CZ #6 (10)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RailFanLNK

Conductor
Hello All, can someone tell me why the 6(10) left EMY one hour late? Its the train that 38 of us are boarding in LNK on the 12th. Why would a train leave one hour late at where its starting at? Thanks!

Al

Hello All, can someone tell me why the 6(10) left EMY one hour late? Its the train that 38 of us are boarding in LNK on the 12th. Why would a train leave one hour late at where its starting at? Thanks!
Al
It may have been mechanical or crew related, but there are plenty of opportunities for them to make up time before they get to LNK. Continue to monitor it on the amtrak.com website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this your group trip to Chicago Al? Usually its because something broke at the last minute and they either had to fix it or take out a car or loco and put in another. Something that seems to happen more often then in should.

Chris

Al
I was thinking that the Zephyr (6) was late departing EMY 'cuz it was waiting for the Coast Starlight (11) to get there. I was thinking that train 6 finally gave up on the wait, 'cuz train 11 didn't get there 'till 11:18 AM, even though it was scheduled to arrive at 8:10 AM. I have no clue right now what was holding up train 11

Al
I was thinking that the Zephyr (6) was late departing EMY 'cuz it was waiting for the Coast Starlight (11) to get there. I was thinking that train 6 finally gave up on the wait, 'cuz train 11 didn't get there 'till 11:18 AM, even though it was scheduled to arrive at 8:10 AM. I have no clue right now what was holding up train 11
Is UP still doing trackwork North of SAC?

6(10) was released late from the yard due to mechanical issues with the diner. That's about all of the detail I'm able to get, unfortunately.

#11(09)'s been having a heck of a trip thanks to ongoing locomotive problems since Dunsmuir and a passenger medical emergency.

Rafi

I'm trying to stay positive but now its down 2 hours and not even to RNO yet. I'm hoping it can shave some time off late tonight near SLC. Its definately going to be late. I'm kinda bummed, its been so on time the last couple of months and wouldn't you know it, the day I have 38 people from my church boarding its way behind. Yes, this is the trip my singles group is taking. Last year we arrived CUS 5 hours late. I was hoping to get to Chicago before 5pm.

Al

There is padding in the schedule, and it could knock of most of it by Denver. Check status for Salt Lake City, Grand Junction, and Denver. What ever it is doing out of Denver is what you will probably experience in Lincoln. Barring of course, additional problems after Denver. Good Luck. I will watch it too.

I dont think 6 would be held for the 11 at EMY. I think the legal connection is actually planned for Sacramento.
"legal"

Yes the connection is SAC, but you can also do EMY reasonably. They do hold 6 for a little bit of time if it is late...

Is it safe to say if I looked at the Big 12 schedule Big Red is playing at Colorado? The CZ is about always about 1 ½ Hr or so late in to Omaha. The History on the Status Map should help you out if you have not used it.

Rock Chalk Jay Hawk !!!! GO KU… http://www.trainweb.org/capt/AmtrakForward.html

Never mind. I had #5 west bound on my mind.

There is something seriously amiss with the eastbound Zephyr today (9/10). It arrived Colfax CA 2hr 14 minutes late, and sat there for nearly three hours. It just left a few minutes ago (5:25pm PDT), now over five hours late. I suspect power issues, but that is just a guess.

Too bad this is not a detour trip. They can make up several hours on the faster Wyoming route.

Our trip is going into the pooper each time I call. Its now over 4 hours late and hasn't reached Reno yet. What are the options? Will they do a bustitution if it gets too late? I figured getting tickets to Blueman Group at a 10pm seating with a 3:50pm arrival would be sufficient padding. Yesterday it arrived at 3:20pm. Looks like my group is going to eat 17 $64 Blueman Group tickets. What is frustrating is its been ON TIME for the last 6 months almost daily. :angry:

The time you need it to be on time the most, is the time it won't. The two Amtrak trips I took my girl friend on had serious delays. The Capitol was 6 hours late into D.C. The return to Chicago was OK. Then we took the Zephyr to Glenwood Springs. It was 3 hours late going, and 6 hours late returning. That was a long Sunday in Glenwood Springs.

Im sorry you will be sweating this one out.

Folks always say, "why aren't we flying to Chicago". But thats a major hassle trying to get 38 people to Omaha to fly on SWA which is the closest in cost to Amtrak. Last year, O'Hare and Midway were shut down because the day we arrived 5 hours late, CHI received 8 inches of rain. So we would have been sitting in Detroit, Cincinnati, Twin Cities etc. Also the group contract with Amtrak is so much easier when someone cancels and with a group this size, we have had people sign up but then have to back out due to kids at home, work etc. With the airlines, they just take the money and there's no refund.

