Amtrak Pets on Board Trial

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JR East, the master of handling huge crowds in frequent commuter and high speed trains allows pets that fit in carriers that are upto 90cm x70cm x70cm i.e. a bit larger than 3' x 2' x 2', and charge a hefty fee based on size of the carrier

On the subject of chihuahuas, a few years ago while on the TE, a woman got on at Fort Worth with her boyfriend, a baby, a young boy of about 10 years old, and a service chihuahua. I'm sure it was a service dog, because as we all know that only service dogs are allowed on Amtrak, right??
I had the great pleasure of seeing Tommy and Dick Smothers a year or so ago. Tommy told the story of being with a friend of his walking their dogs one day, when the friend said "Let's go in here for a drink". Tom told him they do not allow dogs in there, so the guy put on his sunglasses and told Tom to do the same and follow his lead. The guy went up to the door and when told dogs are not allowed said "This is my service dog, I cannot see" and was allowed to enter. Tom followed suit and told the doorman the same thing, the doorman replied "A chihuahua for a seeing-eye-dog?" Tom replied "They gave me a @#^%#*& CHIHUAHIA?!?!"

Then he started walking it around him on the leash.....the doorman asked "What the heck are you doing" to which he replied "Looking around".....

:giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
All of the folks here applauding this new service; I expect to see you volunteering to sit next to the folks who are bringing these pets on board, correct?

All of the folks here applauding this new service; I expect to see you volunteering to sit next to the folks who are bringing these pets on board, correct?
Absolutely, I have no problems sitting next to a crated pet. Heck, I'd have no problems sitting next to a 100lb great dane, but I'm not going to even suggest that that be allowed.

Absolutely, I have no problems sitting next to a crated pet. Heck, I'd have no problems sitting next to a 100lb great dane, but I'm not going to even suggest that that be allowed.
Good for you! Maybe you will get that opportunity. Now you know the routes you can do this on, and I hope they remain the only routes.

Absolutely. And the pet will be in a carrier underneath a seat!!!! You might not even notice it is there - like you do on a plane.

And I would just like to ask if you have flown domestically recently? There was probably a pet on your plane, too.

It cost her more to have the dog on board than her own ticket.
Wow. That is a lot.

But she was happy that she was able to take the dog along with her.

This might give you some idea of the potential revenue opportunity that Amtrak is currently ignoring. A full additional passenger revenue potentially for not even providing any space other than that under a seat!
From what I know of pet owners, she's not uncommon; people *will* pay more than double to have their pets travel. Practically every pet owner will pay the $25. Amtrak could probably charge more than $25 per pet, though I don't know how high the limit is -- $50 might be pushing it.

I'm sure my fiancee will selectively sit next to the dogs. I hope she doesn't decide that's nicer than sitting next to me. ;)

This is an enormously entertaining thread. Nobody takes animal issues as seriously as Americans do. (I'm one. An American, I mean, not an animal.)

Absolutely. And the pet will be in a carrier underneath a seat!!!! You might not even notice it is there - like you do on a plane.

And I would just like to ask if you have flown domestically recently? There was probably a pet on your plane, too.
I fly almost exclusively on SWA, when I have to fly, and no, there have not EVER been pets in the cabin of a plane I have ridden on. As severe as my ex's cat allergies were, she would have known if there were a cat in the cabin.

Just as an aside, while dogs and cats ARE allowed on most legacy air carriers, they are required to have a signed statement from a vet that the animal meets minimum health requirements (including no parasites) to fly. That does not seem to be the case for Amtrak's new experiment. It is up to the judgement of a conductor who has no animal health training.

Again, I hope this experiment is an epic failure.

Don't be so childish, Tony, honestly.
I wonder whatever happened to the guy who said "Disagree all you want but don't make a personal attack, amigo."?
That must have been meant for other people, not him, I suppose. LOL
I don't call my statement a personal attack.
You wouldn't, since you did it. It is only noticeable when it is done TO you, I suppose. Whatever..........the irony is palpable.............LOL

There's a difference between commenting on how someone is acting and attacking them personally.

I'm sure you're perfectly capable of holding a rational conversation, you're just not displaying it anywhere in the thread.

Whatever it takes to get a rise out of folks, I guess. I'm done with your trolling.

Golly, who knew that a thread about hamsters could turn into such a fight?

prize-fight1.jpg

I fly almost exclusively on SWA, when I have to fly, and no, there have not EVER been pets in the cabin of a plane I have ridden on. As severe as my ex's cat allergies were, she would have known if there were a cat in the cabin.

Just as an aside, while dogs and cats ARE allowed on most legacy air carriers, they are required to have a signed statement from a vet that the animal meets minimum health requirements (including no parasites) to fly. That does not seem to be the case for Amtrak's new experiment. It is up to the judgement of a conductor who has no animal health training.

With allergies that bad, I'm surprised that they don't get set off by sitting next to someone that owns a cat. Pretty much everything I own is covered in dog hair, especially my winter coat. And Southwest does allow pets on board, I stand by my statement that you have probably flown on a plane with them and not even noticed it.

