Auto Train Mysterious Death

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was another similar case along the Empire Builder 3 to five weeks ago, according to Empire Builder list. Found body the next morning along the tracks about 20 minutes from where the passenger should have boarded. Officials could not find any evidence on how passenger left the train. Only way I know to leave train between stations without leaving a window or door open is to be ejected and someone then locks the door or window. I suppose they could make their way to the baggage card and jump out, but I doubt it.

Funny thing - we went out EB about two weeks ago. Returned on Zephyr. There was a strange character we ate lunch with on the Zephyr. A couple of times he made a reference to "those killings", completely out of context because we weren't talking about that topic. He travels extensively by rail throughout Canada, US, and Mexico, he said. If we hear about one on the AMTRAK going up to Michigan day before yesterday, it might be a lead.

I just heard on the local Orlando news that a Central Florida woman who was traveling on the Southbound Auto Train yesterday (I think) was reported missing by her husband. Her body was found near the tracks in Jesup, GA. It was reported that a window was open in an emergency exit (I am not sure what they were referring to). It was also reported that the woman had $1,000 in cash with her and it is missing. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation is looking into cause of death, how she got off the train, etc. If anyone has heard anything more or different, please post.

There was a strange character we ate lunch with on the Zephyr. A couple of times he made a reference to "those killings", completely out of context because we weren't talking about that topic. He travels extensively by rail throughout Canada, US, and Mexico, he said. If we hear about one on the AMTRAK going up to Michigan day before yesterday, it might be a lead.
What sort of "lead" would that be?

Stay on the lookout for a 'strange character' eating food on an Amtrak train. Height Unknown. Weight Unknown. Complexion Unknown. Hair Unknown. Distinguishing Characteristics Unknown. Method Unknown. Motive Unknown. Evidence Unknown. As reported by a random guest post.

Thanks for the "tip" Dave. Now, will you please stop talking about "those killings?" You're kind of freaking me out. :help:

These incidents are not uncommon. Back in the early '90s a Zephyr train chief told a sad story about an elderly woman, presumably an Alzheimer's sufferer, he found trying to open a sleeper vestibule door while the train was at speed. She said she wanted to go out to her patio. He found her husband and asked him to keep an eye on her. The husband, however, appeared to be an alcoholic, so the train chief decided to lock the vestibule doors although in an emergency that might cause a problem. The chief reported the incident to his superior. A week later the Indiana state police contacted him. The woman had been riding the Capitol Limited or Lake Shore Limited, don't remember which, when she at last succeeded in going out to her patio.

Last edited by a moderator:
These incidents are not uncommon. Back in the early '90s a Zephyr train chief told a sad story about an elderly woman, presumably an Alzheimer's sufferer, he found trying to open a sleeper vestibule door while the train was at speed. She said she wanted to go out to her patio. He found her husband and asked him to keep an eye on her. The husband, however, appeared to be an alcoholic, so the train chief decided to lock the vestibule doors although in an emergency that might cause a problem. The chief reported the incident to his superior. A week later the Indiana state police contacted him. The woman had been riding the Capitol Limited or Lake Shore Limited, don't remember which, when she at last succeeded in going out to her patio.
:(

There was a strange character we ate lunch with on the Zephyr. A couple of times he made a reference to "those killings", completely out of context because we weren't talking about that topic. He travels extensively by rail throughout Canada, US, and Mexico, he said. If we hear about one on the AMTRAK going up to Michigan day before yesterday, it might be a lead.

Stay on the lookout for a 'strange character' eating food on an Amtrak train. Height Unknown. Weight Unknown. Complexion Unknown. Hair Unknown. Distinguishing Characteristics Unknown. Method Unknown. Motive Unknown. Evidence Unknown. As reported by a random guest post.

Thanks for the "tip" Dave. Now, will you please stop talking about "those killings?" You're kind of freaking me out. :help:
Doesn't Biden take the train a lot?

Doesn't Biden take the train a lot?
Sheesh.

Edit: Either the mods or me little me deleted the post which this post quoted which was to a hateful Republican jab - not about Biden using the train.

I thought the Empire Builder tragedy was no longer a mystery. Seems to me I read, possibly at another site, that the man was intoxicated and had fallen off the train through a superliner door that he opened himself, either accidentally or on purpose.

But you missed the biggest clue. He also rides freights. As far as I know, the only passenger service in Mexico is a commuter line in Mexico City.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back