Delays

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody can "debunk" the OP's claim, since we don't know which ten trips he rode.
From Google:

de·bunk/diˈbəNGk/Verb1. Expose the falseness or hollowness of (a myth, idea, or belief).

Based on this definition, I have to respectfully disagree with you. If Train 352 had an OTP of even 50% the OP's claim of never leaving CHI on-time would ring pretty hollow!
He said he was 0 for 10. Unless you know exactly which ten trains he rode, you are in no position to claim whether his statement was false.

I probably rode 7 or 8 trips on the Michigan service before I ever arrived into Chicago on time (and I was counting a 10-15 minute tolerance for my own personal "on time" definition), and this was back when the railroad was in better shape. Granted, that was arrival OTP and not departure OTP.

However, I have seen a number of times where the Wolverine was late out of Chicago, including several on train 350, the first trip out in the morning (no connections). In fact, it's rare that they'll hold 354 more than a few minutes for connections (to address the traveler's comment). Passengers connecting to that train will generally wind up being put on buses to their destination.

But my point stands. Unless you can tell me which ten trips this person rode, and show the OTP stats for those specific trips, you can't say that his statement is false.

We can't say that it's true either.

If we knew what the departure OTP we could calculate the chances of going 10 for 10. Assuming a truly abysmal 50% departure OTP, the chances of going 10 for 10 are 0.00978% - harkening back to your first post in the thread, that's a little more than "really bad luck".

While we can't prove the OP is incorrect, we can say that it's highly, highly improbable.

Another point that I meant to make in my earlier post is that it really doesn't matter if the OP is 10 for 10, 5 for 5, 5 for 10, whatever. Folks on here get too caught up in the minutiae of specific notes in the post (ignoring the potential for hyperbole), and totally miss the point the poster is trying to make, which is that the Wolverine is extremely unreliable (it is), and some employees provide bad service (they do).

Instead, the default reaction to any new poster critical of service received is "That's impossible. I rode a train last week and things were fine. Therefore the problem must be with you and not with the train."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back