Atlanta station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

creddick

Service Attendant
I was just looking at some pictures of the Atlanta Amtrak station on Google earth. Is it as run down and decrepit as it looks? If so, that is a horrible black eye on Hotlanta. What a shame. How is the neighborhood? Safe at all?

I was just looking at some pictures of the Atlanta Amtrak station on Google earth. Is it as run down and decrepit as it looks? If so, that is a horrible black eye on Hotlanta. What a shame. How is the neighborhood? Safe at all?
What kind of pictures are you looking at? I was just at the ATL station last sunday and it looks fine to me! There is a very nice Borders Bookstore, and a nice office building right across the street. I think there is a Kroger grocery store next to the Borders.. and a nice looking Kroger at that. I mean.. its downtown Atlanta, its as nice as a downtown major city can get. There are usually some iffy looking taxi drivers, thats about it.

It should also be mentioned that this is an original Southern Railway station... its nicely kept as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps not perfect... but decent for sure. There are several original wooden railway benches in the waiting room too.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3001/309170..._b8c56ba7e9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a lot to say about that station.

Tiny, it is. That is because it was built as a suburban station to supplement the two big downtown stations. It is over 75 years old, I think. Certainly no Amshack flung up 20 miles from nowhere.

It was known as the Peachtree Street Station by the Southern RR. It was called Brookwood Station by locals.

It is at the tip of the wealthy Buckhead part of ATL.

Thus, it at one time had a reputation for snobbery,people thinking it was built primarily for the wealthier northsiders.

The train which used to be called the Crescent was all sleeper from NYP to ATL. Thus, when it paused at the small station if was all sleepers. Coaches were not added to NOL until it got downtown Thus arose the incorrect reputation for being the station where sleeping cars passengers boarded, coaches had to board downtown.

The station is a lacking in may ways but it is a good sturdy building with an interesting history.

In my lifetime it has been adequate to serve 12 trains a day. Of course most people used the downtown station .So how loads compare to today I do not know.

Though it's not a rundown shack with "eyes" watching you from between broken boards, it's not exactly stellar for a city of our size either. It's hard to get to by road (if you're approaching from Atlanta, either have to navigate surface streets, or go up I-85, then back down GA-13), the transit connections are there, but not convenient (closest MARTA station requires a bus) with inadequate parking (only 1-hour parking AT the station, long-term at private places around with their permission). The station itself I personally find small with only restrooms for amenities (maybe some vending machines?) and could easily be crowded when train-time rolls around. Access to the platform is a long stairway-choke-point as noted in the "Crescent Breakfast" topic and from what I've seen of the platform, it's too narrow though length doesn't appear to be a problem.

Unfortunately, even if we did get a central station connected directly to MARTA's Five Points station, it won't be great either because that'd require lengthening the Crescent's schedule to either reverse in or out of the city, or even if the Beltline hadn't been hijacked by the stupid NIMBYs it'd still have to dip south to get into the center of the city. Unless there's an alternate route to Anniston or something, you're stuck digging south to get into the city.

Though it's not a rundown shack with "eyes" watching you from between broken boards, it's not exactly stellar for a city of our size either. It's hard to get to by road (if you're approaching from Atlanta, either have to navigate surface streets, or go up I-85, then back down GA-13), the transit connections are there, but not convenient (closest MARTA station requires a bus) with inadequate parking (only 1-hour parking AT the station, long-term at private places around with their permission). The station itself I personally find small with only restrooms for amenities (maybe some vending machines?) and could easily be crowded when train-time rolls around. Access to the platform is a long stairway-choke-point as noted in the "Crescent Breakfast" topic and from what I've seen of the platform, it's too narrow though length doesn't appear to be a problem.
Unfortunately, even if we did get a central station connected directly to MARTA's Five Points station, it won't be great either because that'd require lengthening the Crescent's schedule to either reverse in or out of the city, or even if the Beltline hadn't been hijacked by the stupid NIMBYs it'd still have to dip south to get into the center of the city. Unless there's an alternate route to Anniston or something, you're stuck digging south to get into the city.

But it did get and out of downtown ATL for years That is just what it was: a suburban station. The train then called the Southernor stopped there first and then did go into downtown ATL basically where the Richard Russell Building is today in that gulch. If I remember correctly, they did speed up the schedule when they stopped going downtown altogether and the suburban station became the only station.

I do not see any reason to get on Buford Highway, 13.

If from Atlanta be on I 75 or move over to it from I 85, drive under the station tracks and exit at Northside Drive. Turn left at top of the hill and cross over the freeway. Go downhill and slightly up and there is Deering Road. Take it up the hill to the left and you will soon be along side the station.

Coming south down I 75 ext Northside Drive, turn right at top of hill then go downhill and up, turn left on Deering Road.

