Brightline Trains Florida discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of going off topic, but a provision for light rail (or some sort of rail system), which I recently heard might also happen soon. Not sure how soon, but I was told it could be running by 2019. Some of the proposed stops are:

- Universal Orlando

- Kirkman Road
- Destination Parkway
- SeaWorld Orlando

Source for this information came from someone who works at a theme park, which could be getting the said service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caesar, the catch has been getting funding for the LRT. The owners of the various theme parks and the City of Orlando and FDOT have been playing range chicken. Of course, under mister baldy in Tallahassee FDOT is a mere sideline observer. So it is between the parks and Orlando as to who blinks and puts money on the table. If the parks bring enough money on the table to justify Orlando to bring in some matching funds it could happen quickly. But without the financial participation of the parks, I am afraid we will wait quite a while.

Caesar, the catch has been getting funding for the LRT. The owners of the various theme parks and the City of Orlando and FDOT have been playing range chicken. Of course, under mister baldy in Tallahassee FDOT is a mere sideline observer. So it is between the parks and Orlando as to who blinks and puts money on the table. If the parks bring enough money on the table to justify Orlando to bring in some matching funds it could happen quickly. But without the financial participation of the parks, I am afraid we will wait quite a while.
You gave a very good explanation as to why this is project hasn't happened any sooner. Anyone that has been following LRT proposals in Orlando, the idea has been all talk and no action since no funding was provided.

They're basically addressing a transportation bottleneck that has plagued places like I-Drive since the early 90s. As for whether this will finally happen it's too soon to tell, but lightning has already struck twice if you know what I mean.

"Good find.

This engine actually looks even smarter in the blood than it did on artist's impressions."

Google and I have never heard that expression before. Please translate "smarter in the blood" for us.

"Good find.

This engine actually looks even smarter in the blood than it did on artist's impressions."

Google and I have never heard that expression before. Please translate "smarter in the blood" for us.
I would guess they mean "better in reality than the artist impressions.

"Good find.

I would guess they mean "better in reality than the artist impressions.

"Good find.

I take it to mean "in real life" aka a live picture rather than a drawing.

That engine is absolutely gorgeous!

We are in the middle of a downpour where I am, and it really cheers things up.

I want to see it even more in real life, like riding a car in back of it right now, with coffee being served at my seat :) . Well, maybe I should wait til they put the glass and the lights in first! :p

Also, not having paid much attention to train tires, I don't have a frame of reference, but they look a bit small--are they just the core of the tires and more will be added later?

Those are not the final trucks with traction motors etc. that it is standing on. Those are temporary trucks for moving around the shop I think. The final trucks will be essentially very similar to the ones we see on the Sprinters, and they will have the external yaw dampers and all that paraphernalia for stable ride, which will be clearly visible.

But as far as final height goes, it won't be a very tall locomotive. It will be the same 12' 6" height as the Chargers and the Sprinters.

But yes, I truly love the looks of it. Looks much much better than the run of the mill Chargers that the states are getting.

Thanks, Jim. I have now embarrassed myself twice! :blush:

After all the things I have learned here, just shows how much more there is to learn! (and I am not going to admit I don't remember who those lyrics were from--Doobie brothers?)

Thanks, Jim. I have now embarrassed myself twice! :blush:

After all the things I have learned here, just shows how much more there is to learn! (and I am not going to admit I don't remember who those lyrics were from--Doobie brothers?)
You should hop on the AEM-7 Farewell Excursion train and then you'd get to go to the Wilmington Shops and see the wheels and other neat stuff...and of course, engines.

It is tempting, and I thought about it, but it would make me sad. :( I love the AEM-7s and don't want to say goodbye to them. I'm sure there will be another shop tour somewhere sometime, and I will go on one eventually.

Railway Gazette has an article on the Siemens Brightline equipment under construction with a photo of one of the coach car frames along with the photo of the locomotive: Brightline unveils Siemens locomotives and coaches.

Excerpt:

The stainless steel passenger coaches are the first to be manufactured by Siemens in the USA. Fully-compliant with ADA accessibility requirements and designed for level boarding without steps, they will be painted in bright colours and will offer wi-fi, power sockets, bicycle and luggage space and be ‘pet friendly’. Siemens will maintain the fleet at a new depot in West Palm Beach.
The Charger locomotive in the photo looks good. Although Brightline should stock up on replacement noses given the number of grade crossings on the route and the demonstrated propensity of Florida drivers to try to beat the train....

Per Trains newswire today, even Amtrak's Joe Boardman is impressed with the Siemens train cars.

Amtrak President and CEO Joe Boardman saw the Brightline cars in early June when attending an event marking delivery of the final ACS-64 locomotive and remarked on the new equipment.

“I’m not going to sell for Siemens, but I was tremendously impressed with what they are doing with coaches that they are building for All Aboard Florida — they are [accessible for people with disabilities] moving anywhere in the coach and the train — I’m very, very interested in that,” Boardman said.

Link:

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2016/06/09-brightline-unveil

Since they are being built in California and used first in Florida, would Rep. Denham and Mica steer Amtrak to buy any future short distance cars from Siemens, without running afoul of conflict of interest rules of course.

Boardman won't be in charge whenever Amtrak and the eastern states get around to placing orders for single level coach cars, but with an active production line, Siemens is in a position to lobby the key players in Congress. Some campaign donations won't hurt either.

Another report by Trains magazine on the Siemens coach cars, this one on passing the 800,000 pound compression test: So Far, So Good.

Wonder if the Siemens design engineers re and re-checked the design and construction work after the Nippon-Sharyo test failure to be sure their coach car would pass?

Wonder if the Siemens design engineers re and re-checked the design and construction work after the Nippon-Sharyo test failure to be sure their coach car would pass?
I don't think Nippon Sharyo's design has anything to do with Siemens' single level design.

The issue with NS's design was they failed to design properly for a center sill-less car and that caused the failure.

Siemens is building normal cars with both center and side sills which have already passed European high speed buff strength requirements, and strengthening the sills for US is a trivial upgrade design-wise. In short they had nothing new to design, just change a few parameters in a pre-existing design, unlike what NS had to do.

But of course, in general it is prudent to check and recheck designs irrespective of what misfortune befalls a competitor.

It probably doesn't take much to impress Mr Boardman, considering a few of his LD trains are running without a real diner (or none at all) :p
I am told that it is a bit more than just Boardman getting impressed. There were other Amtrak operations people present who also were impressed. AAF apprently faught a bit of a battle with the engineers and finally got their way on several issues where the engineers wanted to cut corners at the expense of passenger comfort. of course we will have to wait and see what the outcome looks like.

Of course Boardman may be many things good or bad, but he is not a magician. The reason that trains are running without Diners primarily because delivery of new Diners is years behind and old Diners had had their periodic maintenance discontinued based on a delivery plan that CAF failed to meet. So it is not clear that these two issues have any connection with each other except as a joke :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back