Chicago Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are attending my son's graduation from Navy Training Camp in August in Great Lakes and are taking Amtrak from NY to Union Station in Chi. Anyone know about car rentals; public transportation around town and to Ohare (he leaves from OHAre to his next assignment). Any trains up to Great Lakes? Any hints around traffic from UNion Stn if we rent the car there?

We are attending my son's graduation from Navy Training Camp in August in Great Lakes and are taking Amtrak from NY to Union Station in Chi. Anyone know about car rentals; public transportation around town and to Ohare (he leaves from OHAre to his next assignment). Any trains up to Great Lakes? Any hints around traffic from UNion Stn if we rent the car there?
The Metra commuter North Line runs up the lake shore as far as Kenosha, but I'm not sure how close it gets to Naval Training Station. I do know that I commonly see sailor travelling through Ogilvy Transportation Center, which is just 2 (safe) blocks north of Union Station. Your son may know more about how to make the connection.

There's also a Hertz office in Union Station. Traffic is not bad during the day but rush hours can be a mess. Also, the Edens Expressway up the north side is undergoing extensive construction right now.

Getting from Great Lakes to OHare would probably require that you come all the way downtown, then hike several blocks (20 minutes) from Ogilvy to the Blue Line. That's $2 per person and takes about an hour (lots of track work this summer: used to take 40 minutes :-().

Amtrak partners with Hertz and therefore at many stations, including Chicago, one can rent a car from Hertz at the station. I suspect that there are other rental agencies close to Chicago's Union Station.

Getting from the station to O'Hare is very easy to do. One needs to exit from the Great Hall onto Clinton Street and turn left or south. A short 3 block walk will bring you to the CTA's Blue Line Clinton station. The Blue Line will take you directly to O'Hare. Be sure to allow a good hour to travel out there though.

METRA, Chicago's commuter service offers train service to Great Lakes Station right near the base. More info on that train can be found here.

I might know a thing or two about "public transportation around town" in Chicago. If you have any specific questions, PM me.

I might know a thing or two about "public transportation around town" in Chicago. If you have any specific questions, PM me.
Thanks, I might take you up on that offer!

In the meantime, and maybe more of a general question... we will be staying in Barrington/Hoffman Estates for part of our trip. Hotel mentioned that best way to get there (without paying astronomical cab fare) is Metra to Hanover Park then a cab. From there on, everything is a 'short cab ride' away, for instance Woodfield Mall, MidevialTimes, etc. Does CTA run out there, or is that only more in the downtown Chicago area?

Also, if I add up all of the 'short cab ride' fares and decide instead to rent a car at Union Station, is the actual pick up at the station? For an out-of-towner to drive to where I just mentioned, is it going to be a nerve-wracking experience? This would be Fr-Sun by the way...

Thanks in advance, so much to do there, so little time!!!

Thanks, I might take you up on that offer!

In the meantime, and maybe more of a general question... we will be staying in Barrington/Hoffman Estates for part of our trip. Hotel mentioned that best way to get there (without paying astronomical cab fare) is Metra to Hanover Park then a cab. From there on, everything is a 'short cab ride' away, for instance Woodfield Mall, MidevialTimes, etc. Does CTA run out there, or is that only more in the downtown Chicago area?

Also, if I add up all of the 'short cab ride' fares and decide instead to rent a car at Union Station, is the actual pick up at the station? For an out-of-towner to drive to where I just mentioned, is it going to be a nerve-wracking experience? This would be Fr-Sun by the way...

Thanks in advance, so much to do there, so little time!!!
While CTA runs mainly in the downtown area, it does cover many other areas as well...unfortunately, it does not go out to the area you are staying at (Barrington/Hoffman Estates). Metra is your best bet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back