Consist for Amtrak #974 LAX-SEA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Consist for #974 is as follows:

73 P42DC

74 P42DC

12 P42DC

75 P42DC

58108 Horizon Club Dinette (ADA)

82560 Amfleet I Regional Coach

43377 Amfleet I Full Dinette

48192 Amfleet I Club Dinette

48151 Amfleet I Club Dinette

82710 Amfleet I Regional Coach

82720 Amfleet I Regional Coach

82750 Amfleet I Regional Coach

82630 Amfleet I Regional Coach

82579 Amfleet I Regional Coach

82990 Amfleet I Regional Coach

82519 Amfleet I Regional Coach

48180 Amfleet I Club Dinette

82530 Amfleet I Regional Coach

82510 Amfleet I Regional Coach

82500 Amfleet I Regional Coach

82570 Amfleet I Regional Coach

39011 Superliner II Transition Sleeper

32110 Superliner II Sleeper "Tennessee"

37015 Superliner I Diner Lounge

37016 Superliner I Diner Lounge

32072 Superliner II Sleeper "Arkansas"

32026 Superliner I Sleeper

32106 Superliner II Sleeper "Pennsylvania"

What is #974?
huh.gif
I'd hate to ride from LAX to SEA in an Amfleet I. (KIN-WAS is bad enough!)
ohmy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I notice that two CCCs are on there-- guess they figured they couldn't spare the regular diners or sleepers and send the sh-- cars they got in the fleet.

Consist for #974 is as follows:

73 P42DC

74 P42DC

12 P42DC

75 P42DC

58108 Horizon Club Dinette (ADA)

82560 Amfleet I Regional Coach

43377 Amfleet I Full Dinette

48192 Amfleet I Club Dinette

48151 Amfleet I Club Dinette

82710 Amfleet I Regional Coach

82720 Amfleet I Regional Coach

82750 Amfleet I Regional Coach

82630 Amfleet I Regional Coach

82579 Amfleet I Regional Coach

82990 Amfleet I Regional Coach

82519 Amfleet I Regional Coach

48180 Amfleet I Club Dinette

82530 Amfleet I Regional Coach

82510 Amfleet I Regional Coach

82500 Amfleet I Regional Coach

82570 Amfleet I Regional Coach

39011 Superliner II Transition Sleeper

32110 Superliner II Sleeper "Tennessee"

37015 Superliner I Diner Lounge

37016 Superliner I Diner Lounge

32072 Superliner II Sleeper "Arkansas"

32026 Superliner I Sleeper

32106 Superliner II Sleeper "Pennsylvania"
Wonder if each of the cars is so messed up in the interior that it made more sense to put them on a test train than to try and fix them up for service? I can see where Amtrak would have a lot of Amfleet cars hanging around LA as they are sometimes pressed into service on holiday and summer peak periods for the Surfliners. But Superliner sleepers? Amtrak isn't exactly 'rolling' in extra stock here.

Wish I'd known about this in advance. Woulda been nice to head trackside to see this train jamming along at speed near my house.

Wonder if each of the cars is so messed up in the interior that it made more sense to put them on a test train than to try and fix them up for service? I can see where Amtrak would have a lot of Amfleet cars hanging around LA as they are sometimes pressed into service on holiday and summer peak periods for the Surfliners. But Superliner sleepers? Amtrak isn't exactly 'rolling' in extra stock here.
Having ridden in "Tennessee" not too long ago (three years) I can assure you that it's no crappy car, it had a decent interior. They are using AFIs which are the most abundant car in the system, and Superliners-- for what reason I don't know, maybe they want to test with the Superliners but didn't have the required axles for the test. Since there's no SSLs (too rare) and a couple CCCs (cars nobody really wants) I imagine they just put together a consist of spare Superliners and used the AFIs just to add length.

Note that the AFI cafés have the fresh paint scheme, meaning they were probably in revenue service not too long ago, or are about to go back in to the NEC pools after repair or refurb. It was probably easier to haul the AFIs from Beach Grove as they came out, to minimize the impact on the mainly Horizon Chicago fleet.

Then again Amtrak has AFIs at virtually every major station, including LAUS. So they could have come from LAUS, Beach Grove, CHI, or any combination therein.

Heh. I wish all of the LD trains were that long (platform lengths aren't that important right?) ;)

I was just thinking that. If all the trains were that long, and sufficient platform lengths at stations, more people would ride the trains and fewer cars on the roads and highways; and Amtrak would be profitable, adding/removing cars as need be according to supply and demand. Which is why Auto Train is the most profitable LD train on Amtrak.

Heh. I wish all of the LD trains were that long (platform lengths aren't that important right?) ;)
Probably if you're in Beaumont...in the mid-70's we were on a 26 car, Southern Crescent that had to double spot in Philly, of all places to discharge pax.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Video and Of Course a great Station too! :cool: Im wondering too How Amtrak was able to take so Many Superliner Sleepers out of Service instead of using the Disliked CCCs as Other Posters asked?? You'd think they would have used Coachhes since Superliner Sleepers are so Hard to Book on Most Trains and @ High Bucket too! :eek:

I wish I'd've known about this yesterday, I'd've gone out and chased it.

Okay, I'm sure somebody knows the capacity of each of those types of cars. How many passengers could that monster carry if it were sold out?

Okay, I'm sure somebody knows the capacity of each of those types of cars. How many passengers could that monster carry if it were sold out?
1 Horizon Club Dinette ADA X 14 = 14

1 Amfleet Full Dinette has zero capacity as it has no normal passenger seating.

3 Amfleet Club Dinettes X 15 = 45

12 Amfleet I coaches X 70 = 840

1 Superliner Trans/Dorm X 35 = 35

3 Superliner II Sleepers X 44 = 132

1 Superliner I Sleeper X 44 = 44

2 Superliner CCC's have zero capacity.

Grand total = 1,110 passengers assuming all rooms, including the attendants room are filled to max capacity and all seats are occupied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back