Al,

I'm afraid the news won't get much better overnight, although it hopefully won't lose too much more time. The engines failed at Colfax and they had to wait on UP to add a freight engine to the head end to pull the train to SLC and possibly to Denver. I suspect Amtrak will try to add their protect loco at Denver, so that's going to add some switching time there as well. Again, just my guess, and we'll find out soon enough.

Rafi

I am starting to wonder about the reliability of the P42s... We've seen multiple failings on trains this summer, so I wouldn't be totally surprised if the protect unit failed too en route to CHI.

Sorry you may miss your show. If I was in your position, I would consider cancelling the train and chartering a bus that could easily make your show. And then either bus back or use the train and see what compensation Amtrak could provide.

Looks like its really running late,think Id cancel the train and look into other transportation if available (the dog/a charter?)The OP is correct, Amtrak Customer Service may grant yall some relief for this one, thats lots of $$ to miss your show! (Is it Vegas, thought that group played the strip?LOL)

Our trip is going into the pooper each time I call. Its now over 4 hours late and hasn't reached Reno yet. What are the options? Will they do a bustitution if it gets too late? I figured getting tickets to Blueman Group at a 10pm seating with a 3:50pm arrival would be sufficient padding. Yesterday it arrived at 3:20pm. Looks like my group is going to eat 17 $64 Blueman Group tickets. What is frustrating is its been ON TIME for the last 6 months almost daily. :angry:
Aloha

I did some checking with the theater. You may be OK, the Theater is not xtreemly far from the train Station. If the train is to far late you may be able call the theater box office and get some help. as of a few minutes ago there were only 26 seats in all price ranges (4-11-11). So calling te Box office in the morning may get them resold.

I hope the schedule improves they do a tremendous show.

Eric

Ok, its 4:39am CDT and I have hardly slept at all. I have one idea and please hear me out on this. Our church has bus(es). Plural, would Amtrak Group Sales let us take a church bus to KCY, board the SWC (if there's room) it departs KC at 7:45am, KCY is a 3 hour bus trip from LNK so the time getting everyone to the LNK station to board a church bus wouldn't be much different than if we were taking the CZ and we arrive at 3:20pm CDT at CUS? Would they let us do that if the train falls much more behind in the next day?

Blueman Group when we ordered the tickets says that there is no refunds or exchanges. I just don't know how much Briar Street Theater holds to this. Thanks.

Al

Al, that's a good idea, however....

Amtrak MAY run an OT bus from Omaha to Galesburg to either meet the Chief there or possibly just bus everyone through to Chicago. It really depends on the passenger counts and who's making connections to the east out of CHI. I would call Amtrak this morning and let them know you're the person in charge of this large group. Amtrak may very well provide a bus for you. Then again, they may not, but I would call first to check.

Otherwise, your idea about going to KCY is a good one, but I wouldn't pull that trigger until you see if the Zephyr leaves Denver more than 5 hours late.

Quick update on the train... they're expected into SLC 4 hours, 40 mins late, last reported 45 mins east of Elko at 5 hr, 28 mins late. Just goes to show you the padding in the schedule. They got further delayed another 40 mins by setting one of the bad engines out at Sparks.

-Rafi

Aloha

I hope the situation has improved, but my suggestion to call the theater, may be helpfull for two reasons. Non refundable is standard procedure to protect the shows from suddenly having empty theaters, while incurring cost for the theater. In your situation the show is sold out, the manager may be able to resell your tickets and then still have a full house.

I do hope you get there I think that show is similar to "the Complex Rock tour" of which I have a DVD and It is incredible.

I will be wisshing you luck and praying for your group.

Eric

Aloha
I hope the situation has improved, but my suggestion to call the theater, may be helpfull for two reasons. Non refundable is standard procedure to protect the shows from suddenly having empty theaters, while incurring cost for the theater. In your situation the show is sold out, the manager may be able to resell your tickets and then still have a full house.

I do hope you get there I think that show is similar to "the Complex Rock tour" of which I have a DVD and It is incredible.

I will be wisshing you luck and praying for your group.

Eric
Latest Julie update shows #6 arriving into CHI about 7:15PM!If this is correct(call an Agent )you should make your 10PM curtain time!Hope so! :)

And Erics a real pro in show biz, maybe his show biz Karma will bring good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back