Auto Train Mysterious Death

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the link:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-09-12/news/os-amtrak-auto-train-barbara-arteta-20100911_1_auto-train-amtrak-engineer-passengers

Penny, you need to edit all but a short bit of the article out of your post so the site doesn't get caught up in a copyright violation.
what over 3 lines? its not the whole article.
It was the whole article before she edited it. ;)
The post didn't show the edited by part when i posted that.

This whole story sounds fishy. If the F.B.I. does its work properly they should find the killer. Since the AutoTrain is a "sealed" train going to only one destination the killers name would have to be on the passenger manifest or among the crew. If they question everyone in a room with a hidden voice stress analyzer they will find their man. I hope that the culprit is apprehended, tried, and put in prison as soon as possible.

I think it's very odd that her husband claims his wife had $1,000.00 in cash in her purse. My mother and aunts are all in the same age group women in their 50's-60's and they "never" carry that much cash. Check cards or credit cards maybe $40-$50 in cash that's it. My mother gets upset when I carry just $200.00 in cash and what moron husband would not carry the cash in his wallet? Says he left her in their seats to stretch out elsewhere on the train to sleep, when she has Parkinson's disease? Are you kidding me? I don't buy his story....PERIOD!!

I think it's very odd that her husband claims his wife had $1,000.00 in cash in her purse. My mother and aunts are all in the same age group women in their 50's-60's and they "never" carry that much cash. Check cards or credit cards maybe $40-$50 in cash that's it. My mother gets upset when I carry just $200.00 in cash and what moron husband would not carry the cash in his wallet? Says he left her in their seats to stretch out elsewhere on the train to sleep, when she has Parkinson's disease? Are you kidding me? I don't buy his story....PERIOD!!
I have to politely disagree. I don't think it is at all out of the realm of possibility that this unfortunate woman had that much cash on her. For every older person who has a computer and an atm card, there is another older person who still writes letters and writes checks. My point is that not all old people are the same. I happen to know an older lady who refuses to use a debit card, doesn't even have an atm card, and will only use cash or checks. That means that on certain occasions she does have large amounts of cash in her purse (such as when going on a trip). It doesn't occur to her that that might not be the best thing to do or that it could be stolen. I don't think it's odd that the husband says she had that much cash. Also, just because she has Parkinson's doesn't mean she was a complete invalid. The first news reports indicated that it wasn't just that he wanted her to be able to stretch out, but that her shaking kept him from sleeping. Moving to a spare row nearby would be a logical thing to do and it's possible that the nearest empty row was not immediately adjacent to where his wife was. Having said all that, I've definitely read The Postman Always Rings Twice enough to know that the husband is definitely a suspect. Isn't the spouse usually the first suspect? So while I might disagree with some of what you said, I do agree that it is at least a distinct possibility that the husband was involved. If he was not, I have nothing but sympathy for him and his family.

Last edited by a moderator:
If we think about this one why would a criminal pick on an old sick lady as a victim? This group typically carries little cash so if the death was the result of a robbery the killer had to be very deranged. Also was her ring or jewelry taken? Maybe this was a quick mugging and then out the door but its hard to believe that a criminal that would have to go back to his seat, would choose an Amtrak train for a mugging and murder. I am guessing a new member of the crew might be the culprit.

cash or checks
What are these things - cash and checks?
huh.gif
I think I read about them in history books!
laugh.gif

If we think about this one why would a criminal pick on an old sick lady as a victim? This group typically carries little cash so if the death was the result of a robbery the killer had to be very deranged. Also was her ring or jewelry taken? Maybe this was a quick mugging and then out the door but its hard to believe that a criminal that would have to go back to his seat, would choose an Amtrak train for a mugging and murder. I am guessing a new member of the crew might be the culprit.

Nah, it's gonna be the husband, as some OP pointed out, killers are usually known to their victim. Can also claim $1,000 loss on insurance claim, maybe. Hubby was tired of having to deal with wife's condition, and he just snapped. So sad.

Of course, after watching the movie Fargo together, my wife will not let me rent a chipper-shredder either. Did I type that?

I would go with he possibility that the woman really could have had that much cash. My parents NEVER used a credit card in their lives. They had some department store charge cards that my father treated as a debt every time they charged anything despite knowing that he would pay it in full promptly when the bill arrived. He also had Parkinsons for about 15 years before his death, and it did not keep him from traveling and do many other things that could be managed with control of fine motor skills.

I can't speculate how she fell from the train, but I bet the money was still in the purse at that time and stolen from her as she lay alongside the track. Why would someone on the train steal her money, hand her back her purse ("Here, hold this."), and then throw her off?

What in the world would make you think a new member of the crew is responsible? The crew members have to go back to work on the same train, so based on your earlier comment about a criminal having to go back to their seat, your comment makes no sense.

The investigation continues as the plot thickens.

This FOX-Atlanta article of Mon 13 Sept mentions GBI focus on passengers in cars 5310, 5311, 5312, and 5313, and the lounge.

