"Big" Announcement Tomorrow (10/14)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, a couple of quick thoughts:
-NPN ridership vs. 2012? 128k vs. 136k. It's a drop of almost exactly 8,000...which is negligible in the grand scheme of things considering the fears about Norfolk's impact.
-RVR added about 27k riders...slower than in the past, but I suspect parking has at least something to do with that.
-The Norfolk train nailed its ridership target almost exactly. Budgeted ridership was 125,422. Actual ridership was 127,937. A difference of 2% vs. the targed on a newly-extended train? I think that's about as close to dead on as you can hope for.
-Richmond-route Regionals saw ridership of 706,305 vs. 623,864 last year (+13.2%). This points to a minimally-slow September: Ridership was only up about 1500.

-The NEC would've likely eked out a very small gain but for Consolidated Idiots knocking out the power. I think you can find 27k riders in that disruption...or many, many times over in the rest of the year. Look for the NEC to be "shock-loaded" for growth in FY14.
-It looks like adding intra-NEC ridership on the Crescent was a smashing success. The train went from being down sharply at the end of July to being up for the year. It added 8183 riders vs. the same period FY12...an increase of 17.98%, 136.4/day, or 68.2/train (bear in mind the NEC rule only applied one way. Considering that this was a train leaking riders as of July, that sort of turnaround is just amazing, and even if there was a bump on "normal" ridership, it seems this is a VERY good train to allow NEC ridership on, and unless it's somehow killing a closely-scheduled Regional, I'd argue that there's a significant case to keep allowing intra-NEC ridership, since that seems to have the potential to put a couple million dollars in the Crescent's line (not to mention buffing the LD trains' share of ridership). The train also cleared up about $712k of a $1.06m year-over-year revenue drop...which would correspond to that NEC ridership as well.
-The Star didn't do quite as well by this metric (it improved its pacing by about 4000 riders...it was down 15k in July and ended up down a bit under 12k). The Palmetto also saw a negligible swing. However, in light of the overall ridership slip in September, the impact here might actually be bigger than this suggests.

Taking the assumption that Amtrak implicitly risked a rise in NEC ridership to give the LD trains a record, I think that's a politically canny move. The NEC is largely safe from most political attacks (even if funding gets shorted) while LD trains take the brunt of the shots. Giving the LD trains a seventh straight year of increasing ridership can't hurt the case there.

Sure does look like ALX.

So a BIG announcement having to do with ALX? :unsure: ALX is the biggest little station in the Amtrak network? :huh: ALX is the best and coolest station in the Amtrak network? :rolleyes: The Beech Grove shops are moving to ALX? :D It has been discovered that George Washington rode Amtrak to Philadelphia to participate in the Continental Congress where he then took command of the Continental Army before riding Amtrak to Boston? :eek:hboy: Okay, maybe not the last one... :lol:
So, no "Homer" predjudice here, at all? btw, what is the station you board/deTrain at most frequently?
Oh no, NO "Homer" predjudice here at all. -_-

And you know I'm 100% serious at all times. :blink:

:rolleyes:

:eek:hboy:

:giggle:

Which station do I use the most when I'm actually using a train and not just loitering?

I'm thinking its approximately 50/50 between WAS & ALX. I prefer to use ALX, but when heading north or west, there are times it is just not practical.

A ridership of 31.6 million is a very impressive number. That's about 10% of the air passenger total but still a very good number. While Amtrak continues to grow, there are good points and lets say difficult points. On one hand it will keep the system working but on the other more riders will place a strain on the system equipment wise. For the growth to continue, more equipment and trains will be needed. If that doesn't happen, then it will make both coach and sleeper accommodations far more difficult and expensive to secure.

Come on, Ryan, help a Senior Citizen such as myself (I think I qualify, I recently recieved a membership application from.......ummmm....wait a moment, it will come to me......oh yeah, 'AARP') to understand all of these new concepts. Dummy it down for me please. Thank you. Why are we all of a sudden going '23 Skidoo!'? (I have an actual printed dictionary that will describe '23 Skidoo' in case you need assistance......grin.

