CZ #6 (10)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said it before and I'll say it again - the knowledge of the people on this Forum is incredible! Hopefully, our group will get into Chicago at a decent time and we will still be able to see Blue Man Group. Good news is we don't have to get up at 3:00 a.m. to make the train, so we can sleep in a little bit! :rolleyes: Thanks for all of the input - you guys are the best!

Brenda

Brenda, agreed; you can sleep in! Enjoy it! :)

Right now they're estimating the train out of Denver at around 4.5 hours late, so who knows... you may get to Chicago around 4 hours late, which gives you plenty of time to get over to the theater. The purpose of the trip is to have fun as a group, right? Well, where better to do that than on the train! I'd rather sit in a Sightseer Lounge talking to friends speeding through Iowa than wandering underneath the L in Chicago. Then again, that's just me. <grin>

Rafi

Good news is we don't have to get up at 3:00 a.m. to make the train, so we can sleep in a little bit!
Not so fast! Just because you don't think the Train will be late enough to cause major problems... still, HOW WOULD YOU FEEL if they make up time unexpectedly and you MISS THE TRAIN because you are sleeping in?

This only works if you have recent, reliable information on the Train's actual location, and you have Reliable Technical information as to the maximum conceivable speed from there to your Station. Then I'd STILL allow an hour's leeway for good measure.

Since the Station in LNK is open from 11:00 PM until Train Time... why not sleep THERE, where they can let you know when the Train really does arrive?

-- P&SR ("never missed a Train yet")

Good news is we don't have to get up at 3:00 a.m. to make the train, so we can sleep in a little bit!

Well I sure have! Missed a train that is. I missed the D&RGW out of Denver when they were still running thru the canyon, and Amtrak was up north. I literally watched it snake out of the station.......... Man was I pissed off.

Then a few years later, in New Orleans I missed the SOUTHERN Cresent, pre-Amtrak......... Blame that one on the hurricanes on Bourbon Street.............

Last edited by a moderator:
Not so fast! Just because you don't think the Train will be late enough to cause major problems... still, HOW WOULD YOU FEEL if they make up time unexpectedly and you MISS THE TRAIN because you are sleeping in?

This only works if you have recent, reliable information on the Train's actual location, and you have Reliable Technical information as to the maximum conceivable speed from there to your Station. Then I'd STILL allow an hour's leeway for good measure.

Since the Station in LNK is open from 11:00 PM until Train Time... why not sleep THERE, where they can let you know when the Train really does arrive?

Well... not really.

The maximum speed for the CZ is 79mph, and it averages much lower. So if LNK is 483 miles away from DEN then the SOONEST possible time that the CZ can arrive in LNK is a hair over 6 hours later. So if the CZ leaves Denver at around 11PM MST then the soonest it will arrive in LNK is 5AM, and that assumes it skips all stops and averages 79mph on those 483 miles to LNK which will NOT happen.

Currently showing an 8:51am arrival into Lincoln, NE and a 7:13pm arrival into Chicago.

Although it shows it hasn't made it to Grand Junction, CO yet....

Well... not really.
The maximum speed for the CZ is 79mph, and it averages much lower. So if LNK is 483 miles away from DEN then the SOONEST possible time that the CZ can arrive in LNK is a hair over 6 hours later. So if the CZ leaves Denver at around 11PM MST then the soonest it will arrive in LNK is 5AM, and that assumes it skips all stops and averages 79mph on those 483 miles to LNK which will NOT happen.
Obviously. The problem is, they are NOT yet at Denver, so you CANNOT make accurate projections yet from Denver.

The Train left Green River, Utah at 2:10 PM MDT. That is 862 miles from LNK. Assuming no stops and cruising at a blazing 79 mph right up the Canyons and over the Rockies, that would take 10 hrs and 55 min, giving an earliest conceivable arrival at LNK as 1:05 MDT, which is 2:05 AM CDT.

If you know the actual maximum speed over the Mountains, you could improve on this estimate. Otherwise, you have to WAIT till departure from Denver has been confirmed, then figure you have another 6 hours to go. (Less the one hour leeway that is ALWAYS advisable when meeting a Long-Distance Train.)

If you think they're going to make up much time en route to DEN then... well, you know something I don't.

What you do is wait until the train leaves DEN or I'd say Glenwood Springs might work as well. Assume they spend a half hour in DEN (at the very least to unhook the UP loco and/or add their protect unit....

Well today has been a D-A-Y! We looked into chartering a bus to KCY to catch the SWC but there are NO buses available ANYWHERE due to some game called COLLEGE FOOTBALL! :lol: Amtrak management has been really nice to our singles ministry leader and we are now learning what "faith" is all about. I just hope we make it for Blue Man Group. But if we don't, well we will all can walk four blocks down the street and see Lil' Ed and The Blues Imperials at Buddy Guys! :rolleyes: One of the curveballs for tomorrow is now combating Husker football traffic. Never deal with that at 4:41am!! :lol: Thanks again everyone!

