused death, you can sue.

In order to improve amtrak we must work together. Your voice deserves to be herd.
tumblr_m3on6qPmzB1rn6ys0.gif

The OP said nothing even remotely close to anything warranting any of that. Holy hyperbole, Batman. You don't contact your senators and the FDA over limp pasta.

Ummmm, if indeed food poisoning from AmChow was fatal to the OP, wouldn't it be a bit tough for them to sue?????? :ph34r: :help: :wacko: :blink: :giggle:

I personally don't find the food on Amtrak to be that bad. Granted I'm not a particulary hard-to-please diner; I don't frequent high-end restaurants. I'm a Denny's/Applebee's type of person. There has been a couple of times when I've found an AmMeal to be particularly dreadful. My response was, instead of instigating a Congressional investigation, was simply not to order that particular meal for the remainder of the trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back