Auto Train Mysterious Death

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In its simplest form a bedroom on the Auto Train does not cost $1,000.00 so having that amount in her possession is indicative of her being able to afford a bedroom should she have desired. You, as I, have no idea what her intentions were for the money so we'll never know if she desired a bedroom or not. Since she was travelling in coach, if its safe to assume, she decided her money was best spent elsewhere. Simply stating, with the facts known to us, that she did have the "ability" to purchase a bedroom.

I'll graciously accept your benefit of the doubt regarding coach passengers since, in my prior post, I made no mention of coach passengers, or coach travel in general.
I completely disagree that having $1000 in cash means that she could afford a bedroom. Just because she had $1,000 cash available on her, that day, does not indicate in any way that she could afford it.

From dictionary.com

af·ford

   /əˈfɔrd, əˈfoʊrd/ Show Spelled[uh-fawrd, uh-fohrd] Show IPA

–verb (used with object)

to be able to do, manage, or bear without serious consequence or adverse effect

to be able to meet the expense of; have or be able to spare the price of.

Since we have no knowledge of what the money was intended for, we have no idea if spending it on a bedroom would have "serious consequences or adverse effects."

And I completely agree with Ryan.

My husband and I ride the train all over the place. Someone could have easily shoved her into an unoccupied bedroom and threw her out of the emergency window.

I agree just because she had $1000 on her does NOT mean she could have afforded or wanted to pay for a 1st class ticket or a bedroom ticket.

I do know whomever threw her off the train is definitely a complete scumbag and when caught should be tied and dragged behind the Auto train :( :(

No way the husband did it!

It's still possible that someone saw the money when she was leaving with a tip.

And having $1000 in cash is not an indicator of someone's ability to pay for a bedroom, so lose your attitude about coach. Are you ever going to get around to substantiating your acquisition of a crew member, or are you just hoping that it'll quietly be forgotten?
1. Someone committed a murder. I speculate that a NEW crew member MIGHT be the culprit. Its an opinion right or wrong that I have every right to have. You are not the only one who is entitled to an OPINION. There is only discussion and theory at this point. If I could prove who did it the case would be solved.

2. Someone who is as sick as this woman was should be riding in a sleeper. You can get a roomette aboard the AT for about $225.00 or get the Handicapped room for the same money. If your wife had parkinsons disease would you not insist that she lie down in a bed for the night? Isn't this the compassionate thing to do? or do we just let terribly sick persons ride in coach to save a few bucks? If my wife was that sick she would be riding in a bedroom, even if I had to borrow the money.

3. Your hostile and adversarial response seems to indicate that you have a low tolerance for views other than your own.

I hear Inspector Poirot is now interviewing all the passengers and train crew. Very mysterious.

I feel sorry for the woman. If someone is responsible I sure hope they catch whomever it is.

OK back on topic. We don't know just how she fell out of the train. The article says emergency exit. That could be anything since most news reporters are ignorant when it comes to passenger trains and will make things up so it sounds good and people will read it. She could have been shoved out of the side door or a emergency window in a sleeper though how do you get past the dining car staff and sleeper attendant when you don't belong in a sleeper? They are good at keeping coach passengers out. Robbery wasn't the motive since she was found with $1000 cash on her.

And having $1000 in cash is not an indicator of someone's ability to pay for a bedroom, so lose your attitude about coach. Are you ever going to get around to substantiating your acquisition of a crew member, or are you just hoping that it'll quietly be forgotten?
1. Someone committed a murder. I speculate that a NEW crew member MIGHT be the culprit. Its an opinion right or wrong that I have every right to have. You are not the only one who is entitled to an OPINION. There is only discussion and theory at this point. If I could prove who did it the case would be solved.

2. Someone who is as sick as this woman was should be riding in a sleeper. You can get a roomette aboard the AT for about $225.00 or get the Handicapped room for the same money. If your wife had parkinsons disease would you not insist that she lie down in a bed for the night? Isn't this the compassionate thing to do? or do we just let terribly sick persons ride in coach to save a few bucks? If my wife was that sick she would be riding in a bedroom, even if I had to borrow the money.

