Auto Train discussion 2023 Q4 - 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we are traveling in a sleeper, can we access the coach cafe. Our daughter and family are traveling coach and we would like to be able to meet up with them.

A quick update on our recent Auto Train trip from Sanford to Lorton. We'd give this trip a B-. Our last one was an A.

First the good things: Arrived 15"early; had a good sleeper attendant -young, energetic, and friendly; everything worked in our sleeper with no rattles or broken things (but does need a refresh).

The not so good things: Took a long time to get our car (perhaps pre-holiday short staff)?; the dining car staff was terrible - unfriendly if not rude but we did get served for dinner even if the flat iron was over cooked. Att breakfast we left after being ignored for 10 minutes and were told we could not get the hot breakfast sandwich at the grab and go offerings in the lounge: lounge car attendant was indifferent at best.

Amtrak got the most important things right but it takes so little to provide efficient and friendly service. First time we haven't seen it on Auto Train. I completed the Amtrak survey accordingly. We had 16 passenger cars and 46 total with 453 passengers and dinner seatings at 5, 7, and 9.

A quick update on our recent Auto Train trip from Sanford to Lorton. We'd give this trip a B-. Our last one was an A.

First the good things: Arrived 15"early; had a good sleeper attendant -young, energetic, and friendly; everything worked in our sleeper with no rattles or broken things (but does need a refresh).

The not so good things: Took a long time to get our car (perhaps pre-holiday short staff)?; the dining car staff was terrible - unfriendly if not rude but we did get served for dinner even if the flat iron was over cooked. Att breakfast we left after being ignored for 10 minutes and were told we could not get the hot breakfast sandwich at the grab and go offerings in the lounge: lounge car attendant was indifferent at best.

Amtrak got the most important things right but it takes so little to provide efficient and friendly service. First time we haven't seen it on Auto Train. I completed the Amtrak survey accordingly. We had 16 passenger cars and 46 total with 453 passengers and dinner seatings at 5, 7, and 9.
I'm guessing there was no Chief on your trip? If there was, I would have shared my feelings with them before departing....

How long was “a long time to get our car? On a busy train, it can take 1.5-2 hours to unload all of the auto carriers. If you are one of the unlucky people whose cars are unloaded last, wait times of 2 hours or so are perfectly normal. There is really no way to prevent this possibility other than paying for priority offloading. If you did pay for that and still had to wait a long time, then there’s no excuse for that. Likewise I see no excuse for the other issues with the dining car staff you experienced.

On a busy train, it can take 1.5-2 hours to unload all of the auto carriers. If you are one of the unlucky people whose cars are unloaded last, wait times of 2 hours or so are perfectly normal
Yes, that has been our experience. I guess what aggravated me was as 1 1/2 hours approached only a few of the non priority cars had been unloaded. There most have been some problem with the switching process as there was a long delay between the first and second track being spotted.

But thankfully we were one of the ‘early’ ones. I think there were about 200 autos. No doubt our unpleasant on board experience didn’t help my mood. But AutoTrain was certainly worth it to avoid I-95!

AutoTrain was certainly worth it to avoid I-95!
After driving I-95 north from southern Florida last March for the first time in many years, I have to agree. (Normally we are limited to I-65 or I-75, however were visiting friends in the Vero Beach area.) I longingly look at the Auto Train every year but when the cost is added to getting to Lorton from here and from Sanford to our Florida "winter home" it's not an affordable option.

After driving I-95 north from southern Florida last March for the first time in many years, I have to agree. (Normally we are limited to I-65 or I-75, however were visiting friends in the Vero Beach area.) I longingly look at the Auto Train every year but when the cost is added to getting to Lorton from here and from Sanford to our Florida "winter home" it's not an affordable option.
We took the AT last year for the first time since 2013. Have to say, things have really changed. That being said, for us to travel round trip from NE PA to SW FL via train, it only costs us an extra $100 vs driving. That, of course, is riding coach, and bringing our own food with us.
Mrs Cuzzant no longer wants to hear me bee-itch at the crazies on the interstates, so we decided to try out the AT again. I have to be honest. We didn’t sleep all that great in either direction, but even in our early 70s we can do anything for 1 night.
We have 270 miles of driving to Lorton, and another 160 to reach SW FL. But we save over 800 miles each way by taking the AT. Normally, with driving, we would stay over 2 nights each way, need hotel rooms, gas and food for the trip. So that’s 4 nights lodging, driving ~2600 miles, 8 meals, and gas.
We can take the train for under $1000 RT vs $850-900 driving. The biggest plus is saving those 800 driving miles on the interstates.
We will be doing it again this snowbird season.