Thanks to Donctor his system consist sheet shows this:

AUTO TRAIN
— 2 sets

----|---- —— Superliner Auto Train Diner

----|---- —— Superliner Auto Train Lounge

5213|5313 —— Superliner Coach

5212|5312 —— Superliner Coach

5211|5311 —— Superliner Coach

5210|5310 —— Superliner Coach

5244|5344 —— Superliner Sleeper

5242|5342 —— Superliner Sleeper

5240|5340 —— Superliner Deluxe Sleeper

----|---- —— Superliner Auto Train Lounge

5241|5341 —— Superliner Deluxe Sleeper

5243|5343 —— Superliner Sleeper

5245|5345 —— Superliner Sleeper

----|---- —— Superliner Trans-Dorm

CBS Atlanta article 13 Sept noted autopsy results indicate victim died of "multiple injuries including a broken neck."

rrdude, that was funny about the wood chipper-shredder. A great Coen Brothers scene,,,

And I've waited a bit to postulate one theory: Maybe a passenger could be disoriented at night, after rising from sleep, going downstairs, looking for the head (restroom) in unfamiliar surroundings and noises, and accidentally open the vestibule door and take a header out the "Dutch"-style door,,,

And here's our Amtrak Unlimited PSA, the GBI tip line at (800) 597-8477, in case any pax or others may view this thread,,,

Maybe her shaking somehow forced the door open and she fell out. Or maybe she had a another medical condition and thought the door was a restroom and out she went or It is a possibility the crew didn't close and latch the door correctly.

One thing that's bugging me slightly is the media saying she exited through an "emergency window." I'm wondering if in fact, it was the standard boarding door she left through, but our hyper-cautious media refuses to believe that a big door like that can be opened as simply as it can.

Doesn't the door require two latches to open? Maybe not... But it does take a bit of extra strength than opening a bathroom door. The speculation about an emergency exit being removed is plausible, - and much easier. But how could it not have been noticed - especially in Coach? I suppose with no stops, it's possible that all coach pax were asleep at the same time. Perhaps a sleeping gas was introduced into the cabin and all the passengers were in a deep sleep when the culprit came aboard.

It was a dark and stormy night. Suddenly, a window popped out.

Although the incident remains under investigation, initial findings show no foul play was involved, Anderson said. "The autopsy results indicate Sadi died from injuries sustained during a fall from the train," Anderson said. "Falling out of the train was the cause of death."
The moral of that story is "Don't die of mysterious causes in Montana." If you do they'll look for the flimsiest possible reasoning to stop investigating.

Last edited by a moderator:
has anyone here ever read the agatha christie novel "4:50 From Paddington"? Someone mentioned Christie earlier, but I just remembered that in that particular novel, a woman is killed on the train, her body dumped off of it, while moving. hmmm. regardless, I feel badly for that poor old lady. that's not a pleasant way to go. :(

Doesn't the door require two latches to open? Maybe not... But it does take a bit of extra strength than opening a bathroom door. The speculation about an emergency exit being removed is plausible, - and much easier. But how could it not have been noticed - especially in Coach? I suppose with no stops, it's possible that all coach pax were asleep at the same time. Perhaps a sleeping gas was introduced into the cabin and all the passengers were in a deep sleep when the culprit came aboard.

It was a dark and stormy night. Suddenly, a window popped out.

"IF" it was in coach, there is no possible way an emergency window could have been popped out, and no one noticed, unless the coach car was virtually empty, and the only pax were at the extreme other end of the car. The wind noise alone, let alone the wind itself, and the sound of the horn....?

Papa took her down to the lower level, said "let's open the dutch door like we used to honey, smell that fresh Georgia air.......Step a little closer"....PUSH...... close door and dog the latches,.............."Good nite hon......"

I feel badly for that poor old lady. that's not a pleasant way to go. :(

I think the woman was 63 - and that hardly makes her an "old lady." :wacko: At least I hope not.

I saw an Orlando tv news report this evening in which the woman's son was interviewed. He stated that the family is upset that the Georgia Bureau of Investigation is not keeping them posted as to how the investigation is going.

I feel badly for that poor old lady. that's not a pleasant way to go. :(

I think the woman was 63 - and that hardly makes her an "old lady." :wacko: At least I hope not.

I saw an Orlando tv news report this evening in which the woman's son was interviewed. He stated that the family is upset that the Georgia Bureau of Investigation is not keeping them posted as to how the investigation is going.
I think I must have misread the news the first time around...I thought she was a good deal older than early 60s, which is definitely not "old" in my book!

I agree with the speculations by Railroad Bill. I wonder when the woman went missing (guess I can find that in the news articles). The autotrain runs on a pretty tight schedule, and would pass each town including Jesup, Ga at approximately the same time each day. The train crew probably has record of when they passed each particular town or landmark. The authorities should know what time the body left the train. They need to do a full investigation and bring justice for the deceased woman.

There have been videos on youtube that show a superliner train at full speed doors open. Maybe she was trying to be a good citizan and close the door but got sucked out or something

There have been videos on youtube that show a superliner train at full speed doors open. Maybe she was trying to be a good citizan and close the door but got sucked out or something
No, that can't be. Why would the doors be wide open at full speed? Sometimes conductors do this 5 miles in advance of the next stop to save dwell time but this is Auto Train. Circumstantially: she just happended to walk past a set of doors on the lower floor of a Superliner, and then a few feet over to where the open door was, just to what? Catch some fresh air? I hope God's vengeance takes the perpetrator down. This injustice is sickening and disgusting, a poor older woman with Parkinson's disease is thrown out like garbage?!!

I keep forgetting this is the auto train and no stops except for a service stop and no passengers get on or off. If it was a emergency window it would have to be in a sleeper since like said if in coach the noise and the fact there is wind should get some attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back