Celebratory Phase 3 comeback?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, I would like to know the marketing company that thought having the engines livery not blend with the car livery is weird. And no, having a red stripe at the bottom does not cut it, wow how we have fallen from the phase III days.

It will be interesting to see what livery the new cars will deliveried with. I imagine they will be be bare aluminum like the Acela pax cars. At least then Amtrak trains will have a cohesive look again.

Am I the only one who likes the "three sheets to the wind" or whatever the current logo is called better than the old pointless arrow? IMO, anything that differentiates Amtrak from the US government can only be a good thing. Beside, I find simple stripes to be awfully boring...
No, you are not the only one.
Not the only one by a long shot. While I really like the "pointless arrow", I think the "three sheets to the wind" is a better logo. Agree that the name "AMTRAK" should be more prominent on the rolling stock, after all it is "free advertising". Anywhere/anything that Amtrak owns, bridge overpasses, wayside structures, etc., I'd splash the name on it, as long as it isn't apt to be painted by taggers.

Every vehicle, laptop, 3-ring binder, truck, employee bicycle, even tattoos on employee's heads. Oh, I've gone to far, again, haven't I? (**slinks away in shame.......again**)

Seriously, I like the new logo, but agree there should be more of it, along with the name. The throwback pain scheme is a great idea, now if we can just coax one of the E's and GG1's back on the rails.........

Wish I had caught this thread sooner. I also thought it was common knowledge, but I guess not. Here's the lowdown:

A 40th Anniversary Museum train is being assembled for a one year nationwide tour that kicks off on Train Day 2011. The engines and cars are being painted in a variant of the Phase III design we all know and love, complete with the pointless arrow. This does NOT signify a complete fleet-wide livery change.

-Rafi

I like the pointless arrow better than the three sheets to the wind logo. That said, I think one of the reasons I like it better is because it was larger and easy to see. As for the paint scheme in general--I thought the red, white and blue stripes were a little brighter and looked better on the equipment than the blue motif that I see a lot these days. Especially when the equipment was dusty or dirty.

Maybe Amtrak should brighten up the colors a little in the current paint scheme / logo, give it a little splash of color. Combine the current with the past and maybe you'd have something cool.

I like the current livery and logo. The older liveries just look a little garish to me.

I do like the idea of painting a handful of trains with older liveries, much like the heritage designs that UP does for some of the former railroads it acquired.

Do you think Amtrak would be willing to do an homage to the old rainbow consists? That would be fun.

A 40th Anniversary Museum train is being assembled for a one year nationwide tour that kicks off on Train Day 2011. The engines and cars are being painted in a variant of the Phase III design we all know and love, complete with the pointless arrow. This does NOT signify a complete fleet-wide livery change.
What cars? Superliners? Amfleets? I hope it's something that can fit into NYP!

Do an Acela in Phase III, that'll turn some heads. I think you could feasibly do an NPCU in Phase II, it's still sorta an F-40, right?

What cars? Superliners? Amfleets? I hope it's something that can fit into NYP!
It's going to be mostly converted baggage cars from what I've heard. Perhaps a few Amfleets and a sleeper for crew, but that's just a guess.

Rafi

Official word:

On May 1, 2011, Amtrak will kick off a year-long celebration honoring 40 years as America’s Railroad. For the past several months, a small dedicated group of employees has been organizing a wide range of activities that will touch every part of the system to mark this seminal event. The kick-off celebration will take place in May with National Train Day and Employee Appreciation Day, and will continue through May 2012. “All our employees — past and present — will be proud that most of the work is being done in-house,” said Vice President of Government Affairs and Corporate Communications Joe McHugh. “And why not? In addition to help us keep costs down, who better to tell our story and the promise of our future than the Amtrak family.” The company is currently compiling a commemorative book, Amtrak: An American Story, on the company’s history and its plans for the future. The book will feature photos and employee stories depicting Amtrak’s first 40 years. It will also contain a section dedicated to “A Day in the Life of Amtrak” comprised of many of the more than 2,000 photos submitted by Amtrak employees depicting 24 hours in the life of our company. In addition, an Emmy award-winning producer is working on a documentary illustrating the history of Amtrak and the importance of Amtrak to this country. Both of these items will be available for purchase. Concurrent with this work, Beech Grove is renovating surplus equipment and restoring one F-40, one P-40, three baggage cars, and an Amfleet food service car for a special 40th anniversary “museum train” that will travel across the country to many employee locations. The baggage cars will be turned into museum cars that will display exhibits of historic advertising, uniforms, photographs and other items of interest. The food service car will serve as a combination retail center and rotating exhibit space. Four locomotives are also being repainted in historic colors to mark the event. In recognition of employees past and present, the company is producing a video focused on the people who have helped make Amtrak America’s Railroad. The video will be made available to all employees. After the new year, and leading up to the start of the celebration, look for additional updates and details of anniversary events in various locations. Thanks for 40 great years!
Bolding by me.

Quoting Amtrak Ink, December 2010/January 2011. Looks like Amtrak is going all-out with their 40th, I wonder what they will do in 2021 with their 50th anniversary!

I wonder what they will do in 2021 with their 50th anniversary!
Don't be too presumptuous that there will be one. We've won the previous battles to keep Amtrak. Now we have these tea party freakazoids to contend with. They aren't logical, reasonable, or even sane. They want a small government, and that means no national railroad, no highways, no education system, and so on. Never happen? Probably not, no. But that assumes the sane people still around yell and scream and remind the world in general that they don't need to be voted into office so much as straight jackets.

the P40 is out of the shops:

DSCF8050.jpg

peter

That's a P42, not a P40. The P40 that will have the paint scheme is #822.

There is a guy in another forum who is saying Amtrak is making 5 P40/P42s in this celebratory phase III. Anyone know anything about it?

peter

Wow. I really like that color scheme.

And the photographer really got a wonderful shot with the sun coming under the body of the loco. Fantastic, really fantastic.

Good find!

That looks awesome.
Yes, awesome is the word. It almost brought my father to tears, as his favorite Amtrak engine is the F-40.

I'm wondering if they can combine this with a Phase II (the main difference is the width of the middle white stripe) and 'update' it for the next paint scheme that will be used on the whole fleet, whenever that day shall come.

The best improvement with #145 is Amtrak's name is the way it needs to be: bold sized, proud, indicative of an organization that is confident and knows what it's doing, and the right amount of garishness.

I gotta say, I do like the "new" paint scheme. Much as I like the current Phase V, I don't think I would mind if Amtrak standardized to this "new" paint scheme. Of course, the cars would need to match, but it's certainly not bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back