3. Your hostile and adversarial response seems to indicate that you have a low tolerance for views other than your own.
1. What's so special about a new crew member? Sure, you're entitled to your opinion, but if you're going to accuse someone of murder, you damn well better have something better than "it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it". It's a pretty obvious conclusion to draw that you're basing it on your OPINION that crew members are of a lower class than you are, but we'll get to that later. Sure, you're welcome to express that opinion, just as I'm free to express my opinion that you're full of it. You're no better than the guy who rides coach because that's all he can afford, or the car attendant that comes in and turns your bed down at night.

2. Some people don't have that much money to throw at a bedroom. Since you've long made it known that you consider the people that ride in coach to be in the same lower class as crew members, this is just a continuation of your "I'm better than everyone else, because I spend my money to ride in a sleeper" theme that couldn't be further off base. Sure, if my wife were in that position, I'd opt for the sleeper. If I couldn't afford it, I'd likely forgo the trip (as I suspect that you would do as well). However, I'm not so self centered as to be unable to recognize that some people don't have the same priorities and thus make different decisions (and so am not as quick to judge as you seem to be).

3. Since you make an issue of it, I have no problem with people whose views differ from my own. I do have an issue with people like you that put themselves up on a pedestal and think that they're better that others because of the job that they have, how much money they have, or the class of transport that they choose to undertake. I find that elitist, "I'm better than you" attitude abhorrent, and I'm going to challenge you on it every time that you post it here.

I'm better than all of you, especially Ryan! I have no evidence, (other than my superior intellect) and I say "The Husband did it!".

I'm upping my bet to $10.00, or a one-class upgrade voucher!

I stand on my principals, as I cannot find a pedestal. (And it's hard to balance on their heads)

I am ready to be reported for contributing NOTHING to this post, and insulting EVERYONE. "Bailiff, whack his #$%$%"

She could have been shoved out of the side door or a emergency window in a sleeper though how do you get past the dining car staff and sleeper attendant when you don't belong in a sleeper? They are good at keeping coach passengers out.
At the hour that this poor women left the train, the dining car attendants as well as the sleeping car attendants would have been fast asleep in their own beds. So they wouldn't have been stopping anyone. Additionally, there is no dining car separating the coach cars from the sleeping cars on this train. The dining car for sleeper passengers is in the middle of the 5 or 6 sleepers. That leaves one sleeper attached directly to a coach.

I always thought it interesting that the Auto Train was set up this way, rather than having the coach diners sit between the sleepers and coach. For example (north to south):

Sleepers

Sleeper diner/lounge

Sleepers

Coach diner/lounge

Coaches

I always thought it interesting that the Auto Train was set up this way, rather than having the coach diners sit between the sleepers and coach. For example (north to south):

Sleepers

Sleeper diner/lounge

Sleepers

Coach diner/lounge

Coaches
I'm not following Ryan, why is that different, or interesting?

The current consist swaps the coaches and the coach diners/lounge, so you can walk straight from a coach car into a sleeper. Like this:

Sleepers

Sleeper diner/lounge

Sleepers

Coaches

Coach diner/lounge

It's be a relatively simple swap to put a buffer car between the coaches and sleepers like they do on all the other trains (with the exception of sleepers that are added/cut en route like the Portland sleeper on the EB).

There was just an update on a local Orlando television news station stating that investigators have been interviewing passengers on the subject Auto Train, but it is unknown whether they have any more clues. Hopefully they will be able to resolve this mystery.

Sleepers

Sleeper diner/lounge

Sleepers

Coach diner/lounge

Coaches
Actually years ago it was setup more like you suggest, although I seem to recall that it was just one of the coach dining cars that separated the sleepers from the coaches. I'll have to see if I can't find an old consist listing when I get home to see just what was in between the coach & sleeper section. I believe that the coach "support" cars were all moved to the end of the train shortly after that trip in an effort to minimize the walk for coach passengers between the station and the cars.

The current consist swaps the coaches and the coach diners/lounge, so you can walk straight from a coach car into a sleeper. Like this:

Sleepers

Sleeper diner/lounge

Sleepers

Coaches

Coach diner/lounge

It's be a relatively simple swap to put a buffer car between the coaches and sleepers like they do on all the other trains (with the exception of sleepers that are added/cut en route like the Portland sleeper on the EB).
As always, "late to the party". Gotcha.