Soooo, seeing the "top five stations in each state" portion of the press release I attempted to create a list of "busiest non-NEC" stations based on the state-by-state information, by focusing on stations with numbers over 100,000.

And then promptly failed, because the top five stations in California, Illinois, New York, Pennsylvania, and Virginia are all over 100,000, so I'm missing several of the over-100,000 in each state.

Anyway, the results show that there are at least two cities generating strong traffic (>100,000) on nearly every corridor, as well as the NEC.

There seem to be a few weaker corridors or segments of corridors:

- Detroit-Pontiac

- Grand Rapids-Chicago

- East Lansing-Kalamazoo

- Vermonter north of Springfield

- Heartland Flyer

(It's also hard to tell from these numbers about most trains north of Albany or the Quincy trains or the Norfolk train, for the reason noted above; the stations are mostly below the "top five" for the state. However, Syracuse is #5 in NY with 154,903, so Empire Corridor West is doing fine.)

It also popped out at me that Exeter, NH has ridership of 101,543. I really wish New Hampshire would chip in for the Downeaster.

But my actual goal here was to attempt to spot which stations which are getting high ridership *without* well-connected corridor service. And this is a short list:

- The Auto Train terminals are busy, which should be no surprise, at 265,274 each.

- Orlando at 160,442

- Tampa at 139,412

Note that Miami does not make my cutoff.

- New Orleans at 212,426

- Fort Worth at 129,389 (top station in Texas, ahead of Dallas! This surprises me)

- St. Paul/Minneapolis at 116,991

- Denver at 108,124

There are a couple of ways of looking at this. One is to see these cities as great opportunities for improved service. Another is to see the cities which *didn't* make this list as great opportunities for improved service. :)

Unfortunately, corridor service from Amtrak currently requires state support (even if it pays for itself, the state has to agree to pay for *potential* costs). We all know that lack of Wisconsin support hurt plans which would have eventually sped up service to St. Paul, lack of Iowa support hurt plans which would have eventually sped up service to Denver, lack of Louisiana and neighboring states' support has prevented any improvement in service to New Orleans, lack of Florida support prevented high-speed rail from Tampa to Orlando, and Texas has been unable to come to terms even on planned minor improvements between Fort Worth and Dallas...

So with no committed plans for service improvement, we may be watching this short list of cities "punch above their weight", with good ridership but minimal service, for some time to come. It will be interesting to see if other cities join them.

Just received an email from Amtrak:

"

Book by October 21, 2013 to get 31% off a companion fare on most routes Dear ****,

The Amtrak journey is about more than us. It's about you. Thanks to you, we've reached a record 31.6 million riders this year and we continue to strengthen American rail travel. It's a milestone that fills us with a great deal of appreciation and pride. To celebrate, we're pleased to offer you a savings of 31% on a companion fare. It's how we're showing our thanks to you and everyone who traveled with us this year.

Save on your next trip. Purchase one fare and get a companion fare for 31% off when you book by October 21, 2013 for travel October 22, 2013 through December 12, 2013. "

Wonder why Amtrak Cascades and Capital Corridor aren't participating in the 31% off a companion fare promo? All the other state operated routes seem to be.

Wonder why Amtrak Cascades and Capital Corridor aren't participating in the 31% off a companion fare promo? All the other state operated routes seem to be.
Capitol Corridor already has a discount promotion underway for companion fares, so the state of California probably doesn't want to confuse customers with a "competing" discount.

Soooo, seeing the "top five stations in each state" portion of the press release I attempted to create a list of "busiest non-NEC" stations based on the state-by-state information, by focusing on stations with numbers over 100,000.

And then promptly failed, because the top five stations in California, Illinois, New York, Pennsylvania, and Virginia are all over 100,000, so I'm missing several of the over-100,000 in each state.

