Chicago Metropolitan Lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The other thing that bugs me about the alleged changes is that many connecting regional trains don't have a sleeper class. Someone may want to take sleepers all the way, & would be willing to pay for it (and lounge access), but Amtrak doesn't offer it so they can't use the lounge either? That's just wrong.

The other thing that bugs me about the alleged changes is that many connecting regional trains don't have a sleeper class. Someone may want to take sleepers all the way, & would be willing to pay for it (and lounge access), but Amtrak doesn't offer it so they can't use the lounge either? That's just wrong.
yes and one of the trains I take regularly JUST started offering business class in the past 6 months. So there was no option there even if you wanted it!

Absolutely agree about sleepers. a perfect example (not Chicago but Washington) is Chicago to NYP on the Cap Limited in a sleeper. You would connect in Washington to NYP via a NER train. I understand the issue of BC only trips, but sleepers would be ridiculous.

Absolutely agree about sleepers. a perfect example (not Chicago but Washington) is Chicago to NYP on the Cap Limited in a sleeper. You would connect in Washington to NYP via a NER train. I understand the issue of BC only trips, but sleepers would be ridiculous.
I was thinking of all the Illionis Service & Michigan Service trains, as well as the Hoosier State. Most (if not all) of those trains are scheduled to be connecting trains to the LD network (aside from being day trains to Chicago). I really hope they rethink this.

I was thinking of all the Illionis Service & Michigan Service trains, as well as the Hoosier State. Most (if not all) of those trains are scheduled to be connecting trains to the LD network (aside from being day trains to Chicago). I really hope they rethink this.
They will not if they don't get any feedback on the situation. Maybe NARP can chime in. Jis and other board members?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not a NARP Board Member. Just a mere Council Member.

As I have said before Amtrak seems to be bucking the trend in denying lounge access to upper class arriving passengers. An issue that I will be willing to raise at NARP.

In general the airline that I am familiar with, seem to give you lounge access based on class of travel only for international upper class, and that access is given both at the departing and the arriving end. Very few, if any, domestic passengers get class of travel based lounge access absent a specific membership of some sort. Since I am already a member, I do not have good understanding or experience of the finer nuances of who can and cannot get into the lounges without member ship while on a domestic itinerary.

May I reiterate that the situation in Chicago is very different from that of any of the NEC stations with lounges?

A large amount of the entire Amtrak system's sleeper passengers are compelled by Amtrak's routing and train endpoints to take a layover in Chicago. ALL of those passengers, whatever train they're transferring to, ought to have access to a reasonably comfortable place to wait for their next train. Seems like a very minimal measure to ensure happy repeat customers--especially since the new lounge has considerably more space than the existing lounge to which ALL sleeper passengers currently have access.

I am not a NARP Board Member. Just a mere Council Member.

As I have said before Amtrak seems to be bucking the trend in denying lounge access to upper class arriving passengers. An issue that I will be willing to raise at NARP.

In general the airline that I am familiar with, seem to give you lounge access based on class of travel only for international upper class, and that access is given both at the departing and the arriving end. Very few, if any, domestic passengers get class of travel based lounge access absent a specific membership of some sort. Since I am already a member, I do not have good understanding or experience of the finer nuances of who can and cannot get into the lounges without member ship while on a domestic itinerary.
Just FYI, Alaska gives lounge access to domestic First Class passengers on a paid First Class ticket. Discounted First Class tickets (P class?) qualify, upgrades and award tickets don't. Also American gives Flagship Lounge access to First Class passengers on 3 class transcontinental flights, including those who are on award tickets, same as their International First Class policies.

1. Isn't the Legacy Lounge in Chicago designed to deal with the problem being discussed? If Metro Lounge access is denied to sleeper PAX on arrival in Chicago (I agree it shouldn't be!!) when connecting to a non-sleeper, wouldn't going to the Legacy Lounge be an alternative? There is a daily use fee, of course, but the savings comes with the purchase of your coach ticket for the connecting train. I don't like this, but it's there, and the Legacy Lounge seems quite nice.

2. My understanding is that the Metro Lounge was not just upgraded but moved in CUS precisely so that the space vacated could be added to the existing coach waiting area, and then the enlarged space will be renovated. I think big improvements are due for the coach waiting area in CUS as the next phase of the renovations get underway. As a waiting area it may graduate from being Hell to Purgatory, although it may even end up better than that.

1. Isn't the Legacy Lounge in Chicago designed to deal with the problem being discussed? If Metro Lounge access is denied to sleeper PAX on arrival in Chicago (I agree it shouldn't be!!) when connecting to a non-sleeper, wouldn't going to the Legacy Lounge be an alternative? There is a daily use fee, of course, but the savings comes with the purchase of your coach ticket for the connecting train. I don't like this, but it's there, and the Legacy Lounge seems quite nice.

