Dining car meal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh you can certainly tell midrange Sysco to fresh local. But top range? I doubt many people can tell whether my van or a Sysco truck brought the fresh lettuce I cut into tonight's salad.
It's pretty easy to tell even top range Sysco apart from fresh local vegetables.

It's worth remembering that fresh local is *seasonal* -- and fresh means *fresh*. You can't tell top range Sysco apart from several-day-old local ('cause, in some sense, it is several-day-old local from somehwere).

Good restaurants in farm country make a point of using fresh local vegetables because it's both tastier *and* cheaper. Amtrak's never going to be in that position, partly because nearly all of its commissaries have to be in big cities (== not farm country).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd shudder to think how the ingredient list on that lamb shank reads… like a organic chemistry set I imagine.

Your best options for getting fresh food cooked from raw on board by an Amtrak employee are eggs at breakfast, the salad at lunch and the steak and potato at dinner. I would welcome any other dining information from knowledgeable sources, I'd like to know what else isn't fully cooked when brought on board.
Baked potatoes?

Your best options for getting fresh food cooked from raw on board by an Amtrak employee are eggs at breakfast, the salad at lunch and the steak and potato at dinner. I would welcome any other dining information from knowledgeable sources, I'd like to know what else isn't fully cooked when brought on board.
Baked potatoes?
He mentioned that. :) I missed it at first, too. I was about to respond about the potatoes, and then I read his paragraph again.

I'd shudder to think how the ingredient list on that lamb shank reads… like a organic chemistry set I imagine.
You can check out the link in the first post of this thread for a good idea....
Thanks but the recipe listed does not reflect the full list ingredients in Amtrak's lamb shank. The recipe calls for raw lamb shanks, the ones Amtrak uses are cooked and then frozen likely with the use of chemical preservatives. I would imagine there may be other artificial flavor enhancers as well.

That being said the recipe does sound delicious if I made it at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back