Complete list of Empire Builder perks

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading all this about the EB, I have to find out, what other routes offer these kinds of ameneties?(i.e. wine tasting, trivia contests, etc.) I'm planning a trip on the CS to LAX, and the CZ to CHI this summer, do they have the same ameneties?

After reading all this about the EB, I have to find out, what other routes offer these kinds of ameneties?(i.e. wine tasting, trivia contests, etc.) I'm planning a trip on the CS to LAX, and the CZ to CHI this summer, do they have the same ameneties?
The CS has wine tastings each afternoon - very good west coast wines and not bad artisan cheeses. And of course you have the Pacific Parlour Car (yes, inclusion of the "u" is correct) with its matinee and evening movies on the lower level. I saw Julie and Julia on a recent northbound out of SLO.

I took the CZ west from Chicago in February and I don't recall wine tastings, although there may have been some. I just wasn't tuned in for that at that time.

In any event, you'll have a great time on both these routes.

One other thing, are your two trips at the same time? If you go all the way to LAX (which you should because the best scenery on the CS is south of Salinas), you will have to come back to EMY to catch the CZ eastbound. But of course I'm sure you know that! :blink: :unsure: :eek: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
The CS has wine tastings each afternoon - very good west coast wines and not bad artisan cheeses. And of course you have the Pacific Parlour Car (yes, inclusion of the "u" is correct) with its matinee and evening movies on the lower level. I saw Julie and Julia on a recent northbound out of SLO.

I took the CZ west from Chicago in February and I don't recall wine tastings, although there may have been some. I just wasn't tuned in for that at that time.

In any event, you'll have a great time on both these routes.

One other thing, are your two trips at the same time? If you go all the way to LAX (which you should because the best scenery on the CS is south of Salinas), you will have to come back to EMY to catch the CZ eastbound. But of course I'm sure you know that! :blink: :unsure: :eek: :lol:

I am planning to go all the way, aka, 2 trips at once, I figure might as well, right? Here is the way I have it planned, via amtrak.com: TE#421 from FTW-LAX, CS#14 from LAX-EMY, CZ#6 from EMY-CHI, TE#21 from CHI-FTW

OK. I understand now. When you said "CS to LAX" I thought you were going southbound.
Have a great trip!

Oh, sorry, I'll be heading northbound on the CS, then catching the CZ to CHI. Then, after a few days in Chicago, I'll take the TE back to FTW. Unless ya'll have any better suggestions, that is. And I'm still curious as to whether the CS, or CZ have the same sort of ameneties as the EB.

OK. I understand now. When you said "CS to LAX" I thought you were going southbound.
Have a great trip!

Oh, sorry, I'll be heading northbound on the CS, then catching the CZ to CHI. Then, after a few days in Chicago, I'll take the TE back to FTW. Unless ya'll have any better suggestions, that is. And I'm still curious as to whether the CS, or CZ have the same sort of ameneties as the EB.
The CS yes, and I have only travelled the CZ once, and I believe so.

Have a great trip!

I just got back tues. from a trip similar to yours except I left FTW to Lax, then I took the CS to Portland (PDX), Then went to CHI via the EB. I was worried about the short connx. times but, I made all the connx. on time.

The CS Was the best part of the trip seconded only by the EB(I was also on the CZ and the SWC on this trip) Both the EB and the CS had REAL china dishes and ceramic coffee mugs( I dropped one and it fell in my suitcase, I didn't find it till I got home :D ) The OBS on both of these trips were excellent from the dining staff to to the SCA's. On both trains we were welcomed with either sparkling champagne or chilled apple cider, and a neat little velvet bag w bathroom amenities, both trains had wine and cheese tasting which was announced 15 minutes prior to. I did not participate in the wine tasting but was allowed to set in the PPC while this was going on.The food on these two trains were great,the EB has great pancakes a great switch from french toast since i don't eat eggs. The cool thing about the EB is you are in the last sleeping car and you can look out of the back of the train and see yourself leaving tracks.

On the CZ back to chicago(again) I got the SCA from a prison camp I think. No coffee after 4pm,beds turned down while we were at dinner,we still had 2 hrs daylight left to look out the window.I put my bed back up and told Grace our SCA that I would put it down myself. Anyhow I hope you have a good trip and hope this helped

Oh yea I almost forgot the coast starlight now has Wi-Fi as an added amenity and on the EB we also got choclates on our pillows

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a great trip!

I just got back tues. from a trip similar to yours except I left FTW to Lax, then I took the CS to Portland (PDX), Then went to CHI via the EB. I was worried about the short connx. times but, I made all the connx. on time.

The CS Was the best part of the trip seconded only by the EB(I was also on the CZ and the SWC on this trip) Both the EB and the CS had REAL china dishes and ceramic coffee mugs( I dropped one and it fell in my suitcase, I didn't find it till I got home :D ) The OBS on both of these trips were excellent from the dining staff to to the SCA's. On both trains we were welcomed with either sparkling champagne or chilled apple cider, and a neat little velvet bag w bathroom amenities, both trains had wine and cheese tasting which was announced 15 minutes prior to. I did not participate in the wine tasting but was allowed to set in the PPC while this was going on.The food on these two trains were great,the EB has great pancakes a great switch from french toast since i don't eat eggs. The cool thing about the EB is you are in the last sleeping car and you can look out of the back of the train and see yourself leaving tracks.

On the CZ back to chicago(again) I got the SCA from a prison camp I think. No coffee after 4pm,beds turned down while we were at dinner,we still had 2 hrs daylight left to look out the window.I put my bed back up and told Grace our SCA that I would put it down myself. Anyhow I hope you have a good trip and hope this helped

Oh yea I almost forgot the coast starlight now has Wi-Fi as an added amenity and on the EB we also got choclates on our pillows
How did you manage to work in the EB, and the CZ? Your route sounds like it might be better.

Have a great trip!

How did you manage to work in the EB, and the CZ? Your route sounds like it might be better.
I traveled on a 15 day rail-pass(had to pay for rmmttes seperate) We left Ft. worth to SAS on our dime then started our 15 day 8 segment rail pass 1. Sas to Lax.(TE), 2.Lax to PDX(CS) 3.Pdx to Chi (EB) 4. Chi. to Flagstaff (SWC) 5.Flagstaff to Lax. (SWC) 6.Lax to Sacramento (CS) 7.Sac. to Chi. (CZ) 8.Chi. to FTW (TE) We spent two seperate nights in Chicago,two consecutive nights in Flagstaff, and one night in Sacramento. We logged in just under 12,000 miles in 2 weeks Great trip. The only bad experience I had was on the CZ,but the people in the adjoing sleeping car who had Pete for an attendant probably had the best train experience and they were on the same train!(I asked the conductor for a SCA upgrade he looked at me and said" sorry, but you're stuck with ......)

a lot also depends on your car attendant...
Very true.

...when I rode the EB in 09, Gul was my car attendant and he kept the champagne and cookies coming, from chicago to seattle."
One trip from SEA-MSP on the EB, the attendant gave each one. But the next morning coming into MSP, he had about 20

bottles sitting out by the coffee/juice area for the taking. Go figure, but at least I made a impromptu Mimosa to kick-start the day before getting off.

Next EB from PDX, I mentioned that absurdity of hoarding to the attendant. He brought me 5! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back