We took the AT last year for the first time since 2013. Have to say, things have really changed. That being said, for us to travel round trip from NE PA to SW FL via train, it only costs us an extra $100 vs driving. That, of course, is riding coach, and bringing our own food with us.
Mrs Cuzzant no longer wants to hear me bee-itch at the crazies on the interstates, so we decided to try out the AT again. I have to be honest. We didn’t sleep all that great in either direction, but even in our early 70s we can do anything for 1 night.
We have 270 miles of driving to Lorton, and another 160 to reach SW FL. But we save over 800 miles each way by taking the AT. Normally, with driving, we would stay over 2 nights each way, need hotel rooms, gas and food for the trip. So that’s 4 nights lodging, driving ~2600 miles, 8 meals, and gas.
We can take the train for under $1000 RT vs $850-900 driving. The biggest plus is saving those 800 driving miles on the interstates.
We will be doing it again this snowbird season.
I like your analysis. Unfortunately we're 600 miles from Lorton via I-81, which is not the most friendly highway in winter. On the other end we winter near the Alabama border, so a fairly long drive from Sanford. Even with hotels and gas, I-75/65 is a better alternative no matter how much I want to take the train.

I like your analysis. Unfortunately we're 600 miles from Lorton via I-81, which is not the most friendly highway in winter. On the other end we winter near the Alabama border, so a fairly long drive from Sanford. Even with hotels and gas, I-75/65 is a better alternative no matter how much I want to take the train.
I see your point and agree. Even though we have about the same distance to travel by car to our destinations, you taking the AT adds considerable driving (guessing about another ~800 km) to your trip to your place in FL.
It’s your drive from SFA to your place in panhandle that makes it untenable.

I often wonder what the ridership on AutoTrain would be if the origin had been farther north, to perhaps the Jessup, MD area (via CSX where they have an auto unloading facility and yard) to avoid the misery of the Washington metro area. Of course the question would be if it would be possible to extend the trip some 50 miles (1 1/2 hours?). The best turn time at destination for AutoTrain seems to be near 5 hours and it's currently allowed 7 hours. Everyting would have to work perfectly, which we know doesn't happen consistently. But it does look like CSX is getting their act together - at least for the last month.

Auto Train Permormance

Last edited:
I live in the Boston area, but come from NJ(metro NYC). I remember many years ago, my dad would take an Auto Train from NY to FL. It's a shame that this route has been eliminated. Living now in Boston (as a senior myself) wanted an option to get on the Amtrak Auto train here. Driving to Lorton, then using the Auto train is not an option that I can consider. Will they ever bring back more extensive routing? If there's only 1 Auto train route, why bother having the route at all!

I live in the Boston area, but come from NJ(metro NYC). I remember many years ago, my dad would take an Auto Train from NY to FL. It's a shame that this route has been eliminated. Living now in Boston (as a senior myself) wanted an option to get on the Amtrak Auto train here. Driving to Lorton, then using the Auto train is not an option that I can consider. Will they ever bring back more extensive routing? If there's only 1 Auto train route, why bother having the route at all!
Auto Train never went further north than Lorton even in its original iteration as a private company.

I’m far less knowledgeable that you folks, but I believe the reason the AT doesn’t travel farther N or NE is the height of the tunnels will not accommodate the Superliner II cars.
Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

I’m far less knowledgeable that you folks, but I believe the reason the AT doesn’t travel farther N or NE is the height of the tunnels will not accommodate the Superliner II cars.
Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.
That is correct. You also have to consider where would you build a load/unload facility in an area with very expensive real estate.

Have you ever considered taking the Maple Leaf to the Crescent to Birmingham then renting a car there?

Have you ever considered taking the Maple Leaf to the Crescent to Birmingham then renting a car there?
It has crossed my mind since we pass right through Birmingham and often even stay there in one direction or the other. The two factors that make it preferable to have one's own car are the amount of stuff that you have to take for an extended stay - not just clothing but kitchen supplies, etc. Then there's the post-pandemic issues with every aspect of car rentals from availability to cost to insurance. The Auto Train solves both problems, with the distances at either end being the deal-breaker when added to its ever-increasing price. A Midwest option would certainly help.

Now it’s nearly $4000 RT if staying in a bedroom, plus car both ways.
Nearly $4000? But you, like many others exaggerate. Not including vehicle costs, round trip fare in a Bedroom for two adults is $3250 and while that may be considered pricey by most, it's not nearly $4000.

Nearly $4000? But you, like many others exaggerate. Not including vehicle costs, round trip fare in a Bedroom for two adults is $3250 and while that may be considered pricey by most, it's not nearly $4000.
No exaggeration at all. Travelers must book their car, so that cost has to be included In the total cost.
RT costs: $3250 for the bedroom, and $570 for the car = $3820. As I said, nearly $4000.

If, however, you can manage to find low bucket bedrooms each way on the AT the grand total without priority car handling is only $2122.

But the high fare winner is a roundtrip on the EB for two adults for a measly $7,490 !!

Back