Coast Starlight to Seattle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning to take my family (two adults, two children) from San Francisco area to Seattle and back. Which is better, family bedroom or two roomettes?

Also, from what I have read, the Coast Starlight is more often late than on time. Sometimes several hours late. The northboard trip deaparts from San Jose (the closest station to us) at about 9:00 PM and arrives at King Street Station in Seattle 24 hours later. I am concerned that we may not be able to board until 2AM in morning, then arrive middle of the night at Seattle with luggage and 2 small kids in a seedy part of town trying to find a place to spend the night. Any thoughts?

You'll have to reserve a hotel in Seattle and let them know that you'll be arriving by Amtrak.

In San Jose, it may be not too bad to be late. The farther away from the originated station, such as Los Angeles or Seattle, more late it will be. You have two choices to see when the train is coming- calling staffed station or Julie from Amtrak reservation system (it may be unreliable).

Thanks for your quick reply. Any thoughts as to family bedroom vs two roomettes for two adults and two kids?

I don't think the Coast Starlight would arrive in San Fran at 2AM. I mean, its possible, but...

As for Seattle, I don't know how seedy the area the station is in, but I doubt its all that seedy. And because of its attraction as a tourist train, the CS probably arrives in Seattle with quite a few passengers still onboard, so you won't be alone.

As for the Family Bedroom Vs. The roomettes, assuming your children are younger, it comes down to price. If 2 Roomettes are cheaper, go with that. If the Family Bedroom is cheaper, go with that. And book this trip yesterday.

Roomettes: Located on both upper and lower level. Has large windows.

Family Bedroom: two regular length and two "child" length beds. Located on lower level on one end of car. Has two small windows on both sides of car.

i would go with the family bedroom. we have gotten one several times for 2 adults and two kids. very roomy. window on both sides. in my experience, often cheaper than 2 roomettes. also, you are not assured of 2 roomettes across from or next to each other.

the coast starlight has had much better on time performance lately. not a lot of hotels within easy walking distance by king st station in seattle. probably need a short cab ride to the hotel you have reserved. we have had good luck with "travelodge by the space needle". breakfast, pool, a couple blocks to seattle center

i would go with the family bedroom. we have gotten one several times for 2 adults and two kids. very roomy. window on both sides. in my experience, often cheaper than 2 roomettes. also, you are not assured of 2 roomettes across from or next to each other.the coast starlight has had much better on time performance lately. not a lot of hotels within easy walking distance by king st station in seattle. probably need a short cab ride to the hotel you have reserved. we have had good luck with "travelodge by the space needle". breakfast, pool, a couple blocks to seattle center
I have reserved a room at the Best Western on Taylor Ave, 1 or 2 blocks from the Space Needle. Are you familiar with it, this is my 1st time in Seattle

i would go with the family bedroom. we have gotten one several times for 2 adults and two kids. very roomy. window on both sides. in my experience, often cheaper than 2 roomettes. also, you are not assured of 2 roomettes across from or next to each other.the coast starlight has had much better on time performance lately. not a lot of hotels within easy walking distance by king st station in seattle. probably need a short cab ride to the hotel you have reserved. we have had good luck with "travelodge by the space needle". breakfast, pool, a couple blocks to seattle center
I have reserved a room at the Best Western on Taylor Ave, 1 or 2 blocks from the Space Needle. Are you familiar with it, this is my 1st time in Seattle
it's a block from the travelodge where we usually stay. good neighborhood, good location, looks like a good choice for you.

As for Seattle, I don't know how seedy the area the station is in, but I doubt its all that seedy. And because of its attraction as a tourist train, the CS probably arrives in Seattle with quite a few passengers still onboard, so you won't be alone.
The area around Seattle station seems ok in daylight, lots of people about.

Don't know what its like at night, but as GML says there will be other people about from the train.

Enjoy Seattle, its a pretty nice place.

Don't know what its like at night, but as GML says there will be other people about from the train.

I'll be arriving on the West Bound EB around 10:20 am & depart the next morning on the South Bound CS around 9:45 Besides relaxing, any tips on what to check out??? :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:

I'll be arriving on the West Bound EB around 10:20 am & depart the next morning on the South Bound CS around 9:45 Besides relaxing, any tips on what to check out??? :blink:

While you're in Seattle, I'd consider this a must-do: http://www.argosycruises.com/publiccruises/harbor.cfm

I took one of these tours last year, and next time I'm in Seattle and have any time at all, I'll do it again. I'd check out the Space Needle and monorail, too.

