Complete list of Empire Builder perks

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darien-l

OBS Chief
Hi all. I just booked a trip for my parents from NY to Chicago on the Cardinal (they've already done LSL and wanted new scenery), and Chicago to West Glacier on Empire Builder. They'll spend a week at Glacier National Park, then take Empire Builder to Portland and fly back to NY.

They've heard that Empire Builder is considered a top-of-the-line Amtrak train, and would like a list of enhanced ameneties they can expect. Can we help them out? Here's what I pieced together so far:

1) Refurbished Superliner I sleeper cars

2) Champagne on depature (question: is it just on departure from Chicago, or can they expect it on departure from Glacier as well?)

3) All food cooked on-board

4) Better staffing in the dining car

5) Food served on real china

6) Wine-and-cheese tasting in the afternoon the day after leaving Chicago (is there a set time for this?)

7) Free bottles of wine for correctly answering trivia questions

Is all of the above still correct? Am I missing anything? Thanks!

P.S. Related question: do the meal times on Empire Builder differ from the other trains? In particular, when my parents board the train at West Glacier at 8:23 pm, can they expect dinner?

Only some meals are fully cooked on board. Most are the same preparation as the other LD trains. The big difference is the increased staffing level.

Hi all. I just booked a trip for my parents from NY to Chicago on the Cardinal (they've already done LSL and wanted new scenery), and Chicago to West Glacier on Empire Builder. They'll spend a week at Glacier National Park, then take Empire Builder to Portland and fly back to NY.
They've heard that Empire Builder is considered a top-of-the-line Amtrak train, and would like a list of enhanced ameneties they can expect. Can we help them out? Here's what I pieced together so far:

1) Refurbished Superliner I sleeper cars

2) Champagne on depature (question: is it just on departure from Chicago, or can they expect it on departure from Glacier as well?)

3) All food cooked on-board

4) Better staffing in the dining car

5) Food served on real china

6) Wine-and-cheese tasting in the afternoon the day after leaving Chicago (is there a set time for this?)

7) Free bottles of wine for correctly answering trivia questions

Is all of the above still correct? Am I missing anything? Thanks!

P.S. Related question: do the meal times on Empire Builder differ from the other trains? In particular, when my parents board the train at West Glacier at 8:23 pm, can they expect dinner?
1) Largely

2) It has been my experience that unless you are departing from Chicago, Seattle or Portland, you do not get champagne. In other words, after the passengers board at the original westbound and eastbound departure points, they often don't serve you champagne if you board in between.

3) I'll defer to others.

4) About the same as the Coastarlight, but it is well staffed.

5) Not throw away plates.

6) I believe about 1.5 hours before dinner. Either the EB or CS charge $5 per person for this event. Uusually sleeper passengers only.

7. At wine and cheese events they usually do give away a few bottles of wine. Rules for winning may vary.

Having just been on the Empire Builder twice last week, usually 2 to 3 times a year previous, I will try to give you the information I gleaned.

1. Yes, our bedroom looked new, even down to the curtains hanging in the windows. However, 2d passenger seat was broke, and not able to use. All cars passed through were in great condition.

2. Champagne and Apple Cider served upon departure from Chicago and Seattle, however, not from St. Paul. The table was set with blue cloth and two plastic glasses turned upside down. SCA opened and poured both. You can always ask if there are still any available.

3. I will defer to others on that as well, however, ribs were some of the best ever tasted, cooked perfectly, and the butcher block steak was a nice size and very tender. The Angus Burger is the burger, and breakfast I could tell no difference.

4. The staffing were 3 servers, 2 serving the coach end of the train, the other server serving the sleeper end. Also, the Lead Dining Car Attendant who did nothing but seat people and read magazines. Service was good, not great, and server not knowledgable in menu offerings.

5. Food served on real plates/glasses at dinner only. Also tablecoth at dinner. Otherwise, regular faux plates.

6. Wine and cheese tasting (free) usually a sign up sheet in sleeping car. Car 0730 already had his sign up sheet up upon departure from Chciago. Otherwise, sheet usually put up day of tasting. Tasting is scheduled for 3:30 pm in dining car according to Welcome Aboard information card in bedroom, however, I have always had the tasting shortly after departure from Havre, MT either way. It is usually 2:30 to 3:30.