2. My understanding is that the Metro Lounge was not just upgraded but moved in CUS precisely so that the space vacated could be added to the existing coach waiting area, and then the enlarged space will be renovated. I think big improvements are due for the coach waiting area in CUS as the next phase of the renovations get underway. As a waiting area it may graduate from being Hell to Purgatory, although it may even end up better than that.
I think you are spot on with your points Manny, especially #2.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm coming in from Maine (via Boston) on the LSL and heading home in coach on the Pere Marquette in August and will have the Legacy lounge as a contingency plan if I am refused at the ML. I depart to the East Coast on the Cardinal after riding coach in from Michigan so that seems that the ML shouldn't be a problem. I'll actually ask the attendant during my layover on the way out, what is suggested to do on the return trip.

I was just in the lounge and the woman at the front desk who gathered us to walk to the train (Capitol Ltd - on board waiting for departure) said it would be opening in June. She also said if you arrive in Chicago on a sleeper but are leaving in coach you will NOT be able to use the lounge unless you are otherwise qualified to enter.
Yes I heard them say that too and it was said with emphasis.
Hopefully either (a) this rumor is false or (b) they will reverse this, because this is an ass-backwards stupid idea.

Consider a passenger coming in on the California Zephyr from San Francisco who has to wait for the Pere Marquette to Grand Rapids. Amtrak wants this passenger out of the way of the coach passengers, not squatting in the main waiting room for hours getting frustrated with Amtrak's jerk-like behavior.

Anyone who has an "in" with Amtrak should make it very clear to Amtrak that the Chicago Metropolitan Lounge needs to be available for anyone connecting from a sleeper ticket to a train which doesn't have sleepers. The same would apply at New York if New York *had* any decent connections, but all the connections to trains like the Maple Leaf and Adirondack are overnight. :p

I was just in the lounge and the woman at the front desk who gathered us to walk to the train (Capitol Ltd - on board waiting for departure) said it would be opening in June. She also said if you arrive in Chicago on a sleeper but are leaving in coach you will NOT be able to use the lounge unless you are otherwise qualified to enter.
Yes I heard them say that too and it was said with emphasis.
Hopefully either (a) this rumor is false or (b) they will reverse this, because this is an ass-backwards stupid idea.

Consider a passenger coming in on the California Zephyr from San Francisco who has to wait for the Pere Marquette to Grand Rapids. Amtrak wants this passenger out of the way of the coach passengers, not squatting in the main waiting room for hours getting frustrated with Amtrak's jerk-like behavior.
That lounge is so bad.....I wouldn't even know where to start with my complaints about waiting for a PM coach. I've not booked coach primarily because of what a joke utilizing that lounge is, since the PM started offering b/c, except for my next LD trip.

To and from the silvers, the crescent, and the lake shore are pretty common.
From New Haven or Boston, you mean? Yeah, I guess those connections work. Though they can be made further south, too.
I was thinking of the connections from the Southern-bound trains to the Empire Corridor routes, which are all very poorly scheduled.

same here - been riding the pere marquette for over 10 years and was SO thrilled when they began offering business class. When I started taking that train it was on Friday afternoons and OMG it could not be a worse situation, and even worse by the behavior of the gate agents. At least now with Bus Class it is a less aggravating day! (plus I don't travel on friday afternoons anymore which also helps!). I do strictly business class now on all 3 michigan trains. It's worth it!

What woild be the business case that could made to spend lots of money to provide a perk that would likely have little effect on NEC market share? Who makes up the B/C cohort, and are they likely to be at the station for an extended period of time before or after their trip, and would this additional perk increase B/C take rate or allow fares to increase to the point that the added costs are covered? If not, why would you do it Some of the stations share services with other carriers, they may not have the extra room available in a practical location. I'm not sure Amtrak owns Stamford, It might be CT or MNRR.
Northeast Corridor fares are high enough that most people who are regular riders can easily qualify for Select Plus, and thus get entry to the lounge. Heck, I qualify for Select Plus on the basis of a couple of WAS-BAL trips per week, plus a few long-distance rides. Somebody who makes a weekly round trip between Washington and New York would definitely have no trouble qualifying, even if they rode Regional coach.

In fact, the crowd in the lounge I see waiting for the Acela before my Regional is usually much larger than the capacity of the first class car, which means that most people using the lounge are regular business class Acela riders.

I'm not sure I see a benefit for having a lounge in the smaller stations, because, in my mind, the main benefit for the lounge is the preboarding and avoiding the long cattle lines and general crowded conditions at NYP, PHL, BOS, and WAS. Baltimore, for example, is usually not particularly crowded, and you can get to the platform long before the train arrives, so it's not like there's any sort of pre-boarding benefit.