Eastiest of all is coming south on I 85. Exit Peachtree Street sign. Loop over the freeway, drive under those railroad bridges mentioned a few weeks ago, zoom to the top of the hill and there is Peachtree and the station.

I do not know what tracks still exist. I just know they used to exist and I cannot help wander if freights are not still using them.

As said, the Southerner (which uses the route of today's Crescent through BHM) did stop at the small station then break away and go into town and out of town again to resume going south.Awkward as that sounds, it really did.

The former Crescent and Piedmont Limited, stopped at the small station, then went downtown. From there they continued south since they were headed for Montgomery and Mobile en route to NOL.

There was a train called the Sunnyland which orginated downtown, went over to the line to BHM but without stopping at the suburban stop. Also a train from Florida called the Kansas City Florida Special did the same thing.

So, what are freights doing today to cover this? I have no idea. I am not arguing that it would not be tremendous trouble to reinstate, just noting that it has been done. That is all.

Before I moved here I had similar visions of the Atlanta station based on what I had heard. I went there about a month ago, and it wasn't all that different from a station like Orlando. Seen better days, but still gets the job done. I also thought it was extremely removed from the downtown area, but it's just on the north side of Midtown. I drive under the platform every day (twice a day), and that's about 20% of my commute from downtown to where I live along the perimeter. If the station was at or outside the perimeter, I'd say it was inconvenient to town. But this one isn't in a terrible place. Is it downtown at GWCC like some would like to see? No. But it's by no means off the beaten path.

I guess I need to apologize to Bill and the Station, I know I come off sounding very harsh like you'd think it had creaky boards with "eyes" in the middle of the bad part of town, but my aim is to get a station improved upon what we have. If I ever get the time to write to the state concerning my opinion on building a new station downtown, I don't want to word it like I just want something in a different location that just works, because they may not see it having a value much improved over the current station. But if I make it would like I want a rival to WAS, and we only get a new station in downtown that just works, then I've still succeeded even if I "hit low" as opposed to what I'm talking about.

If this doesn't make much sense, I can provide a more coherent wording tomorrow morning :p

I guess I need to apologize to Bill and the Station, I know I come off sounding very harsh like you'd think it had creaky boards with "eyes" in the middle of the bad part of town, but my aim is to get a station improved upon what we have. If I ever get the time to write to the state concerning my opinion on building a new station downtown, I don't want to word it like I just want something in a different location that just works, because they may not see it having a value much improved over the current station. But if I make it would like I want a rival to WAS, and we only get a new station in downtown that just works, then I've still succeeded even if I "hit low" as opposed to what I'm talking about.If this doesn't make much sense, I can provide a more coherent wording tomorrow morning :p
There is no reason to want to rival WAS when you only have two trains a day. Write to the state about something logical like getting the Piedmont extended to Atlanta

For only seeing two trains a day, it serves its purpose. I've been there dozens of times since moving to the ATL area. It gets extremely crowded for the departure of train 20, but otherwise, it's functional. The location could actually be a lot worse. For comparison with another mega metro area, it beats the pants off of the Houston station. The agents there are generally very nice and it's a fairly cheap cab ride to many downtown hotels/businesses.

It needs on site rental cars and/or a connection to MARTA (if you did that, I wouldn't even mind taking the MARTA to the airport to get a car) for it to be considered "functional" in my mind.

It needs on site rental cars and/or a connection to MARTA (if you did that, I wouldn't even mind taking the MARTA to the airport to get a car) for it to be considered "functional" in my mind.

MARTA operates both the buses and the trains. The MARTA bus does stop directly in front of the station.it is about a 7 or 8 minutes ride on the MARTA bus to the MARTA train.

I guess I need to apologize to Bill and the Station, I know I come off sounding very harsh like you'd think it had creaky boards with "eyes" in the middle of the bad part of town, but my aim is to get a station improved upon what we have. If I ever get the time to write to the state concerning my opinion on building a new station downtown, I don't want to word it like I just want something in a different location that just works, because they may not see it having a value much improved over the current station. But if I make it would like I want a rival to WAS, and we only get a new station in downtown that just works, then I've still succeeded even if I "hit low" as opposed to what I'm talking about.If this doesn't make much sense, I can provide a more coherent wording tomorrow morning :p

It's ok, Matt. I probably come across as opposed to all progress and a worshipper of all things past.

Not so. I know it could be better and a downtown location would be neat.

Bu I happen to think that history helps us explain the present. I would not want anyone to think that Amtrak or Southern before that deliberately built a station they knew would be inadequate. What folly.

No---, it is what it is----- and this station was still standing when the others were no longe need. Which is not to to say it could not be better.I think we were lucky to have it, such as it is.