7. The leftover bottles are given away in a trivia game, I did have the opportunity to win 3 of them at one tasting, no lush here, gave 2 away. Last trip, only one bottle was given away. The number given out has varied.

8. The last seating for dinner last Saturday was 6:45 pm. I thought unusually early. Again, the Welcome Aboard Information Card said the dining car was open till 9:00 pm. Guess it will depend on the train load and how many passengers that are anticipated to eat. I have left Minot ND after 10:00 pm and meals still being served.

9. The sleeping accommodation should have in it a safety card, Empire Builder Magazine, Empire Builder Schedule, Empire Builder Route Guide, at least 2 bottles of water, and 2 amenity kits. The amenity kits were new this year. Did not have them last year. The amenty kit bag itself probably cost more than the amenities inside them. A really nice bag. If any of this is missing, ask the SCA for it, more than likely the previous passenger in this room decided to take them when they got off.

Thanks for the great info, everyone! Interesting tidbit about food served on real plates at dinner only. I wonder why? I mean, if they have the facilities and staffing to wash dishes, why not use real plates for every meal?

Thanks for the great info, everyone! Interesting tidbit about food served on real plates at dinner only. I wonder why? I mean, if they have the facilities and staffing to wash dishes, why not use real plates for every meal?
cause they need a dishwasher(not the machine one) so they use throwaway cause i guess its cheaper.

When I rode the train, real plates and glasses were used at every meal, but not real table cloths.

One more question to those who rode the Empire Builder:

How is the wine tasting conducted, exactly? Did it add much to your overall enjoyment of the train? Also, do they ask for your ticket stubs to check that you're currently in a sleeper, or as long as your name is on the sign up sheet, you're all good?

The reason why I ask is because I booked my parents in a sleeper only to Wolf Point, MT, where the train arrives around noon, and coach to Glacier from there. I did that because it's a 20k AGR award to Wolf Point, and 35k to Glacier, and I figured that an extra 15k AGR points was too much for a roomette they probably won't even use during the day (they're big sightseer lounge fans), and one meal in the dining car. However, I'm having second thoughts because I don't want them to feel like they really missed out on the wine tasting. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Slightly off topic, but does anyone remember the Canadian Pacific Transcontinental dining service in its heyday? Linen tableclths and napkins, silverware spread out for days on either side of the place setting, crystal goblets. And the prime rib dinner! CP inspired the term "railroad slab" - meaning a slice of prime rib about an inch thick! And real horseradish. As Archie and Edith would sing, "Those were the days!"

VIA Rail is trying to emulate CP on the Canadian - Take a look at their menus web page. Different menus for each of the four days en route.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone remember the Canadian Pacific Transcontinental dining service in its heyday? Linen tableclths and napkins, silverware spread out for days on either side of the place setting, crystal goblets. And the prime rib dinner! CP inspired the term "railroad slab" - meaning a slice of prime rib about an inch thick! And real horseradish. As Archie and Edith would sing, "Those were the days!"
VIA Rail is trying to emulate CP on the Canadian - Take a look at their menus web page. Different menus for each of the four days en route.

Can only comment based on my past three experiences on The Canadian (about to take it Toronto-Vancouver again this May)...every meal has real china/cutlery and "real" (i.e., fabric) tablecloths. The food and the service are really exceptional IMO and even though the rolling stock is from the 1950's it has been maintained in great shape...these are some of the reasons I keep taking this train. Will be on the EB in April and anxious to compare the overall experience.

One more question to those who rode the Empire Builder:
How is the wine tasting conducted, exactly? Did it add much to your overall enjoyment of the train? Also, do they ask for your ticket stubs to check that you're currently in a sleeper, or as long as your name is on the sign up sheet, you're all good?

