CZ #6 (10)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How fantastic that you made it to the theater just in time. Thanks so much for posting to tell the story. And - how cool that your engineer that knows you all, came early and talked to you while you were waiting for the late train, that is AWESOME. I would love that. Engineers are such a mysterious celebrity :) I am sure that made things so interesting for your group! How neat!

Thanks again and so glad that worked out!

The show was great! LOVED and so did the other members of our group. It was a real special way to start what has become a real special trip. Everything on this trip other than the delay has went perfectly. This trip is a TON of work but a TON of fun!

We arrived back last night in LNK around 1:15am, about 1 hour late. We had a real good crew on this train and 37 folks from England with America By Rail. So it was nice to talk to the Brits. Our group had a blast. Here's a surprise. One of our trip participants had thier 27 year old daughter with her. Last night at midnight someone came on the PA in our coach car (which was pretty much just our group) and announced that it was her birthday. We sung Happy Birthday, had a BD card and someone bought a cupcake or something from the Lounge Car and stuck what looked like a candle (but it wasn't) in and we all signed the card. All in all, other than the delays, we had so much fun on Amtrak. Yesterday at CUS, they assigned seats and since I was pretty much leading the group, B and I got stuck with the first seat in coach in the first coach car. All day and night we heard the damn door open and shut and open and shut. Now...if your in the last coach car, its only those folks walking forward to the other cars, but in the first coach car, its 20 people every 10 minutes for the duration of the trip. Bouncier than hell too! We could have moved after Galesburg, but all our group knew where we were sitting so we just stayed!

We arrived back last night in LNK around 1:15am, about 1 hour late. We had a real good crew on this train and 37 folks from England with America By Rail. So it was nice to talk to the Brits. Our group had a blast. Here's a surprise. One of our trip participants had thier 27 year old daughter with her. Last night at midnight someone came on the PA in our coach car (which was pretty much just our group) and announced that it was her birthday. We sung Happy Birthday, had a BD card and someone bought a cupcake or something from the Lounge Car and stuck what looked like a candle (but it wasn't) in and we all signed the card. All in all, other than the delays, we had so much fun on Amtrak. Yesterday at CUS, they assigned seats and since I was pretty much leading the group, B and I got stuck with the first seat in coach in the first coach car. All day and night we heard the damn door open and shut and open and shut. Now...if your in the last coach car, its only those folks walking forward to the other cars, but in the first coach car, its 20 people every 10 minutes for the duration of the trip. Bouncier than hell too! We could have moved after Galesburg, but all our group knew where we were sitting so we just stayed!
Ah, the dreaded #1 and #2 seats, first on when seats are assigned, worst seats unless you ask the SA! Longest night I ever spent on a train was in these seats on the CS from MTZ-PDX, as Bill Clinton used to say: "I feel your pain.." Glad the trip was an adventure and fun except for the worry about time and the crummy seats!! :)

da, da, da, da, da................ca-clunk! :angry: All night long, all time after time after time after time. Also, my girlfriend and Singles Ministry Leader commented on how bumpy it was. It was purely us sitting above the wheels. In our trip brochure explaining the "do's and don't's" of Amtrak, we tell our group to avoid the very front and very back because of the vestibule doors and noise. Then....we get assigned to them. I know as trip leaders we could have swapped and after Galesburg we could have moved, but we chose to stay there since everyone knew where we were going and it also gave me an opportunity to ask folks, "are you going to dinner, I really like the herb roasted half chicken" etc and so forth.

da, da, da, da, da................ca-clunk! :angry: All night long, all time after time after time after time. Also, my girlfriend and Singles Ministry Leader commented on how bumpy it was. It was purely us sitting above the wheels. In our trip brochure explaining the "do's and don't's" of Amtrak, we tell our group to avoid the very front and very back because of the vestibule doors and noise. Then....we get assigned to them. I know as trip leaders we could have swapped and after Galesburg we could have moved, but we chose to stay there since everyone knew where we were going and it also gave me an opportunity to ask folks, "are you going to dinner, I really like the herb roasted half chicken" etc and so forth.
I know what you are talking about, I had the number one seat assigned to me on the SWC from Kansas City to Chicago several years ago. Lucky it was all daylight hours, and I spent most of the day in the Sightseeer lounge. The very front or the very back of the cars are truely a bumpy ride. Glad your trip turned out good, even though you had a late start.

GregL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back