Coast Starlight to Seattle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aloha

Thats an interesting list from jackal. Here are a couple of Images from One of My Seattle visit.

12556755_U5dTj-M.jpg

And another

10226589_WE3Js-M.jpg

and lastly the train station

10226584_2ic8x-M.jpg

well sort of. :)

Aloha
Thats an interesting list from jackal. Here are a couple of Images from One of My Seattle visit.

12556755_U5dTj-M.jpg

And another

10226589_WE3Js-M.jpg

and lastly the train station

10226584_2ic8x-M.jpg

well sort of. :)
the train station and all 14,410 ft of mt rainier. nice pic

the seattle art museum, right downtown, is very worth a visit. as is the asian art museum in volunteer park(one admission gets you both if done on the same day)

Assuming the price is the same, what are the advantages and disadvantages of 2 roomettes vs 1 family bedroom?

Assuming the price is the same, what are the advantages and disadvantages of 2 roomettes vs 1 family bedroom?
Well Family room is always on lower level which is noiser(track) and the view is more restricted even with windows on both sides. The view and noise of lower level roometts are about the same, except for only one side.

The upper level sways a bit more and is quieter, but the view is greater from the height. Still only one side unless your rooms are across from each other.

I don't remember if you said this was a round trip, but if it is, why not try both?

Just to add to that list, the roomettes don't have all that much room for the kids to play. Now I'm not suggesting that the family room is a huge suite either, but there is definately more room to spread out and a bit more floor space.

The family room is also much closer to the majority of the bathrooms (3 on the lower level, 1 on the upper) and it's near the shower as well as the luggage rack too.

King St. Station is right next to Qwest Field, and there are lots of yuppie bars and loft conversions in that area - not scary at night, even with the occasional panhandler. If you can afford it, you might prefer two roomettes, just to have a "kid-free" zone to get away to; don't board the CS in San Jose if you live in the City, use the Amtrak bus connection to Oakland or Emeryville. And not to rain on the parade (but hey, it is Seattle), but Pike Place is a suffocatingly crowded tourist trap. Take a walk around Little Tokyo (right next to King St.) or go for a ferry ride instead.

I think the buses in the downdown area are free
Yes, downtown Seattle has a free ride zone. In addition to all the other fine suggestions, let me recommend riding the **** - South Lake Union Trolley. It's new. There are also Seattle Mariners games, if they're in town when one is visiting (they stink this season, and games are expensive). Right across the street you can get a brewery tour at the Pyramid Alehouse. Something I would recommend is a tour of the University District. Accessible by trolley bus, and packed with interesting little local restaurants.
Did you mis spell the trolley name? :eek:

Did you mis spell the trolley name?
No. You can Google "Seattle ****" and it comes right up. One of those things where the name just stuck. Google South Lake Union Trolley, and get most of the same links. Tried to call it "South Lake Union Streetcar," but that didn't catch on. It's a short streetcar ride, ripe for extension.

EDIT: Off topic, and maybe off color, you can get shirts saying "Ride the ****," or "I rode the ****."

Last edited by a moderator:
I have decided to fly in to SeaTac then ride the Coast Starlight back to San Jose. I would prefer not to rent a car, because I understand there is no nearby rental car returns near the King Street Station. So, if I were to select a downtown hotel, there should be no problems walking to all the attractions, right? Any suggestions for a clean, not too expensive hotel?

Also, getting to hotel from SeaTac. I contacted several downtown hotels, so far none of them offer shuttle pickup. How much would a taxi ride cost? Any alternatives?

I have decided to fly in to SeaTac then ride the Coast Starlight back to San Jose. I would prefer not to rent a car, because I understand there is no nearby rental car returns near the King Street Station. So, if I were to select a downtown hotel, there should be no problems walking to all the attractions, right? Any suggestions for a clean, not too expensive hotel?
Also, getting to hotel from SeaTac. I contacted several downtown hotels, so far none of them offer shuttle pickup. How much would a taxi ride cost? Any alternatives?
Aloha

I attended a convention that the sponsor insisted I spent an overnight in a SEA-TAC hotel cab fare was 30 each way plus tip. This was enough years ago that the fare could be higher.

Last year, I decided to create and maintain a list of things to see and do in the cities I visit semi-frequently but that I haven't been able to fully explore. Here is my list for Seattle,
I'll add to this:

the new Seattle Public Library (an architectural marvel)

Gasworks Park (fantastic panoramic view of the city)

the "troll bridge" and giant statue of Lenin in Fremont

the gum wall (on an alley sort of behind Pike Place Market)

Someone has mentioned the Travelodge at Space Needle as a good place to stay. I checked it's location, its about 0.2 mile away from the space needle, but does not fall in the Free Ride zone. For those who had stayed there before, is it a long walk to pike street, auqarium, etc?

Someone has mentioned the Travelodge at Space Needle as a good place to stay. I checked it's location, its about 0.2 mile away from the space needle, but does not fall in the Free Ride zone. For those who had stayed there before, is it a long walk to pike street, auqarium, etc?
It's a bit of a walk to the Pike Street Market, and further to the aquarium and ferries. Downhill from the TraveLodge. And although the hotel is outside the free ride zone, you can walk into the zone and take a bus from there.

EDIT: I've stayed there, and found it acceptable.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a bit of a walk to the Pike Street Market, and further to the aquarium and ferries. Downhill from the TraveLodge. And although the hotel is outside the free ride zone, you can walk into the zone and take a bus from there.
About how far of a walk?