The reason why I ask is because I booked my parents in a sleeper only to Wolf Point, MT, where the train arrives around noon, and coach to Glacier from there. I did that because it's a 20k AGR award to Wolf Point, and 35k to Glacier, and I figured that an extra 15k AGR points was too much for a roomette they probably won't even use during the day (they're big sightseer lounge fans), and one meal in the dining car. However, I'm having second thoughts because I don't want them to feel like they really missed out on the wine tasting. Thoughts?
If they are in a sleeper at least part of the journey I believe they are probably ok but cannot promise. I do not recall the SCA's running the wine testing checking ticket stubs but since they are SCA's they know who is in the sleepers by siight, pretty much.

Commonly, prior to the wine event, they send someone to all the sleepers and take reservations to get a count. They do not hand out reservation slips like they do for reserved meals.

They offer four or more California or Northwest wines, two white, two red; one at a time. Usually one glass each, but more than once in a while you get a refill. They describe the wine before serving. They offer cheese and crackers with the wine.

If your parents are sociable and like to meet people, and/or love wine; they would enjoy the wine tasting. It is a nice amenity on a long trip, and helps you relax; but is not a make or break part of the trip for most; YMMV.

My parents are taking the Empire Builder out here to visit at the end of May, they will go MSP - SEA and return. It's fun to read all these details in the light of their imminent trip. I don't know when was the last time either one of them has been on a train, they are very excited for their trip.

We have been in the sleeper on several long distance trains, some get a morning paper to sleeper passengers. However, I can't recall getting one on the WB Empirer Builder either morning.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone remember the Canadian Pacific Transcontinental dining service in its heyday? Linen tableclths and napkins, silverware spread out for days on either side of the place setting, crystal goblets. And the prime rib dinner! CP inspired the term "railroad slab" - meaning a slice of prime rib about an inch thick! And real horseradish. . .
I rode Vancouver-Winnipeg in 1970 and had one of those little one-person roomettes. It was a great trip.

a lot also depends on your car attendant...when I rode the EB in 09, Gul was my car attendant and he kept the champagne and cookies coming, from chicago to seattle.

When I rode the train, real plates and glasses were used at every meal, but not real table cloths.
When we rode it in February, they used table clothes and real plates for dinner, but lunch and breakfast they had paper table clothes and even had crayons around for the kids to draw on the table cloths with.

We have been in the sleeper on several long distance trains, some get a morning paper to sleeper passengers. However, I can't recall getting one on the WB Empirer Builder either morning.
When I rode in December (from Fargo to Seattle), we got the morning paper in Minot and the next day we got a paper from somewhere else (though I can't remember from where).

When I rode in December (from Fargo to Seattle), we got the morning paper in Minot and the next day we got a paper from somewhere else (though I can't remember from where).
The Spokane paper, I think. Eastbound you get the Whitefish Interlake, and perhaps the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

After reading some of the other comments, a few things came back to mind, even after being on it last week. Newspapers, going west was the Minot Daily News, and cannot remember if there was one the 2d day, if it is, it could have very well been the Spokane paper picked up earlier. Never read one that morning due to early arrival and scenery into Seattle. Going east, it was the Whitefish paper and this time was the USA Today, not the Minneapolis Star Tribune as has been in the past.

Yes, there is thick white paper on the tables for breakfast and lunch. Had silverware for both meals on my trips, but it was the faux dishes for breakfast and lunch.

Also, have had the warm cookies given to me upon bedtime by the SCA and any leftovers were left out. They were oatmeal raisin. However, not every trip have I had this.

I agree with what jmbgeg is saying about the wine tasting. The last 4 or 5 trips I had the sign up sheet, but once did have the SCA go to each room asking if they were attending. I rarely drink wine, but it was a nice way to break the afternoon and socialize with others. Gives you something to look forward too. I honestly think the SCA would not say much if your parents signed up and attended, again, though, it is up to them since the SCA do run the tasting. No ticket stub checking or anything like that. They know who belongs there and who doesn't. The dining car will keep the bottle chilled for you if you do win one for dinner time.

Again, so much depends on the SCA. I have been on trains where candy bowls were left out and continually filled. Bowls of mints and hard candy available. Individual packets of Pepperidge Farm cookies available. Some restrooms have the air freshner hanging, others don't. The above especially gets a bump in the tip to the SCA for me.

I think your parents will enjoy the trip/scenery very much and will have great service. As I said, the many, many trips I have taken on the Empire Builder, only once have I had a SCA and Diniing Car Crew that was below par and Amtrak did hear from me.