Al

If you think they're going to make up much time en route to DEN then... well, you know something I don't.
What you do is wait until the train leaves DEN or I'd say Glenwood Springs might work as well. Assume they spend a half hour in DEN (at the very least to unhook the UP loco and/or add their protect unit....
Below was the DEN status of his train:

DEN 2 738P 2 810P 1225A 101A Departed: 4 hours and 51 minutes late.

I hope that RailFanLNK and his group make their show.

Amtrak.com said No. 6 arrived in Lincoln at 9:45 a.m. -- 5 hours and 8 minutes late. It actually lost time after Denver.

As of this posting, it's set for an 8:07 p.m. arrival at Chicago (4.28 hours late).

Aloha

If it arrives by the estimate I saw 3 hours ago Al and his Blue Man Group will catch the show with ease as it is only 4.2 miles to the theater from CUS. No body will dose off no matter how tired the they may be, :rolleyes: the show is loud and exciting. The theater is only 650 seats, with a stage as wide as the Auditorium. The backup band shake a lot of sticks at a lot of drums, and boy are there a lot of lights also. The people who decided tto go will never forget the show.

Aloha
If it arrives by the estimate I saw 3 hours ago Al and his Blue Man Group will catch the show with ease as it is only 4.2 miles to the theater from CUS. No body will dose off no matter how tired the they may be, :rolleyes: the show is loud and exciting. The theater is only 650 seats, with a stage as wide as the Auditorium. The backup band shake a lot of sticks at a lot of drums, and boy are there a lot of lights also. The people who decided tto go will never forget the show.
Remember that ingress and egress to/from CUS is impaired by the construction on Jackson Street. When I have been in a hurry while the construction is going on, the first thing I do in de-training is grab a Redcap and have him take me to baggage claim and then the street. I learned that the hard way doing it on foot. Well worth a Redcap tip.

Here is the latest:

Departs: Ottumwa, IA   ( OTM)    

Scheduled: 10:09 am 12-SEP-09    

Actual/Estimate: (3:20 pm) 12-SEP-09 estimated    

Estimated Departure Time: 5 hours and 11 minutes late.    

I was all wet on my post. But in the end Foot Ball did come in to play somewhat after all (no bus service). If one says Lincoln NE I think “Big Red”. In the end I was half way on subject even though I was wrong. I remember pumping gas when I was in High School at a station on K63 and seeing the convoy of “Big Red” fans making their way to the KU or KSU game.

According to Amtrak.com, No. 6 arrived at Chicago at 8:50 p.m., exactly five hours late. If they were aboard and hustled to the theater, they probably made their show.

*crosses fingers*

According to Amtrak.com, No. 6 arrived at Chicago at 8:50 p.m., exactly five hours late. If they were aboard and hustled to the theater, they probably made their show.
*crosses fingers*
It is always risky to make important plans the evening of a cross country long distance arrival. Too bad it is that way. More likely than not, you'll be there on time, but there is always the anomoly, and this was one of those times, for a group traveling together.

Isn't this the second time this summer that the CZ was trashed by a P42 failure? (I'm not counting the accident they had in Illinois with the signal bridge)

It is always risky to make important plans the evening of a cross country long distance arrival. Too bad it is that way. More likely than not, you'll be there on time, but there is always the anomoly, and this was one of those times, for a group traveling together.
This is true for any sort of transportation. I was on a flight from Atlanta to Moscow and three hours out we turned around due to a mechanical problem. I didn't have plans for that evening, but there were some angry people with Bolshoi tickets.

I've also heard horror stories about people flying to meet a cruise line and having their flights delayed/cancelled so they miss the boat.

This is true for any sort of transportation. I was on a flight from Atlanta to Moscow and three hours out we turned around due to a mechanical problem. I didn't have plans for that evening, but there were some angry people with Bolshoi tickets.

I've also heard horror stories about people flying to meet a cruise line and having their flights delayed/cancelled so they miss the boat.
That's when "missing the ship" is really missing the boat. Bad outcome.

WE MADE IT!! WE MADE IT!!!!!!!!!! Ok, we arrived at 8:50pm. Of the 38 in our group, 17 were going to Blueman Group. In Naperville we started sorting all the luggage (we carried everything on) and sorted it by who was going to BMG and who wasn't. We then were on Canal St with luggage at 9:05pm with the non-BMG trip participants behind us. We were in cabs to Hostelling International and had EVERYONE checked into the hostel by 9:35pm. The "17" hopped cabs and we arrived at the Briar Street Theater at 9:54pm. 6 friggin' minutes to spare!!!!!!!!!!!! We had a blast and the crew on the #6 was fantastic. Quick note: The engineer of the CZ changes in LNK. The engineer waiting to go on duty goes to our church! He took time to come out to the station (where he was waiting for the delayed #6) and introduce himself and then proceeded to talk about rail travel, his responsibilities and what not. He was FANTASTIC!!!!!!! We had two engineers I believe in the head end after Ottumwa where his part ended so they didn't have to stop to copy track warrants. (whatever that means) Ruthie our coach attendent was great along with Ken our Lounge Car attendent. All in all, other than the delay, it was great. PLUS we all got to sleep in and it all worked out well. Guys and gals, thank YOU for all the support and feedback! Talk soon!

Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back