I agree with the speculations by Railroad Bill. I wonder when the woman went missing (guess I can find that in the news articles). The autotrain runs on a pretty tight schedule, and would pass each town including Jesup, Ga at approximately the same time each day. The train crew probably has record of when they passed each particular town or landmark. The authorities should know what time the body left the train. They need to do a full investigation and bring justice for the deceased woman.
They say between 3:00 and 3:30 a.m. The train arrived in Sanford an hour early that morning. I was in one of the Coach cars and awake most of the night. I can't imagine a window being removed and not hearing noise or wind. There have to be other passengers who know something.
Were you in one of the coach cars where the passengers are being interviewed by the GBI?
Yes, saw them in Lorton, but not on train. I heard nothing and was awake most of the night.

1. What's so special about a new crew member? Sure, you're entitled to your opinion, but if you're going to accuse someone of murder, you damn well better have something better than "it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it". It's a pretty obvious conclusion to draw that you're basing it on your OPINION that crew members are of a lower class than you are, but we'll get to that later. Sure, you're welcome to express that opinion, just as I'm free to express my opinion that you're full of it. You're no better than the guy who rides coach because that's all he can afford, or the car attendant that comes in and turns your bed down at night.

2. Some people don't have that much money to throw at a bedroom. Since you've long made it known that you consider the people that ride in coach to be in the same lower class as crew members, this is just a continuation of your "I'm better than everyone else, because I spend my money to ride in a sleeper" theme that couldn't be further off base. Sure, if my wife were in that position, I'd opt for the sleeper. If I couldn't afford it, I'd likely forgo the trip (as I suspect that you would do as well). However, I'm not so self centered as to be unable to recognize that some people don't have the same priorities and thus make different decisions (and so am not as quick to judge as you seem to be).

3. Since you make an issue of it, I have no problem with people whose views differ from my own. I do have an issue with people like you that put themselves up on a pedestal and think that they're better that others because of the job that they have, how much money they have, or the class of transport that they choose to undertake. I find that elitist, "I'm better than you" attitude abhorrent, and I'm going to challenge you on it every time that you post it here.
An answer like this offers nothing constructive and as such is not worthy of a reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the speculations by Railroad Bill. I wonder when the woman went missing (guess I can find that in the news articles). The autotrain runs on a pretty tight schedule, and would pass each town including Jesup, Ga at approximately the same time each day. The train crew probably has record of when they passed each particular town or landmark. The authorities should know what time the body left the train. They need to do a full investigation and bring justice for the deceased woman.
They say between 3:00 and 3:30 a.m. The train arrived in Sanford an hour early that morning. I was in one of the Coach cars and awake most of the night. I can't imagine a window being removed and not hearing noise or wind. There have to be other passengers who know something.
Were you in one of the coach cars where the passengers are being interviewed by the GBI?
Yes, saw them in Lorton, but not on train. I heard nothing and was awake most of the night.
Were you interviewed by GBI? Our news story mentioned that GBI stated that passengers had been very cooperative.

An answer like this offers nothing constructive and as such is not worthy of a reply.
This whole discussion has gotten completely out of hand. None of you know anything concrete about the incident and yet you are accusing people of murder! Get a grip. There is no such thing as a "coach person" nor is there any such thing as a "sleeper person". Stereotypes are easy to fall into, but hard to get out of.

This whole discussion has gotten completely out of hand. None of you know anything concrete about the incident and yet you are accusing people of murder! Get a grip. There is no such thing as a "coach person" nor is there any such thing as a "sleeper person". Stereotypes are easy to fall into, but hard to get out of.
The open exchange of ideas and opinions is not an accusation. Neither is a theory an accusation. Read the dictionary and compare the meaning of the words. They all have totally different meanings. To define them the same as an accusation is to show a lack of a basic understanding of the English language. Also when you preface a sentence with might or could have it simply defines a possibility.

The open exchange of ideas and opinions is not an accusation. Neither is a theory an accusation. Read the dictionary and compare the meaning of the words. They all have totally different meanings. To define them the same as an accusation is to show a lack of a basic understanding of the English language. Also when you preface a sentence with might or could have it simply defines a possibility.
You must be a politician with all of those weasel words, complete with the personal attacks on the people that you disagree with.

Known facts: Couple boards 53 in LOR. Wife suffers from potentially burdensome disease.

Train arrives in Sanford Husband then reports wife as missing with $1,000 (uncorroberated)

At 1515 CSX crew finds body which suffered multiple injuries including a broken neck.

The authorities are trying to interview all coach passengers.

So, lets drop the conspiracy theories and slander of Amtrak personnel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back