I think we were having this discussion somewhere on FlyerTalk. There are two buses that go between the airport and downtown. The folks on FlyerTalk suggested taking the express bus, since it takes half as long to transit between the two. Here is some info copied from Wikitravel:

* Metro(city bus) - Routes 194 (express, 30 minutes) and 174 (45-60 minutes) will get you downtown for $2.25 during peak hours (6-9am and 3-6pm) and $1.50 at all other times. Get exact change by buying a latte at the little Chinook coffee stand by the baggage claim downstairs, then exit the terminal, turn right and walk all the way to the south end of the building where you will find a couple of Metro bus stops with schedules posted. Be aware that the 174/194 at the first bus stop head downtown; the 174/194 at the second (adjacent) bus stop head out to Federal Way.

* Taxi - The trip is about 20 minutes by taxi (expect to pay $30-40 plus tip); catch one on the third floor of the parking garage.

* Rental car - On a weekend, you might want to shop the internet for rental cars, since they can be less than $12/day (plus roughly 18% tax; also consider hotel parking fees, if any). Beware of the fact that taking a rental from the airport will incur an 11% "airport tax" surcharge. If you are able to rent a car from a downtown location you will not have to pay this and will save a considerable amount of money.

* Visitor Center - If you come through the airport but still need help planning your trip, making hotel reservations, tour bookings, getting area and downtown maps and more, make sure you stop by the Seattle Southside Visitor Centerat exit 156 off of Interstate 5. It is the official visitor center for the SeaTac International Airport and Seattle Southside region.

* Commercial shuttle buses are about $5-$12.75 and probably not faster than the bus if you are going downtown.

* Also a special note. In the fall of 2009 Sound Transit will begin operating a light-rail line between downtown Seattle and the Seattle-Tacoma (Sea-Tac) International Airport. (http://www.soundtransit.org/x1171.xml)

If a train is significantly delayed, do sleeping car passengers have to paid for meals? Let's say I was supposed to get off the train at 10:00 AM, but due to delay, I was not able to get off until 2:00 PM. Would I have to pay the the lunch?

No, if they are late, they are responsible. In some situations, even coach passengers get free food if the train is running late enough.

I'll be arriving on the West Bound EB around 10:20 am & depart the next morning on the South Bound CS around 9:45 Besides relaxing, any tips on what to check out??? :blink:
I had a morning and afternoon in Seattle till the EB left for Chicago and I had a trip on the monorail and then up the Space Needle, a wander round Pike Place market and the waterfront and a trip to Bainbridge and back on the ferry.

The market is my personal favourite, go and watch the flying salmon!

Some photos here...http://50031.fotopic.net/c1398835.html
All of this sounds GREAT!!!

The problem is my legs can't carry me very far. ;)

The Ferry sounds like a winner or the harbor cruise mentioned earlier.

FLYING SALMON????? :eek:
http://www.pikeplacefish.com/

Well worth a visit!

If you have trouble getting about, I think the buses in the downdown area are free, seemed to be lots of buses about when I was there. That said, the bits you will probably want to go to are not that far apart, and there are elevators down from the higher parts(the market) down to the waterfront.
Seattle is a great destination. We were there in May and I arranged a tour for 7 people with "Savor Seattle" - it's really just a tour (3 hour or so) sampling some of the goodies around the Pike Market and we were unable to eat lunch afterwards! Of course there's a lot more to do there than eat (!) but this was a great way to enjoy Seattle. The flying fish are always fun - especially watching the unsuspecting tourist... Here's a website to enjoy. Angela herself took us around and she was simply great. If you email her, tell her Carol told you about her.

http://www.SavorSeattleTours...

If a train is significantly delayed, do sleeping car passengers have to paid for meals? Let's say I was supposed to get off the train at 10:00 AM, but due to delay, I was not able to get off until 2:00 PM. Would I have to pay the the lunch?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. If you are a Sleeping Car passenger and you are scheduled off at an intermediate stop at 10am but the train is running late and will not be getting to your station until 2pm, then you can just head down to the diner and get lunch like everyone else. Consider it a perk for a late train. If, however, you are going to the end of the line with arrival at 10am and the train is running 4 hours late, it is likely that there will not be an extra meal service. For example, a few years ago I was on the Zephyr due into Emeryville at 5pm and we did not get in until 8:30. There was no extra meal served. Extra meals usually require a really late train.

You are not missing much if they do not provide the extra meal. Unless they have lots of extra real food on board, the extra meal is usually canned beef stew for everyone. I'd have to be starving.

Has anybody stayed at the Best Western Pioneer Square (on Yesler I believe)? It appears to be only 3 or 4 blocks from the SEA station. It seems to be reasonably priced.

It is probably the closest hotel to King Street Station you will find. The walk is more like 5 or 6 blocks. But still, quite walkable. The reviews from previous guests are quite good. But at more than $180 per night plus tax, (parking extra charge and off site), it's not that cheap.

Has anybody stayed at the Best Western Pioneer Square (on Yesler I believe)? It appears to be only 3 or 4 blocks from the SEA station. It seems to be reasonably priced.
it is the closest decent hotel to king st station, is in a very interesting area(the refurbished "skid road"), a good hotel but somewhat overpriced. however, if it fits your budget it is a good place to stay near the station and near to the sights of downtown seattle and the waterfront

It is probably the closest hotel to King Street Station you will find. The walk is more like 5 or 6 blocks. But still, quite walkable. The reviews from previous guests are quite good. But at more than $180 per night plus tax, (parking extra charge and off site), it's not that cheap.
I have a reservation for for $139, so it is in my price range.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back