Chicago Metropolitan Lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it sounds awesome! I too was wondering how you would get from the lounge to the train - do you know more specifically where that door goes to in the South Concourse? I am a weekly Business Class rider out of CUS so the new lounge PLUS pretty easy access sounds great! Did they show separate sections I had heard about for families, etc.?

I too was wondering how you would get from the lounge to the train - do you know more specifically where that door goes to in the South Concourse?
I am assuming that procedure would stay the same, i.e. gathering by the exit door and being led to the SC and to the train.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was curious about the path to take passengers to the track and the door they will use empties right out into the south concourse. He mentioned that he thinks they'll be able to operationally change the Empire Builder to leaving on the thru track so it could also board form the south concourse.
Is that a change? :huh: Each time I've departed on the EB, it was on the thru track. Each time I arrived on the EB, it was on the thru track also.
Or was I just lucky?

Every time I've ridden it it was on the through track as well. Maybe they are talking about spotting it on the south side instead of the north side. If they did that the sleepers would be closer too (first cars you get to instead of the last).

Every time I've ridden it it was on the through track as well. Maybe they are talking about spotting it on the south side instead of the north side. If they did that the sleepers would be closer too (first cars you get to instead of the last).
Ahem, if you're going to Seattle, that is. The Portland sleeper is at the end - which my wife appreciated, I might add.

The attendant at the desk just told me that June 13 is moving day.
My tour guide said late June with a soft opening.
I think it's strange that in a span of 5 days people have heard opening dates of anywhere from 5 days to several weeks from now.
Wasn't even 5 days in my case. I forgot to mention that when I checked in to the Met Lounge the lady there was happily telling everyone that the new lounge was opening on June 13th, and she sounded very sure. But then I got the late June date during my little tour from someone more in charge, only about an hour after I heard June 13th.

While I was in there having a beer an Amtrak employee came up and said hi, introduced himself as the Director of (I think he said Hospitality, but I could remember wrong). I mentioned I was traveling by sleeper on points but decided to hang in the Legacy Club and then he invited me to take a tour of the new Met Lounge.
Was it Paul Sanders? He is a great guy.
I wish I could remember. I was off the internet my entire 5-day trip so didn't write about it right after it happened. Plus I was geeking out about getting the tour. And I was on my third beer.

I'd remember him if I saw him.

it sounds awesome! I too was wondering how you would get from the lounge to the train - do you know more specifically where that door goes to in the South Concourse? I am a weekly Business Class rider out of CUS so the new lounge PLUS pretty easy access sounds great! Did they show separate sections I had heard about for families, etc.?
I didn't get to see the door open so I didn't see to the other side. He just told me south concourse.

But based on where the door was located I think it will open up on the hallway across from the baggage claim. But that's a somewhat educated guess.

And yeah, the separate sections were very clear, even though the layout is fairly open. The furniture that was there was still wrapped though so I didn't get to see what it would look like. Some of the business section had furniture set up. Like the long high table with the data ports.

Yeah, I know that's Paul, hopefully it jogs Deni's memory :)

You can join the group and see his picture, I don't think it appropriate to pull a picture out of a closed group and put it here. ;)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AmtrakFansGroup/

Awesome! Very cool guy, it seems. Very motivated about Amtrak and the work that they're doing there. I nominate him for Boardman's job. :D

I happened to see today's #7 spotted for boarding. Head end was only at Monroe St. which puts the SEA sleepers opposite the current ML and the PDX cars south of the main terminal.

The attendant at the desk just told me that June 13 is moving day.
My tour guide said late June with a soft opening.
I think it's strange that in a span of 5 days people have heard opening dates of anywhere from 5 days to several weeks from now.
Wasn't even 5 days in my case. I forgot to mention that when I checked in to the Met Lounge the lady there was happily telling everyone that the new lounge was opening on June 13th, and she sounded very sure. But then I got the late June date during my little tour from someone more in charge, only about an hour after I heard June 13th.
That's actually not uncommon; I'm involved with a public construction project currently and it's amazing the amount of misinformation that's bandied about, even by the people "in charge" and who should otherwise know what's going on. Deadlines often change weekly or even daily, depending on what issues are developing with particular subcontractors. It only takes one subcontractor to be off in their game (or in some cases, just not show up to perform their job) to delay the entire project. In the case of CML, that's not even taking into the consideration that it's Chicago and there are probably a few more layers of involvement (such as unions) to deal with.

On the plus side, if the furniture has arrived, that's a sure sign that it will be ready to open sooner rather than later. Fixtures, furnishings, and equipment are one of the biggest areas to delay a construction project completion date. Often the general contractor will think of it as a minor detail, since they are concerned with 'important' things like floors & walls and the HVAC system, but if you don't have the details ready to go, the project ain't complete. In any case, I would pay far more attention to the opening date given to you by the tour guide than any staff member who has been told fourth-hand information that was only really current as of last week.

Well, I will hopefully arrive at Chicago's Union Station on Friday June 17th after taking my first trip on the Empire Builder from Seattle to connect onto the Lake Shore Limited. Sounds like there is a small chance the new lounge will be open, but I may wind up making one last stop at the old Metropolitan Lounge. By the way, I have always appreciated having the Metropolitan Lounge on my connections back and forth from the California Zephyr and Lake Shore Limited over the years. It was great to have a place to have a snack, check my e-mail and have a soda or coffee, etc. When I have walked by the coach waiting area it has always been very crowded. I can't wait to see the new lounge, it sounds like its going to be world class!

I've been in this beautiful Lounge a few times and I've never experienced any 'nasty women' working there. Everyone that I've the pleasure of interacting with has been professional and helpful. Last month there was this very kind gentleman and he was very helpful. In general, I find the staff at these Lounges (I've also been to NYC and Washington, DC) always very helpful and kind.

When I was there in May there was a sign with an announcement saying something like "New Lounge opening Summer 2016".

Dumb question about the meaning and context of the word ' legacy ' as used on this forum "Legacy Lounge, Legacy Club and I think Legacy car".

Can someone explain how and why it's used in the Amtrak context please as I can't tie it in to Brit English.

Thanks

Dumb question about the meaning and context of the word ' legacy ' as used on this forum "Legacy Lounge, Legacy Club and I think Legacy car".

Can someone explain how and why it's used in the Amtrak context please as I can't tie it in to Brit English.
My interpretation is that it's related to this definition of the word "legacy":

Something transmitted by or received from an ancestor or predecessor or from the past (e.g., the legacy of the ancient philosophers)
I believe the sense in which they're using it is to suggest that it reflects the luxury surroundings and luxury service levels that people imagine to have been representative of the way things were in the past.

In the Metropolitan Lounge now. Susie, the attendant, told us the new lounge will open the 27th. And also confirmed the rumor that passengers arriving in sleepers and leaving in coach will not have access to the lounge. I guess a business class ticket will make it worth it.

In the Metropolitan Lounge now. Susie, the attendant, told us the new lounge will open the 27th. And also confirmed the rumor that passengers arriving in sleepers and leaving in coach will not have access to the lounge. I guess a business class ticket will make it worth it.
I really hope it's the 27th, but that's like the fourth different date we've heard now. I guess I'll believe it when it's really open...

Back