Chicago Lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonVG

Train Attendant
In June I am going to take the Southwest Chief from CHI to LAX in a roomette. Since I have never been in the lounge in Chicago, how does it all work, what is it like, and how do you get boarded.

When you get to the station you walk into the lounge and show your ticket(s) to the agents sitting behind the desk. They'll give you a colored card with your train number on it, as well as the time you need to return to the lounge written on it. Should you decide to leave the lounge, when you return, you just flash that card to the agents behind the desk. Make sure that they see it, or they'll be all over you otherwise.

In the lounge you'll find a soda machine, coffee, and some snack. There is also a single computer terminal that you can use, as well as free WiFi if you have a way of connecting to that. There are nice clean bathrooms also within the lounge. There are a couple of TV screens, most often tuned to the news and overstuffed chairs to relax in. There is also a small room manned by a redcap where you can day check you carry-on's if you do want to wander around the city or head into the station for a bit of lunch, since you won't get lunch on the train.

When boarding time arrives, they'll make a couple of announcements and then take you out the back door of the lounge, by passing the coach waiting area entirely, and lead you directly to your train.

i think the metropolitan lounge opens at 9am. you go in and show your sleeper ticket. the attendant will give you a card telling you when to be there for your train if you want to leave your bags and come back. otherwise, there are comfotable chairs (sometimes not enough for everyone) and complimentary coffee, tea, juice and soft drinks. you board from the lounge

When you get to the station you walk into the lounge and show your ticket(s) to the agents sitting behind the desk. They'll give you a colored card with your train number on it, as well as the time you need to return to the lounge written on it. Should you decide to leave the lounge, when you return, you just flash that card to the agents behind the desk. Make sure that they see it, or they'll be all over you otherwise.
In the lounge you'll find a soda machine, coffee, and some snack. There is also a single computer terminal that you can use, as well as free WiFi if you have a way of connecting to that. There are nice clean bathrooms also within the lounge. There are a couple of TV screens, most often tuned to the news and overstuffed chairs to relax in. There is also a small room manned by a redcap where you can day check you carry-on's if you do want to wander around the city or head into the station for a bit of lunch, since you won't get lunch on the train.

When boarding time arrives, they'll make a couple of announcements and then take you out the back door of the lounge, by passing the coach waiting area entirely, and lead you directly to your train.
Thanks Alan this really helps

In June I am going to take the Southwest Chief from CHI to LAX in a roomette. Since I have never been in the lounge in Chicago, how does it all work, what is it like, and how do you get boarded.
Jason,

I will also be taking the Southwest Chief from CHI to LAX this June and it will be my third trip westward on it. I know others are preparing to respond to you and I'm sure will give you excellent description of what you ask. So with that in mind I will just provide you a link to a diagram (on pg2) of the Union Station:

http://www.chicagounionstation.com/graphic...hi_brochure.pdf

You will find the lounge on the right side of the diagram and the track at the bottom below the lounge are the tracks where the SWC will be. Enjoy!

When you get into CHI, go directly to the Metropolitan Lounge. It is more quiet and comfortable to wait there instead of the main waiting room. You can also leave your bags in a staffed secure room for free (tips to the Red Cap welcome) while you explore Chicago, if you want. You board directly from the Lounge to the train, ahead of the rest of the passengers in the main waiting room.

I like to add that I will be arriving into Chicago on 371 from Grand Rapids. This is also my first long distance Amtrak Trip alone (I am only 17).
I noticed that your SWC departure date from Chicago is 12 days before mine and with that it is very possible that you will have the same train set and service crew that I will. Being that there is a good chance that I just might wind up on the same sleeper car, please do me a favor and don't make a mess of your sleeper, :eek: drive your service attendant nuts :wacko: and leave me with a burned out grumpy attendant when it's my turn to depart! :unsure: :lol:

I like to add that I will be arriving into Chicago on 371 from Grand Rapids. This is also my first long distance Amtrak Trip alone (I am only 17).
I noticed that your SWC departure date from Chicago is 12 days before mine and with that it is very possible that you will have the same train set and service crew that I will. Being that there is a good chance that I just might wind up on the same sleeper car, please do me a favor and don't make a mess of your sleeper, :eek: drive your service attendant nuts :wacko: and leave me with a burned out grumpy attendant when it's my turn to depart! :unsure: :lol:
No problem, I'll behave ;)

Right answer! Now I won't have to call Amtrak and warn them about you! :p

I won't! :lol:

I have only been on that train once (last summer) but there were a ton of Boy Scouts riding from Chicago to Raton. So you will have a lot of boys that may be about the same age as you. Hope you have a great time!

The Boy Scouts went coach but spent most of their time in the Lounge car/snack bar.

Enjoy!

Dan

I know you can use the lounge with a sleeper ticket either arriving or leaving. What if you are leaving on coach but are switching to a sleeper during the trip somewhere?

I know you can use the lounge with a sleeper ticket either arriving or leaving. What if you are leaving on coach but are switching to a sleeper during the trip somewhere?
I don't think you can use the lounge then. But you could ask, and they may say yes!
I think I've heard others say that if you have a sleeper for part of the trip during that same day, no matter where it is in the itinerary, you can use the lounge.

AlanB will know.

I don't think you can use the lounge then. But you could ask, and they may say yes!
I think I've heard others say that if you have a sleeper for part of the trip during that same day, no matter where it is in the itinerary, you can use the lounge.

AlanB will know.
Now that I think about it, you're right! I mis-interpreted the question as if say leaving out of CHI on the TE in coach for the CHI-DAL segment, and then switching to a sleeper for DAL-ELP.

AlanB will know.
Well I think that we need to be clear just what you mean by switching Rile42. I'm not sure what would happen if for example you were departing NY on the Silver Star in coach, but switching to a sleeper when the train reached Richmond. In theory you should still be entitled to use the lounge in that case, but I'm not sure just how receptive the agent might be to such a scenario and I've never heard of someone doing that.

However, if for example you're departing from Philly to Chicago, and either switching to a sleeper in DC, NY, or Pittsburgh, then you would be entitled to use the lounge in Philly, as well as in NY or DC if you went through those cities and you should have no problems doing so either.

Last edited by a moderator:
When is Los Angeles going to get a lounge like this? You would think they would be on top of something like this.
Stations with lounges have many more trains per day than LA does. There are close to 60 trains a day in and out of Chicago. Granted, they aren't all LD trains with sleeper service which would qualify folks for lounge use, but many come in on a non-sleeper train and transfer to a LD train. LA has 4 LD trains a day and one three days a week.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

When is Los Angeles going to get a lounge like this? You would think they would be on top of something like this.
Stations with lounges have many more trains per day than LA does. There are close to 60 trains a day in and out of Chicago. Granted, they aren't all LD trains with sleeper service which would qualify folks for lounge use, but many come in on a non-sleeper train and transfer to a LD train. LA has 4 LD trains a day and one three days a week.

Just my thoughts on the subject.
LA still has many more trains per day than say Portland, or even Miami which only sees two departures per day. So I'd say that LA is definately qualified to have a lounge. The problem is space find space for a lounge, especially in a station that Amtrak doesn't own. It would probably also mean a higher rent for Amtrak.

The Surfliners feed a lot of pax to the LD trains but the problem is probably finding a big enough space to hold everyone for each LD train. NOL is a prime example; anything over 12-15 people and things start feeling crowded. Rent in LA is astonomical and probably would break someone at Amtrak's budget. It certainly is needed but finding the right person to implement a waiting area is probably harder than finding the equipment to run the Sunset east of NOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back