"Border Crossing Fee"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
According to a friend in Canada there is a new border crossing fee in the works that will cause train tickets to increase in price between Canada and the US! I have no idea if this is a Canadian or US or joint scheme but am not surprised! It may have to do with the Olympics starting in BC in Feb, and then again perhaps it's just another tax increase by another name! :angry:

Makes sense to me... Vancouver will require both sides to have increased Border Patrol. This costs money. Why pass this on to the entire country of taxpayers when they could just pass the buck to the people who are crossing the border.

At the Niagara Falls border crossing, pedestrians must pay a quarter to leave Canada. Its been that way since the 70s. You could just call this an increase.

Not to mention many countries charge for you to get an Visa to enter. Not really a big deal.

Makes sense to me... Vancouver will require both sides to have increased Border Patrol. This costs money. Why pass this on to the entire country of taxpayers when they could just pass the buck to the people who are crossing the border.
Normally I'd agree ALC but it's not clear if this is just for trains or applies to vehicles which is how 99% of the crossers get to and from Canada!

We already pay for immigration/customs/border patrols/Homeland Security insanity with our taxes, new taxes are tjust that, supposedly Congress has to OK new taxes, desk jockeys in HS aren't supposed to have this power! :rolleyes:

Normally I'd agree ALC but it's not clear if this is just for trains or applies to vehicles which is how 99% of the crossers get to and from Canada!

We already pay for immigration/customs/border patrols/Homeland Security insanity with our taxes, new taxes are tjust that, supposedly Congress has to OK new taxes, desk jockeys in HS aren't supposed to have this power! :rolleyes:
Well I would say wait until you see this new policy online somewhere before getting bent out of shape.

Well I would say wait until you see this new policy online somewhere before getting bent out of shape.
It's now posted on Amtrak.com on the discount deal for the NY-Montreal deal but no amount is listes. Nickle and dime stuff it may be but secret govt. actions lead to things like Watergate and the Iraq lie that the Bush gang pulled, we should all wan t open government and not back room deals out of WAS!

It's now posted on Amtrak.com on the discount deal for the NY-Montreal deal but no amount is listes. Nickle and dime stuff it may be but secret govt. actions lead to things like Watergate and the Iraq lie that the Bush gang pulled, we should all wan t open government and not back room deals out of WAS!
Right...well I took the Adirondack a month or so ago and there were no hidden fees, or anything of the sort. I really don't understand why your upset over this. I can think of half a dozen countries where you have to pay for a Visa to enter. I think my dad had to pay $150 for his visa to enter India.

.... What? Are you comparing a border crossing fee to the Iraq War?

Because those people crossing the border will be spending money in one country or the other, so why charge them for the privilege of visiting a country to spend their money?

If you invite friends round to your house do you charge them for absorbing heat in your house, maybe drinking some water or being able to see you seeing as you have the lights switched on?

Actually, I am seeing benefits to one of those.................. :lol:

You misunderstand, those were examples of individuals making pgovt. policy without Congressional OK or oversight. Do not be surprised to see new Homeland Security fees after the last episode in Detroit! I spent 25 years in WAS and nothing surprises me that happens there but it doesnt hurt ot let folks know what's coming instead of "Surprise"!

Hope that clarifies my point, I won't post again on this! As Rosane-a-Danna sid: "Never mind!"

Right...well I took the Adirondack a month or so ago and there were no hidden fees, or anything of the sort. I really don't understand why your upset over this. I can think of half a dozen countries where you have to pay for a Visa to enter. I think my dad had to pay $150 for his visa to enter India.
He was robbed! Also look up the discount special, the fee is coming which is what I was alerting about! Last post, as they'd say in England don't get your knickers in a wad! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
A number of countries charge a "departure fee" at the airport when you leave. Sometimes it's added into your ticket sometimes you pay in cash at a booth when you leave. Many countries as LTR stated charge fees for Visas, IIRC China's was around $100.

Now as to this "proposed" fee, who is going to be charging it the US government or the Canadian government? Has anyone seen this proposal in writing either from the US State Department, ICE or their Canadian equivalent?

I have no problem with the fee, as long as it is applied equally across all similar modes of transportation. For instance, if it applies to a train passenger, it should likewise apply to an auto passenger and a bus passenger. Otherwise, in effect we are creating a financial incentive to drive (however minor). Generally, I think recouping the cost of operations like customs, TSA and other government agencies is better done through direct fees than funded out of the general pool of taxes. At the same time, Neil's logic does make lots of sense, so I don't have a real objection to the way things are funded now. It's just important that we strive for modal equity for transportation policies.