Getting into town and back, awkward as it sounds, really did happen even though I cannot tell you how it was done. I did not live here at that time. It was the Southerner which did that, same route as today. The Crescent and Piedmont Limited did go into town and proceded to Montgomery from there,and did not come back to the main as we know it today. I think surely freights must still go into town.

There's been some discussion of building a new station at Lenox and shuttering the existing one. It's much further from downtown, buti it's also closer to the geographic center of the region and therefore a better suburban complement to a future downtown station. Also there would be an extremely easy to transfer to/from MARTA.

Even if the MMPT downtown is ever built, it's likely that the Crescent won't be rerouted. So that means it will either continue to stop at the existing station on Peachtree Street, or else the new station at Lenox if it's ever built.

MARTA operates both the buses and the trains. The MARTA bus does stop directly in front of the station.it is about a 7 or 8 minutes ride on the MARTA bus to the MARTA train.
Yeah, I should have been more specific - connection to the train would be nice. Amtrak-Bus-Train-Airport Train (to rental cars)-Car is too much of a pain with a boatload of bags.

Yeah, I should have been more specific - connection to the train would be nice. Amtrak-Bus-Train-Airport Train (to rental cars)-Car is too much of a pain with a boatload of bags.

Agreed when you factor a boatload of bags into it, sure. I uually travel rather lightly.

There's been some discussion of building a new station at Lenox and shuttering the existing one. It's much further from downtown, buti it's also closer to the geographic center of the region and therefore a better suburban complement to a future downtown station. Also there would be an extremely easy to transfer to/from MARTA.
Even if the MMPT downtown is ever built, it's likely that the Crescent won't be rerouted. So that means it will either continue to stop at the existing station on Peachtree Street, or else the new station at Lenox if it's ever built.
There has also been discussion of moving the station to the general location of the former GM plant, to gain additional space for parking and to make connections to MARTA easier.

I do not see any reason to get on Buford Highway, 13.

If from Atlanta be on I 75 or move over to it from I 85, drive under the station tracks and exit at Northside Drive. Turn left at top of the hill and cross over the freeway. Go downhill and slightly up and there is Deering Road. Take it up the hill to the left and you will soon be along side the station.

Coming south down I 75 ext Northside Drive, turn right at top of hill then go downhill and up, turn left on Deering Road.

Eastiest of all is coming south on I 85. Exit Peachtree Street sign. Loop over the freeway, drive under those railroad bridges mentioned a few weeks ago, zoom to the top of the hill and there is Peachtree and the station.
Mr. Haithcoat, This is also my route to IKEA (aka another reason to drive by the station) so let me expand your directions a little.

Coming South on I85 you actually exit at 13 South (US?)/Peachtree Street. The South part always confused me, when I knew I wanted to go north on Peachtree. Follow the Amtrak sign. At the top of the very lengthy ramp, turn right on Peachtree Street (deadends there). Cross over I85 and the station is on the left.....Nice old architecture.

To continue to IKEA, continue to the bottom of the hill on Deering. Turn left at the stop sign. Right on the next street (don't cross the tracks which you can see ahead). Turn left at the next light. Up over the hill and IKEA (huge blue building)is on the right. I'm sure you knew that. If you're stuck in the area, IKEA is a good place to eat cheaply.

As Mr. Haithcoat says, this is not an area that should concern you much. 5 points (city center aka Downtown) concerns me. Brookwood (aka lower Buckhead or upper Midtown) does not.

J

As Mr. Haithcoat says, this is not an area that should concern you much. 5 points (city center aka Downtown) concerns me. Brookwood (aka lower Buckhead or upper Midtown) does not.
I would argue this to a degree. Going just a few blocks from Five Points makes a HUGE difference. If you're over near GWCC/CNN/Centennial the area isn't too bad. You've got a lot of foot traffic thanks to conventions, Turner, Omni, etc. so this would be a good location for a station, while being in the heart of downtown. Don't get me wrong, you won't see me hanging around Five Points or Underground, but a couple of blocks one way or the other makes a huge difference downtown (sadly).

Although not "onsite" an Enterprise Car rental office is a short distance away north of the station on 2151 PEACHTREE RD NE. They will pick you up at the station and have provided stellar service to me in the past. The only drawback is that the office is closed on Sunday and closes around noon on Saturday.

If you have checked luggage and traveling with a companion have your travel mate wait for the luggage and call for a courtesy pickup to the rental office when you arrive at the station. If you are lucky you can get your rental and be back at the train station at around the same time the luggage is ready. It takes a good 30 minutes or more for the luggage to be available for pickup.

The only drawback is that the office is closed on Sunday and closes around noon on Saturday.
This has been a hinderance to taking the train on more than one occasion (and not just in ATL). It's a darn shame, too.
Are you talking about the ATL station? There are trains Saturday night and Sunday night. How can they be closed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back