Dark days ahead for the Cardinal?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you keep shutting down the worst performing store, ultimately there will be no store left.

Also Walmart stores are a very different thing from individual trains which together form a network supporting service on a group of trains. Blindly applying the rules of operations of one to the other shows a profound misunderstanding of what it takes to actually operate a specific business. Admittedly a lot of managers who have zero understanding of the business they manage do suffer from this problem and make horrible mistakes all the time, until someone notices and fires them.

To add to confusion the worse performer one year might not be the one next year.
In the study on restoring the Pioneer, using 2009 figures, the Lake Shore Ltd and the Silver Star were the two worst performing daily trains by Farebox Recovery. Today both rank in the top half.

Last edited by a moderator:
To add two your two LD stops in Pa none of us can help how railroads are routed. Or how population chooses to settle. Those lines were laid back in the 1800s and we have no control on that.

What did Congress do and WHY? If the other senators said "sure Robert" then we need a better system where trains are determined by ridership and revenue and not who's in charge of the Senate. I'll start campaigning Congress when civilians get to vote for who the Senate Majority leader is.
Well, if you've seen my writings regarding best practice in designing democratic (aka republican) systems of government, you'll know that the US Senate is an unmitigated disaster and should really be abolished entirely. When US experts are asked by foreign dignitaries what their advice is regarding constitutional reform, they say many things, but they all say "Do NOT have ANYTHING resembling the US Senate". I can list a catalog of the problems with it:

-- most importantly, it's malapportioned, and so essentially undemocratic

-- it's effectively gerrymandered by the state borders

-- it creates a dangerous veto point which can shut down the government, and encourage "lawless" action by the executive

-- it has ridiculous power over government office appointments, which has the same problem of destroying functioning government

-- it has similarly ridiculous power over treaties...

-- supermajority rules for impeachment mean a tiny minority can prevent impeachment of criminals in high governmental office, leading to ever-increasing governmental corruption

-- it's damn near impossible to amend the Constitution to fix it, because amendments need a supermajority in the Senate, so it'll probably require revolution to get rid of it

-- there is a second method to amend the Constitution, but the "convention to propose amendments" has been requested by most of the states and Congress refuses to call it, so...

-- and that's *before* we start looking at the Senate's internal rules, which are garbage

-- the filibuster has no constitutional basis and is used as a scheme for Senators to lie about their voting records, basically

I expect the US Senate to be one of the key factors which will cause the collapse of the US constitutional system. It was so once before in the leadup to the Civil War, after which the constitutional system was patched back together by strongarm force.

My proposed Constitutional amendment would read as follows:

Article. As of the date of ratification of this article, all the powers and duties of the US Senate are transferred to the House of Representatives. The US Senate shall retain no powers other than the power of debate and parlimentary privilege.

This is rather carefully constructed to evade the Constitutional prohibition on changing the composition of the Senate to make it democratic.

Last edited by a moderator:
We still haven't heard official word about the downgrade of the line. For Cardinal fans, I guess no news is good news.
You talking to me? ;)

Yes, thank you, here no news is good news.

I did like the proposal on the All Aboard Ohio site that you linked to the other day, for a new train to run Detroit-Toledo-Columbus-Dayton-Cincinnati-[Cardinal route Cincy-Ashland-Charleston-Charlottesville]-Richmond-Norfolk. A second frequency on that center portion of the Cardinal route could provide a bit more revenue to keep it open and up to speed, while sharing Amtrak's costs. Well, we gotta keep dreaming about a growing Amtrak, or it will wither and die.

Perhaps reroute the cardinal chi-ind-cin- cle- NYC. I slow train end to end but reconnects city pairs long forgotten. Direct access from upstate ny and north coast ( buffola/ Clevelan with cin and Indianapolis.

Just a thought a an issue with the old brodway is it missed major population centers west if Pittsburgh.

Another reroute that would be good is to go via the old N&W main. So NYP-WAS-LYH-RKE-BLU(Bluefield)-WIL(Williamston)-HUN-CIN-IND-CHI. And jump back on the C&O at Huntington WV. It's a great line mostly double tracked, Superliner Clearance south of WAS. And some decent sized towns. But I would prefer the train stay on the old C&O instead

We still haven't heard official word about the downgrade of the line. For Cardinal fans, I guess no news is good news.
You talking to me? ;)

Yes, thank you, here no news is good news.

I did like the proposal on the All Aboard Ohio site that you linked to the other day, for a new train to run Detroit-Toledo-Columbus-Dayton-Cincinnati-[Cardinal route Cincy-Ashland-Charleston-Charlottesville]-Richmond-Norfolk. A second frequency on that center portion of the Cardinal route could provide a bit more revenue to keep it open and up to speed, while sharing Amtrak's costs. Well, we gotta keep dreaming about a growing Amtrak, or it will wither and die.
Just wanted to mention another potential problem for the Cardinal, as well as the proposed 3C route, Chicago-to-Columbus service, and Detroit-to-Cincy service. The story comes from the All Aboard Ohio website. I searched the thread and didn't see it mentioned here. If I am mistaken, I welcome the abuse. :p

I am invoking Fair Use regarding the posting of the following paragraphs-

One-fourth of 3C may be downgradedkjprendergast on April 13, 2016

All Aboard Ohio has learned from multiple sources that CSX may downgrade its 60-mile Galion-Columbus section (called the Columbus Line Subdivision) of the Cleveland-Columbus-Dayton-Cincinnati (3C) Corridor as early as this year. This represents nearly one-fourth of the total route-miles of the overall, 255-mile 3C Corridor.

Downgrading could include turning off and possibly removing the automatic block signal system and not maintaining the track to Class 4 standards (60 mph for freight, 80 mph for passenger). In time, these actions may result in the track on the Columbus Line Subdivision being re-classified as Class 2 track (25 mph for freight, 30 mph for passenger). CSX has yet to announce anything officially.

-snip-

There are several implications from downgrading this section. Not only would this complicate any future efforts to restore passenger rail service on the 3C Corridor, it might also hurt ongoing efforts to get Columbus-Chicago passenger rail service via the Columbus-Marysville-Ridgeway (Scottslawn) portion of the route. It would also put more freight trains into the path of Amtrak’s Cardinal from Hamilton, Ohio to Cincinnati. It could complicate efforts to expand the thrice-weekly Cardinal to daily service. Less freight traffic on the 3C line means more freight traffic on the Scottslawn and Toledo subdivisions.
(emphasis added)

To read the entire article, the link is as follows:

http://allaboardohio.org/2016/04/13/one-fourth-of-3c-may-be-downgraded/

And from the document linked above, here's the problem:

http://In the state’s $400 million, 79 mph 3C Quick Start plan that was derailed in 2010 by Gov.-Elect John Kasich, three stations were proposed to be located on the Columbus Line Sub:

There needs to be a change of opinion regarding passenger rail in the minds of Ohio's lawmakers. Until then, the state is going nowhere fast on establishing decent rail corridors in the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back