Auto Train discussion 2023 Q4 - 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, looks like I misread your post. Grand total is indeed nearly $4,000.
Not a problem.
If, however, you can manage to find low bucket bedrooms each way on the AT the grand total without priority car handling is only $2122.

But the high fare winner is a roundtrip on the EB for two adults for a measly $7,490 !!
We caught a flash sale last year, and snagged a SB bedroom for $524 during snowbird season. At that time we only need to pay an extra $334 on top of our initial coach price of $190. Of course that was before the new fare rate structure.
We can’t see spending over $3000 for a RT bedroom. We much rather spend that $$ on ourselves while snowbirding.

Well, a flexible schedule and planning ahead to avoid peak times helps. Our recent trip (Dec 22 northbound) in a bedroom cost $752 including auto.

And, while it may not equal the Florida Special days, all recent trips have been on time, no problems with sleeper and excellent attendants. Diner service can be uneven but good table mates and free wine made it enjoyable for us. All we talked with seemed to enjoy it as well (mostly those with second homes in FL or week long vacations for theme parks).

IMO suspect that Amtrak will expand the present Auto Train first before anything else. How you ask? The usual P-40s by all accounts have a HEP max output of 800 k Wats. That kW limits train lengths to about 17 - 18 Superliners. Siemens is using the same HEP inverter as ACS-64 of 1000 kWs in its new ALC-42s. Once Amtrak can get enough spare Superliners that might mean total number of 21 -22 maximum capacity when behind ALCs.

If all additional cars were coaches that might mean more than say 28 car carriers meeting the present 50 car length imposed by CSX. As well that might mean another loco for total of 3 to maintain Auto Train schedule. However, if in future Auto Train goes on the "S" line south of Petersburg then 3 locos will be needed.

IMO suspect that Amtrak will expand the present Auto Train first before anything else. How you ask? The usual P-40s by all accounts have a HEP max output of 800 k Wats. That kW limits train lengths to about 17 - 18 Superliners. Siemens is using the same HEP inverter as ACS-64 of 1000 kWs in its new ALC-42s. Once Amtrak can get enough spare Superliners that might mean total number of 21 -22 maximum capacity when behind ALCs.

If all additional cars were coaches that might mean more than say 28 car carriers meeting the present 50 car length imposed by CSX. As well that might mean another loco for total of 3 to maintain Auto Train schedule. However, if in future Auto Train goes on the "S" line south of Petersburg then 3 locos will be needed.
I don't believe the routing of the auto Train will change even after SEHSR is built. Aftewrall its speed limit won;t change so why eat up a slot on a higher speed line and require an additional loco to boot?

Thought Auto Train used "S" line south of Petersburg until CSX abandoned "S" line?
That does not imply it is going back there. South of Hamlet the track is lower grade passenger speed 60mph and single track all the way. And its vertical profile is higher energy than its current route. No reason to give up the superior slot and move to an inferior line.

The only long distance train that would likely make the shift is the Silver Star.
Hopefully that is correct but "IF" Amtrak starts another NYP - Florida train that could change or another train could take the "S" line. Since "S" line completion is at least 5 years away anything is just speculation.

Setting cost aside, the biggest advantage to the AT is the same as the advantage for me in commuting from N of NYC to NYC - If I fell asleep on the train ride home, the worst thing, I'd end up in Poughkeepsie. If I fell asleep on a drive home, worst case I'd never wake up again.

Auto train flash sale $35.00 for coach seating, details below

This offer ends February 8 - don't miss your chance to save big on Auto Train fares.
*Plus the cost of your vehicle
Key promotional details:
  • For sale: January 30 – February 8, 2024
  • For travel:
    • Northbound: February 1 – March 14, 2024
    • Southbound: February 19 – July 25, 2024
  • Advance Purchase: 1 Day advance purchase required.
  • Blackout Dates:
    • Northbound:
      • February 28 – March 3, 2024
    • Southbound:
      • None

I just called and got my e-voucher for $120.00 price adjustment for our March 8th trip from Sanford to Lorton.

They usually have a food truck since they no longer give coach passengers dinner. They also have a nice little gift shop with prepackaged sandwiches and snacks (all pricey).
I usually just pack food for dinner and snacks (we have a roomette, but I don't eat the dinner (allergies) sometimes my husband has the dinner but most often we just bring it with us.)

I have never seen any food trucks at Lorton Station. As stated above the gift shop has snacks, but very expensive.
We always go to the plaza across the road and pickup dinner at the Amazon Store before we go into the station.
You can get sandwiches, snacks, pop and they have a small buffet station within the store.

When I was last at the Lorton station a year ago, there were 2 food trucks . Inside the gift shop are pretty good prepackaged sandwiches and snacks. We get there early, check in , and then leave to go get lunch. Since we still remember the free wine and cheese tasting, I bring a collapsible cooler with wine, cheese and crackers. If I were going coach, I would add dinner items as the cafe car can run out. If you are going to get dinner in cafe car, do an early buy.

Thanks all. I stopped at the gas station across the street to stock up.
First time on the auto train. Was surprised I had to check in … almost missed it. I’m in the 9 pm dining time. Good thing I’ve got the gas station stuff
On the plus side, they had no problem driving my stick. Two years ago I was at a hotel with valet parking and they were like “they make cars like this?” My car sat on the curb outside for three days.

Last edited:
Across the street there is a fairly decent local chain restaurant called Glory Days Grill. You could probably have a good meal in there and then not be excessively hungry on board.
Across the road from the Lorton station is also a Panera Bread. We had lunch there before checking in, which worked out fine. We were riding in sleeper, so no problems with food on board.

Going north, we had lunch in downtown Sanford at The Colonial Room, where we had a nice fried fish sandwich, with fried okra on the side.

20230314_125049.jpg

The last time we were in Sanford, we went exploring and was shocked how big it is and what they have to offer. Before thought it Auto Train was the big deal in town and nothing more to offer. Lots of shopping and places to eat.

Will the Government shutdown on March 1st affect the AutoTrain? Has anyone had experience with this? Anything can happen, I just like to plan ahead if needed.

Will the Government shutdown on March 1st affect the AutoTrain? Has anyone had experience with this? Anything can happen, I just like to plan ahead if needed.
The shutdown is kicked down the road for another week or two. But I don't believe it affects Amtrak, at least in the short term. Not sure about longer term but even if there is a shutdown it's not likely to last more than a few weeks.

Back