On the train selection page booking the Adirondack, link border crossings;

US-VISIT FeeBorder agents will collect a fee of $6.00 from each visitor. Foreign visitors must come to the border prepared to pay this fee. The fee is payable in US currency, a US postal money order, a personal check drawn on a US bank, a Canadian money order issued in US funds or a US dollar travelers cheque only.
So, everyone but US citizens are charged, traveling into the US.

Correction;

From Canadian Foreign Affairs pages;

Border FeesAmerican border officials collect a US$6 per-person fee, payable only in U.S. dollars, to issue an Arrival-Departure Record (Form I-94). The fee does not apply to Canadian citizens and landed immigrants from member countries of the Commonwealth and Ireland who are entering the United States on temporary visits for business or pleasure, or to travellers arriving in the United States by air. More information and instructions are provided by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
However this may not be the impending fees the OP's friend warned of.

Last edited by a moderator:
My ticket VAC-SEA next May '' w a s '' 59.50 for 2 seniors....now 63.74; so that new '' fee' seems like ~~$2.xx per person...

Really nothing to sweat over as , in the grand scheme of things, it is not worth the added couple of points on one's blood pressure measurement....

cheers

merry xmas & happy new year :)

hohohoho...and all the rest of it ;)

Claude G

My ticket VAC-SEA next May '' w a s '' 59.50 for 2 seniors....now 63.74; so that new '' fee' seems like ~~$2.xx per person...
Claude,

Are you saying that Amtrak came back and asked you for more money? Or just that the current price listed on the website is now a few bucks more than when you booked your trip?

Claude,

Are you saying that Amtrak came back and asked you for more money? Or just that the current price listed on the website is now a few bucks more than when you booked your trip?
No, no ticket bought yet.

Researching 3 weeks ago and now revealed the difference.

Cheers

Claude

In any event, at least the fee is "official" and not like in many countries where, if you want to enter or leave, you have to slip the man a little "unofficial" fee in your passport! <_<

Happy New Year, everyone! I wonder how many of us readers will be on a sleeper train at the stroke of midnight? That sounds like a magical way to ring in the New Year.

Claude,

Cheers

Claude
I may be wrong, Claude, but I think I saw somewhere that Amtrak is offering some sort of a special deal to celebrate their expansion of the Cascades service. You may want to check it out, although it might not apply to travel in May.

Claude,

Cheers

Claude
I may be wrong, Claude, but I think I saw somewhere that Amtrak is offering some sort of a special deal to celebrate their expansion of the Cascades service. You may want to check it out, although it might not apply to travel in May.
Tks for the ''tip'' but you're right: does not apply to travel in May as the 2nd SEA-VAC service which started aug'09 '' MAY'' be stopped in April ( unless the one and only holdout, our CBSA, finally reads the q-cards and opens their eys to the real world.....), therefore, the promos to support the initial start-up have a relatively short shelf life...

Chers

Claude

I can think of half a dozen countries where you have to pay for a Visa to enter. I think my dad had to pay $150 for his visa to enter India.
He was robbed!
Huh? The US charges Indians $150 to give them a visa to enter the US too. So I guess it is equal opportunity mutual robbery then, no?

These fees and visa requirements are typically reciprocal. Only those countries that have had a previous asymmetric power relationship with a power occasionally tolerate an asymmetric situation with the powerful one. Then when they wake up and start becoming more reciprocally equal a lot of people initially scream blue murder and behave poorly. Witness the situation between US and Brazil, and more recently between US and Argentina.

I have no problem with the fee, as long as it is applied equally across all similar modes of transportation. For instance, if it applies to a train passenger, it should likewise apply to an auto passenger and a bus passenger. Otherwise, in effect we are creating a financial incentive to drive (however minor). Generally, I think recouping the cost of operations like customs, TSA and other government agencies is better done through direct fees than funded out of the general pool of taxes. At the same time, Neil's logic does make lots of sense, so I don't have a real objection to the way things are funded now. It's just important that we strive for modal equity for transportation policies.
I agree pretty much with what you say, however that can work two ways. Ever since the US government dropped federal taxes from railroad and bus tickets way back in the 1960's I believe, only airline passengers have continued paying a tax ever since, including as mentioned extra taxes for border crossing fees.

So it can be argued that railroad and bus passengers should not only now have to pay border fees, but also other taxes as well.

Bottom line....be careful what you wish for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back