Body scanner test at DC Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not in DC.
Not in DC SO FAR*...

*that you know of. ;)
Given that I am through there nearly every day, and the article in the OP has a picture of the scanners, no, they definitely haven't been used.
The TSA does shows up in DC from time to time with different unrecognizable stuff to try out. Never saw the scanners in the picture but they have brought other stuff. Usually they set up in the Acela area. It could be they want to impress congress critters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you mean the ClubAcela lounge or the ticket counter with the Acela logo on the wall (next to the regular Amtrak ticket counter)?
I think he means Gates E and F, where the Acela usually board.

Not in DC.
Not in DC SO FAR*...

*that you know of. ;)
Given that I am through there nearly every day, and the article in the OP has a picture of the scanners, no, they definitely haven't been used.
The TSA does shows up in DC from time to time with different unrecognizable stuff to try out. Never saw the scanners in the picture but they have brought other stuff. Usually they set up in the Acela area. It could be they want to impress congress critters.

Do you mean the ClubAcela lounge or the ticket counter with the Acela logo on the wall (next to the regular Amtrak ticket counter)?
Interesting. I'm assuming that's outside/before the ClubAcela boarding, as I've boarded the Acela from the CA lounge and not seen any TSA clerks.

Not in DC.
Not in DC SO FAR*...

*that you know of. ;)

Interesting. I'm assuming that's outside/before the ClubAcela boarding, as I've boarded the Acela from the CA lounge and not seen any TSA clerks.
In the inside waiting area where the ushers check tickets before the platforms. The Club Acela has an exit door into that area. The TSA sets up there randomly. Several times a week and random hours. Not all day. Usually all they do is random swab tests for explosives. Sometimes, not often they have more complicated stuff. You can't see they are there from the outside. You will only see them and encounter the TSA if you are boarding. So it's no surprise that regular MARC riders and whatever have not seen it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
As stated previously; if subjected to an invasive search before boarding it will be the last Amtrak ticket that I purchase. I am a later middle age guy, a good neighbor, respect all laws, and have an exemplary record. If they want to pick on people like myself, they can do so once and later be without my business.

As stated previously; if subjected to an invasive search before boarding it will be the last Amtrak ticket that I purchase. I am a later middle age guy, a good neighbor, respect all laws, and have an exemplary record. If they want to pick on people like myself, they can do so once and later be without my business.
Threaten if you must, but please remember that this is a TSA driven thing, NOT Amtrak. And also remember that the TSA has the right to set up shop in any intercity train station, and I suspect the same goes for intercity bus stations as well.

Not in DC.
Not in DC SO FAR*...

*that you know of. ;)

In the inside waiting area where the ushers check tickets before the platforms. The Club Acela has an exit door into that area. The TSA sets up there randomly. Several times a week and random hours. Not all day. Usually all they do is random swab tests for explosives. Sometimes, not often they have more complicated stuff. You can't see they are there from the outside. You will only see them and encounter the TSA if you are boarding. So it's no surprise that regular MARC riders and whatever have not seen it.
Interesting. I have yet to see them there, but then I'm a vacation rider and not a NEC business rider so I've only been through WAS about 6 times. JoeBas mentioned that ClubAcela is a reliable way to not be hassled, so I wonder if that has something to do with it as well? Would they (conceivably) board CA passengers before letting the smurfs set up their operation for the general boarding?

(By the way, a continued thanks to everyone here for humoring my neurosis about this. I do really appreciate it.)

It is delusional to think that Club Acela is a reliable way to not get hassled. They have set up shop in the holding area just outside Club Acela exit on the E/F side at least on one occasion known to me. I was not checked, but they were doing random explosive testing and dog sniffing.

It is delusional to think that Club Acela is a reliable way to not get hassled. They have set up shop in the holding area just outside Club Acela exit on the E/F side at least on one occasion known to me. I was not checked, but they were doing random explosive testing and dog sniffing.
If and when US passenger rail becomes like US air travel I'm sure there will be some sort of GE/PC style service you can acquire to get out of most of the hands-on hassle. First they create an arbitrary constriction and then they sell you a solution around their obstruction. At first I wanted nothing to do with any of that nonsense. Then after several mind numbing trips through the perpetual clusterfork at IAH I started to reconsider. They already had everything they'd ever want on me anyway so I wasn't really giving them anything new. GE is more invasive than PC but still a far cry from the forty odd pages of background required for TS.

I agree completely. It pretty much sucks, but there are other things that suck more. One can choose to withdraw from his world and become a hermit and not deal with any of it, or one could choose otherwise within the bounds of what one is comfortable with. It is, at the end of the day, a tradeoff, and each has to select their own. Make the bed that you are comfortable to lay in. There is no "one size fits all" answer to the conundrum.

If and when US passenger rail becomes like US air travel I'm sure there will be some sort of GE/PC style service you can acquire to get out of most of the hands-on hassle. First they create an arbitrary constriction and then they sell you a solution around their obstruction. At first I wanted nothing to do with any of that nonsense. Then after several mind numbing trips through the perpetual clusterfork at IAH I started to reconsider. They already had everything they'd ever want on me anyway so I wasn't really giving them anything new. GE is more invasive than PC but still a far cry from the forty odd pages of background required for TS.
Dumb question time. What is GE/PC? I'm sure I ought to know, but I don't.

General Electric is more invasive than Penn Central but still a far cry from the forty odd pages of background required for Train Simulator. Somehow I don't think that's what you had in mind..... :)

My assumption given the context is:

GE - Global Entry (DHS)

PC - Pre-Check (TSA)

In addition there is "Clear" provided by a private outfit which involves using Biometrics. It costs quite a bit more, but is a lifesaver for me in places like Orlando where even the Pre-Check line sometimes winds around the building. I just used it in IAD few weeks back, and I understand Newark may be getting it soon too.

As for why TSA cannot set up shop for something similar to Clear using the Biometrics they already have for GE beats me.

General Electric is more invasive than Penn Central but still a far cry from the forty odd pages of background required for Train Simulator. Somehow I don't think that's what you had in mind..... :)
Global Entry / Pre-Check The Global Entry program includes TSA Pre Check.

I like your guesses.

You didn't ask about TS, but I assume that is Top Secret.

Uncle Sam can go do what they want but no screening is really necessary. All Amtrak needs to do is to when tickets are purchased, run each passenger through the no fly list and FBI National Instant Check system; silent and non-invasive method. NICS is the same system used for firearm purchases nationwide. Any suspicious or past criminal activity will show up. They know everything about each one of us anyway so this system will work. Other screening nonsense is just security theater. Since 911 not a single terrorist has been caught at the airports by the TSA and with screening abroad, planes still blow up and crash. Must say that no screening will stop an terrorist . They are wise to this and now have resorted to employing trucks to do their dastardly deeds.

Back