While you're in Seattle, I'd consider this a must-do: http://www.argosycruises.com/publiccruises/harbor.cfm

I took one of these tours last year, and next time I'm in Seattle and have any time at all, I'll do it again. I'd check out the Space Needle and monorail, too.
You might check out the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field, also check out Pike's Market. The market is about 5 blocks from the end of the monorail line after leaving the Space Needle.

Which particular tour would you reccommend?

I had a morning and afternoon in Seattle till the EB left for Chicago and I had a trip on the monorail and then up the Space Needle, a wander round Pike Place market and the waterfront and a trip to Bainbridge and back on the ferry.

The market is my personal favourite, go and watch the flying salmon!

Some photos here...http://50031.fotopic.net/c1398835.html

I had a morning and afternoon in Seattle till the EB left for Chicago and I had a trip on the monorail and then up the Space Needle, a wander round Pike Place market and the waterfront and a trip to Bainbridge and back on the ferry.

All of this sounds GREAT!!!

The problem is my legs can't carry me very far. ;)

The Ferry sounds like a winner or the harbor cruise mentioned earlier.

FLYING SALMON????? :eek:

Anyone who has ever been to Pike Place Market (I never have, unfortunately) all say they go there for the entertainment! The flying salmon, especially. Many people don't really want to buy the salmon, but want to watch the workers at the fish place at work/play.

Anyone who has ever been to Pike Place Market (I never have, unfortunately) all say they go there for the entertainment! The flying salmon, especially. Many people don't really want to buy the salmon, but want to watch the workers at the fish place at work/play.
We were there last weekend watching the flying salmon. There were probably 150-200 people just to watch the fish fly gathered around. It's actually pretty entertaining.

http://www.pikeplacefish.com/

Well worth a visit!

If you have trouble getting about, I think the buses in the downdown area are free, seemed to be lots of buses about when I was there. That said, the bits you will probably want to go to are not that far apart, and there are elevators down from the higher parts(the market) down to the waterfront.

Well worth a visit!

If you have trouble getting about, I think the buses in the downdown area are free, seemed to be lots of buses about when I was there. That said, the bits you will probably want to go to are not that far apart, and there are elevators down from the higher parts(the market) down to the waterfront.
I'm a CATFISH LOVIN SOUTHERN BOY, any suggestions for a non-expensive restaurant w/Kick Butt fish sandwiches?

Heard the Space Neddle was fairly inexpensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!LLLLLOOOOLLL :lol:

Well worth a visit!

I'm a CATFISH LOVIN SOUTHERN BOY, any suggestions for a non-expensive restaurant w/Kick Butt fish sandwiches?

Heard the Space Neddle was fairly inexpensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!LLLLLOOOOLLL :lol:
Yeah it's inexpensive if your frame of reference is say.... I don't know... Disneyland? A cruise? lol But it's unique, I'll give it that.

I think the buses in the downdown area are free
Yes, downtown Seattle has a free ride zone. In addition to all the other fine suggestions, let me recommend riding the **** - South Lake Union Trolley. It's new. There are also Seattle Mariners games, if they're in town when one is visiting (they stink this season, and games are expensive). Right across the street you can get a brewery tour at the Pyramid Alehouse. Something I would recommend is a tour of the University District. Accessible by trolley bus, and packed with interesting little local restaurants.

Aloha

I went through Seattle on 2 different times and I feel Seattle is better than the average. As long as you are aware of your surroundings there is no need to worry.

Enjoy :)

Last year, I decided to create and maintain a list of things to see and do in the cities I visit semi-frequently but that I haven't been able to fully explore. Here is my list for Seattle, culled from a variety of sources (but mostly the things that looked interesting to me on http://wikitravel.org/en/Seattle):

Seattle Underground Tour

Pike Place Market

Museum of Flight

Pacific Science Center

Experience Music Project/Science Fiction Museum (same admission)

Space Needle

Monorail

UW/University District

Sound Garden at Magnuson Park

Costco HQ (Issaquah)/Store #1 (SoDo)

Microsoft HQ (Redmond)

Nintendo USA HQ (Redmond, IIRC)

Central Library

Columbia Center

Boeing plant (Everett)

A trip on the Sounder, of course! (Not to mention the new light rail and, most importantly, a ride on the rhymes-with-you-know-what)

Of these, I've now seen Pike Place (I arrived just as it was closing, so it was kind of a letdown, but I'll have to try again earlier in the day and see if it's more exciting), the Monorail, Microsoft's HQ, and Costco's HQ in Issaquah and Store #1 in SoDo. (Hey, Costco's the greatest store on earth...gotta pay homage to it!)

I'm gonna have to add a few things from this thread to my list:

Ferry to Bainbridge Island

Argosy Cruises

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back