But my actual goal here was to attempt to spot which stations which are getting high ridership *without* well-connected corridor service. And this is a short list:

- St. Paul/Minneapolis at 116,991
Amtrak lists the passenger counts for all stations by state in their state fact sheets which are available for FY11 and FY12 if you want to do further analysis. Probably will take several months for the FY13 state fact sheets to be posted.

The FY13 Florida station passenger numbers for Tampa, Orlando, and Miami are down from FY12. Jacksonville FL, however, is up sharply from 77.5K to 94.3K. Shows the effect of the SunRail track work delays and service disruptions on the Silvers in FL. Revenue service for the Phase 1 section of SunRail is scheduled to start in May, so the Silvers may get some bounce from it. But then Phase 2 of SunRail is scheduled for 2016, which suggests the Silvers will get hurt by track work for Phase 2.

The numbers for the Twin Cities Midway Station are down also from 120.5K in FY12 to 117K. The constant lateness of the eastbound Empire Builder obviously had an effect. Will be interesting to see if there is a noticeable increase when the EB relocates to the St Paul Union Station, the light rail line starts service, and if the eastbound EB can get better for being close to on-time until the next summer track work season.

It also popped out at me that Exeter, NH has ridership of 101,543. I really wish New Hampshire would chip in for the Downeaster.

- Orlando at 160,442

- Tampa at 139,412

Note that Miami does not make my cutoff.
(1) New Hampshire is making a contribution to the Downeaster: It's filling over a third of the seats that get filled.

(2) Miami is an interesting case. Miami proper has low ridership in some regards, but the whole Miami-Dade/Broward area (i.e. MIA, WPB, FLL, etc.) tends to fill about 1/4 to 1/3 of the seats on the Silvers. It's just spread out over 6 stations. Of course, in the same vein you have a three-way split in the Orlando-area ridership as well.

The FY13 Florida station passenger numbers for Tampa, Orlando, and Miami are down from FY12. Jacksonville FL, however, is up sharply from 77.5K to 94.3K. Shows the effect of the SunRail track work delays and service disruptions on the Silvers in FL. Revenue service for the Phase 1 section of SunRail is scheduled to start in May, so the Silvers may get some bounce from it. But then Phase 2 of SunRail is scheduled for 2016, which suggests the Silvers will get hurt by track work for Phase 2.
I just checked SunRail's website and phase 2 construction is supposed to start in 2014. I then checked Google Maps; phase 2 looks like doesn't have quite as many bridges as phase 2, but it looks like it has enough to require a lot of shutdowns. So I would not expect any respite for several years; the trackwork simply will not stop until then. I doubt the new connecting service will outweigh that.
If FEC's Orlando-Miami train plans succeed, they may also cannibalize some Miami-area ridership. Though according to the PIP from 2011, a startling number of people -- roughly 21 per day -- were actually using the Silver Star between Miami and Deerfield Beech, despite Tri-Rail covering the same territory, so maybe not.

On the other hand, Miami Central station is supposed to open sometime. 2014? Maybe 2015, what with the platform length snafu?

The numbers for the Twin Cities Midway Station are down also from 120.5K in FY12 to 117K. The constant lateness of the eastbound Empire Builder obviously had an effect. Will be interesting to see if there is a noticeable increase when the EB relocates to the St Paul Union Station, the light rail line starts service, and if the eastbound EB can get better for being close to on-time until the next summer track work season.
There's a chance of this. From rumor, next summer's track work on the Empire Builder route isn't supposed to be as disruptive as this summer's was (as in, they did a lot of what needed to be done already)....

Strike my claim about Miami-Deerfield Beech, I misread the PIP. *sigh*.

:D It has been discovered that George Washington rode Amtrak to Philadelphia to participate in the Continental Congress where he then took command of the Continental Army before riding Amtrak to Boston? :eek:hboy: Okay, maybe not the last one... :lol:
*giggles* That was a good one! :lol:

Would it amuse you to learn that Washington was an ace at navigating in a canoe? Amcanoe, America's waterways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back