Yeah, what if you're traveling between, say, Milwaukee, and, say, Grand Rapids? You have to connect through Chicago. Neither of those trains has business class. I guess you're stuck with an uncomfortable wait.

Yeah, what if you're traveling between, say, Milwaukee, and, say, Grand Rapids? You have to connect through Chicago. Neither of those trains has business class. I guess you're stuck with an uncomfortable wait.
there is business class CHI to Grand Rapids now on the Pere Marquette, but yes that's just been added in the past year.

same here - been riding the pere marquette for over 10 years and was SO thrilled when they began offering business class. When I started taking that train it was on Friday afternoons and OMG it could not be a worse situation, and even worse by the behavior of the gate agents. At least now with Bus Class it is a less aggravating day! (plus I don't travel on friday afternoons anymore which also helps!). I do strictly business class now on all 3 michigan trains. It's worth it!
In earlier days on the PM and on LD trains where I don't know the destination station I use a walker since I cannot walk long distances or stand for long periods of time. I felt like one of the "lucky" ones in that lounge because I could just go to the front of the line, park my walker and sit on my seat until they opened the disabled and elderly lounge. I never thought I'd say that I feel fortunate to have physical problems, but that's one of the few cases I am. Now with the new b/c on the PM, I don't have to bring my walker to CHI for short jaunts. I just head to the ML when I'm ready to head back and it's all good. I have no problem with stairs on the train, so it makes no difference to me whether b/c is single or bi-level (although single level does limit the walking aboard train and stairs a bit).

Last edited by a moderator:
We were in the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago last week seeing a friend off who was going home to Boston -- and one of the managers we know -- Susie -- was telling everyone boarding the Lake Shore Limited that, yes, in order to wait in the new lounge after June 13th, one must be going out on a sleeping car ticket or business class or be Select Plus/Select Executive with Amtrak Guest Rewards.

I am not sure why they are making the change now -- as the new lounge is about 4 times bigger than the old lounge!!?? It can't be for space considerations.

I think this new change is kind of crappy given what one pays for a bedroom. On March 1, 2017, we will lose our Select Plus status that I have held now for 11 years with the elimination of the 100 point minimums under AGR2.0. So, if I drop $1700.00 on a big bedroom to go from LAX to CHI... and I'm connecting to the Hiawatha... I won't be able to have lounge access to wait in for 2 hours for the Hiawatha now?? UGH! SERIOUSLY? I'm sorry -- you popped for $1,700 -- you should be able to wait in the lounge to connect to the Hiawatha or a train where you can't get business class on.

My guess is they are doing it to push people to pay the $20 a pop for the new "Legacy Lounge" area.

We were in the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago last week seeing a friend off who was going home to Boston -- and one of the managers we know -- Susie -- was telling everyone boarding the Lake Shore Limited that, yes, in order to wait in the new lounge after June 13th, one must be going out on a sleeping car ticket or business class or be Select Plus/Select Executive with Amtrak Guest Rewards.

I am not sure why they are making the change now -- as the new lounge is about 4 times bigger than the old lounge!!?? It can't be for space considerations.

I think this new change is kind of crappy given what one pays for a bedroom. On March 1, 2017, we will lose our Select Plus status that I have held now for 11 years with the elimination of the 100 point minimums under AGR2.0. So, if I drop $1700.00 on a big bedroom to go from LAX to CHI... and I'm connecting to the Hiawatha... I won't be able to have lounge access to wait in for 2 hours for the Hiawatha now?? UGH! SERIOUSLY? I'm sorry -- you popped for $1,700 -- you should be able to wait in the lounge to connect to the Hiawatha or a train where you can't get business class on.

My guess is they are doing it to push people to pay the $20 a pop for the new "Legacy Lounge" area.
screw the Legacy lounge for $20...you just paid $1700...I say people should start writing in complaining NOW!

OK, who has a way to contact Amtrak management? It seems to be general opinion that this change is both stupid and counterproductive, particularly when so many trains out of Chicago *don't* have business class. If they add business class to every train, then I guess it might be OK.

OK, who has a way to contact Amtrak management? It seems to be general opinion that this change is both stupid and counterproductive, particularly when so many trains out of Chicago *don't* have business class. If they add business class to every train, then I guess it might be OK.
The only coach-only Amtrak trains out of Chicago that I know of are the Hiawathas...

It's one thing if Amtrak wanted to kick out arriving sleeper/BC passengers that are connecting to non-Amtrak services, this one is just counterproductive given Chicago's hub nature.

Call Amtrak's number then ask for customer service.

We know what the policy is going to be. Who knows the rationale for such? I don't think I've seen it anywhere.

Back