After reading some of the other comments, a few things came back to mind, even after being on it last week. Newspapers, going west was the Minot Daily News, and cannot remember if there was one the 2d day, if it is, it could have very well been the Spokane paper picked up earlier. Never read one that morning due to early arrival and scenery into Seattle. Going east, it was the Whitefish paper and this time was the USA Today, not the Minneapolis Star Tribune as has been in the past.
Yes, there is thick white paper on the tables for breakfast and lunch. Had silverware for both meals on my trips, but it was the faux dishes for breakfast and lunch.

Also, have had the warm cookies given to me upon bedtime by the SCA and any leftovers were left out. They were oatmeal raisin. However, not every trip have I had this.

I agree with what jmbgeg is saying about the wine tasting. The last 4 or 5 trips I had the sign up sheet, but once did have the SCA go to each room asking if they were attending. I rarely drink wine, but it was a nice way to break the afternoon and socialize with others. Gives you something to look forward too. I honestly think the SCA would not say much if your parents signed up and attended, again, though, it is up to them since the SCA do run the tasting. No ticket stub checking or anything like that. They know who belongs there and who doesn't. The dining car will keep the bottle chilled for you if you do win one for dinner time.

Again, so much depends on the SCA. I have been on trains where candy bowls were left out and continually filled. Bowls of mints and hard candy available. Individual packets of Pepperidge Farm cookies available. Some restrooms have the air freshner hanging, others don't. The above especially gets a bump in the tip to the SCA for me.

I think your parents will enjoy the trip/scenery very much and will have great service. As I said, the many, many trips I have taken on the Empire Builder, only once have I had a SCA and Diniing Car Crew that was below par and Amtrak did hear from me.
I rode the EB from Portand to Chicago a couple of weeks and found that by no means did it live up to its first-class pretensions as touted in the on-board magazine, especially in comparison to the CS.

The velcro was missing on the privacy curtains in the deluxe bedroom, the folding table was broken, the main light did not work, and the toilet only flushed periodically. The conductor and SCA basically shrugged their shoulders. Only later did I realize that bedroom A was unsold for the entire trip, and I could have been moved there--except the SCA had decamped there with all his belongings for the entire trip. I am still pissed about that. The SCA was Mr. Invisisible except for twice a day, fixing the bed and putting away the bed. He never said anything to me about a wine tasting, and I learned about it at dinner the second night from seatmates who had attended.

The dining car servers were abrupt and, I'm afraid to say, generally unfriendly. One in particular made a big deal--two separate sittings--when a sleeper passenger inadvertently signed the wrong line on the order form. I prayed the final day of breakfast and lunch to be seated in another server's section.

The food was OK and the scenery is frequently stunning. But in putting out top dough for this trip, I am still steamed over the crappy equipment. How can Amtrak send out a sleeper with basic issues not fixed? Does anyone check the lights, toilet, table, etc. during cleaning and maintenance after each trip?

I'm sure that if I were to ride the EB 10 times, 7 or 8 trips might be really wonderful experiences. But having shelled out once for the trip, I would NEVER risk my money again that I would still get the 2 or 3 lousy experiences. For those of you who say Amtrak travel is an adventure, I say to you: if you want to gamble, essentially, with your own money, then play the odds and see if you get a great trip (assuming you're all not riding on AGR points earned mainly through non-Amtrak purchases). But for my money, I would like to have certainty that I don't end up incredibly irritated at all the little things that Amtrak can't fix or improve, both with equipment and personnel!

It has been my experience that unless you are departing from Chicago, Seattle or Portland, you do not get champagne. In other words, after the passengers board at the original westbound and eastbound departure points, they often don't serve you champagne if you board in between.
They give it departing from PDX? I knew they did it at CHI and SEA, I didn't know Portland too-- but, I have never travelled sleeper out of Portland.

Incidentally most of the TAS's I have have left the bottles down in the luggage rack area. Doris on the EB and Paul on the CS are two attendants that I can name, off hand... I saw Paul giving out bottles to sleepers boarding in PDX on the CS, so like all of the above it may depend all on the attendant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back