Canadian Currency

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainut

Train Attendant
My wife and I are going to Vancouver, BC Canada, (MSP, SEA, to VAC.) Does anyone know if there is a currency exchange in the King Street station in SEA and or what the hours are. Or are there other ways to do this?

The train doesn't get into VAC until 10:50 PM and I would like to have Canadian Currency for taxi fare and tips.

I have tried my local banks, but they don't provide this service, any suggestions?

Thanks, Trainut

Wait, so you are telling me Canada has a different currency? Isn't it a state of USA anymore?
unsure.gif

My wife and I are going to Vancouver, BC Canada, (MSP, SEA, to VAC.) Does anyone know if there is a currency exchange in the King Street station in SEA and or what the hours are. Or are there other ways to do this?

The train doesn't get into VAC until 10:50 PM and I would like to have Canadian Currency for taxi fare and tips.

I have tried my local banks, but they don't provide this service, any suggestions?

Thanks, Trainut
Back when I used to live in Seattle (about 3 blocks from King Street Station), the only currency exchange around was in Westlake Center, on the top floor. It is relatively easy to get to (go to the International District Station next door and take any bus to Westlake Station, or alternatively go to 3rd Avenue, 4th Avenue, or Jackson Street, and take any bus to Pine Street), but there might be banks near King Street Station that do it too.

Realistically, what most people do these days when they travel to a foreign country is just hit an ATM immediately after arriving. You invariably get a better rate this way, and in Canada at least, ATMs are available 24/7.

They don't? That's part of the service that banks provide! :wacko:

It sounds like you're taking the EB right to SEA and then the later Cascade up. During the layover, you can visit one of the SEA banks to get some Canadian currency!

I live in Michigan and my bank stopped carrying Canadian currency several years ago - if you want it you have to order it in advance and pay a fee for it.

When we went to VAC last year the cabs took USD and our hotel exchanged at 1:1 for no charge. We got some for the attractions in the park, but they took USD too. Really didn't need it at all.

I agree the ATM is the best way, and you get an up to the second exchange rate.

In general, I've found that a good number of Canadian stores (particularly in the touristy areas) will take US currency. Last year when I visited Montreal, the Metro subway agent gave me $20CDN in exchange for a US $20 bill, because, strangely enough, their subway ticket vending machines were unable to process a US credit card (go figure).

In the past, I was generally able to hit an ATM and get some cash, but lately, I have not been able to do that, nor have I been able to figure out why. No matter what card/account I try to use, or which ATM I visit, I've been getting error messages. (What do you mean I actually have to have money in the account in order to make a withdrawal?) Hopefully I'll eventually figure out what the problem is so I can actually have cash on me when I travel up there.

Or maybe I should just open a Canadian bank account and be done with it.

There is a currency exchange in the Vancouver station, but I am not sure whether or not it is open when 516 gets in. There is also an ATM in the station, but has high fees. A better ATM is the VanCity ATM across Main Street. VanCity imposes no fees of its own (your bank still may). It is basically on the other side of the SkyTrain station from Pacific Central station. Head for the SkyTrain station, cross Main Street and continue walking to the other end of the SkyTrain station. The VanCity ATM is right there.

While taxis often take USD, the SkyTrain does not, although the ticket machines do accept credit cards.

In general, I've found that a good number of Canadian stores (particularly in the touristy areas) will take US currency. Last year when I visited Montreal, the Metro subway agent gave me $20CDN in exchange for a US $20 bill, because, strangely enough, their subway ticket vending machines were unable to process a US credit card (go figure).

In the past, I was generally able to hit an ATM and get some cash, but lately, I have not been able to do that, nor have I been able to figure out why. No matter what card/account I try to use, or which ATM I visit, I've been getting error messages. (What do you mean I actually have to have money in the account in order to make a withdrawal?) Hopefully I'll eventually figure out what the problem is so I can actually have cash on me when I travel up there.

Or maybe I should just open a Canadian bank account and be done with it.
Do you let your bank/credit card company know you're going to be out of the country? A lot of financial institutions block out of country use because of all the fraud unless you specifically tell them you're going to be out of the country.

Wait, so you are telling me Canada has a different currency? Isn't it a state of USA anymore?
unsure.gif
Worse than that, up here in Canukistan, our dollar is now worth slightly more than yours. Good for my trips on the LSL / CONO, though.

Gord

And remember......our smallest bill is a five.......then it's coins: toonies, loonies, quarters, dimes, nickles & pennies.

There is a currency exchange in the Vancouver station, but I am not sure whether or not it is open when 516 gets in. There is also an ATM in the station, but has high fees. A better ATM is the VanCity ATM across Main Street. VanCity imposes no fees of its own (your bank still may). It is basically on the other side of the SkyTrain station from Pacific Central station. Head for the SkyTrain station, cross Main Street and continue walking to the other end of the SkyTrain station. The VanCity ATM is right there.

While taxis often take USD, the SkyTrain does not, although the ticket machines do accept credit cards.
zephyr17 has described what I generally do. I find that I don't really need much cash while in Vancouver. Note, however, that there are a fair number of places (fast-food restaurants and the like) that only take MasterCard, not Visa or Amex. They're marked with signs that say "PayPass."

And remember......our smallest bill is a five.......then it's coins: toonies, loonies, quarters, dimes, nickles & pennies.
Correction……the Governments new budget last week announced the elimination of the penny as of this summer but it will be awhile before they are totally out of circulation. At the cash register, if it's 1 or 2 cents over it will be rounded down…..3 or 4 cents, rounded up to 5 cents..

Correction……the Governments new budget last week announced the elimination of the penny as of this summer but it will be awhile before they are totally out of circulation. At the cash register, if it's 1 or 2 cents over it will be rounded down…..3 or 4 cents, rounded up to 5 cents..
They finally put this through? I'm glad to hear it! The last I'd heard -- and I'll admit I hadn't been following this subject that closely, was that the Senate had done some sort of a study and had made a recommendation to eliminate the penny, but I didn't know that the government was going to actually act on it so soon.

In a digression -- I can't wait until our new 20$ bank notes come out. The Canadian is on the back!!! I'm gonna need to get a few of those in mint condition!

unsure.gif
Aintcha learned yourself history? Québéc is the 51st state and Canada the 52nd. It would have been the other way round but nobody wanted to offend the Québécoise. :giggle:

Actually, both the original US and Canada was ruled by the UK! :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
In a digression -- I can't wait until our new 20$ bank notes come out. The Canadian is on the back!!! I'm gonna need to get a few of those in mint condition!
I'm anxious to see the new bills too!.......Wonder what view of the "Canadian" they will use: VIA's or that classic shot the CPR's version at Morant's Curve in the Bow River Valley.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm anxious to see the new bills too!.......Wonder what view of the "Canadian" they will use: VIA's or that classic shot the CPR's version at Morant's Curve in the Bow River Valley.
Since they're recognising and celebrating both the original transcon railway and the original CPR Canadian, I reckon they'll use a scene taken from CPR days.

India recently got rid of their fives, and will probably do the same with tens too.
I hope they don't eliminate tens soon. After all even today there is a lot of stuff you can buy in India for ten bucks, including fare-unchanged-since-ten-years train tickets!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back