Golly, who knew that a thread about hamsters could turn into such a fight?

prize-fight1.jpg
LOL! Thanks for the humor injection!

You are right. I apologize to the board for allowing myself to be dragged down to this tit-for-tat, from folks who have posted in this thread that they agree with my position, but just seem to enjoy trying to seem superior with "Don't be XXXXX" comments, and the like.

In post # 90 one said " I've argued against pets onboard in the past. Other peoples pets annoy me, particularly dogs."

I agree!

In post # 15 one said "Frankly, if pet carrying is done it should be done in a special room in a baggage car. People are allergic to pets, you know. And what do you do if someone's dog won't stop barking? The babies are bad enough."

I also agree!

So, I suppose I will just thank them for agreeing with my position on this subject and appreciate that. Thanks, fellas, you're the best!

With allergies that bad, I'm surprised that they don't get set off by sitting next to someone that owns a cat. Pretty much everything I own is covered in dog hair, especially my winter coat. And Southwest does allow pets on board, I stand by my statement that you have probably flown on a plane with them and not even noticed it.
I am glad you know so much about my flying experiences, and my ex's allergies.

Since service animals are already allowed, the issues relative to allergies to dogs/cats/whatever is not really valid. The animals can already be there. Most service animals are well above the 20 pound animal as well. Just because Fido stayed home does not mean the Fido-owner did not have some quality lap time with Mutsky for a goodly time before leaving or give the hound a good hug and experience a good face licking just before walking out the door. Since exposure to an animal that sets off the allergy can be and probably usually is unexpected, the person must always be prepared with an epi-pen or whatever their short acting anti-allergy medicine is. And as noted, the exposure could be second hand, not direct exposure.

The reason that pet carrying ended was two fold: One, the SPCA and others got regulations put in force requiring climate control and other features not practical on trains. The other was slob pet owners. The restrictions on carrying animals in baggage cars is close to being an example of the saying that, "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."

Sarah, as to not subjecting a pet to carriage in airport baggage compartments, that is not as simple a decision as it may seem. We did it three times. First, was a transpacific move. Our 16 year old dog had never know life with anybody else and was thoroughly bonded with the family. The final decision was that bringing her with us was the better choice. It took here a couple of weeks to forgive us, but she ultimately did. The other was a four hour trip each way after a not so happy for her experience at a pet motel, and not a cheap one, either. Being able to carry her in a cage or on a leash for a 4 hour trip would have saved several weekends of car rental.
Having to stab your self with an epi pen all throughout a trip is a joke.
And a ridiculous, ludicrous and preposterous requirement for anyone to have to go through just so Fluffy can be close to Mommy.
So we should ban pets from being outside at all? People with allergies might encounter them anywhere so if they were that allergic, they would have their epi-pens with them anyways!
And then they get away from the allergen as quickly as possible, after the one time use of the pen. If you are boxed into a moving steel tube, it is difficult to get away from the allergen, especially on a sold out train where there is no alternative seating in a car without pets traveling. Would you be happy to give up your seat by a window to move to an aisle seat nest to a yapping dog with dander/ fleas all around it?
When someone uses that pen, they have to go to the hospital anyways so guess what? That means they are moving away from the allergen.
Seen any hospitals inside an Amtrak train lately?
The ambulance will meet the train at the next grade crossing. *facepalm*
That' s great. Lets delay the train making all pax late, so little Fluffy gets to ride the train. Not to mention the person who has to get off the train in the middle of BFE, because Mommy can't bear to leave little Fluffy at home.

I hope this experiment is an epic failure.
Where is BFE? I am not familiar with that station code, & it's not listed anywhere on Amtrak's site.
Between Cairo and Centralia Il

I wonder how involved Illinois was in getting this done. Another side effect of PRIIA giving the states more control over their short-distance routes? In any case, it's deeply silly that at least the short-distance trains don't allow pets. I imagine the results of this test will lead to the same policy being applied systemwide.

Something being missed, it seems: There'll be a specific "pet car" on these trains. If someone has an objection to (or an allergy) pets, they can avoid that car. I suspect this means everyone with a service animal will be placed in that car too. So this could actually be a net positive for people with allergies, since they can avoid where all the animals are.

Something being missed, it seems: There'll be a specific "pet car" on these trains. If someone has an objection to (or an allergy) pets, they can avoid that car. I suspect this means everyone with a service animal will be placed in that car too. So this could actually be a net positive for people with allergies, since they can avoid where all the animals are.
If this is true, that is good, and a lot of this thread will be superfluous. I did not see that in the original post, though. Can you provide a link or clarification, please? Thanks !

EDIT: The Journalist is correct, the service notice DOES say that a specific car will be designated as a "pet car". This will alleviate most problems for those who have allergies and/or a predisposition to avoiding these animals. That makes this plan FAR more palatable to me.

I apologize to any and all who saw this notation and were basing their support on that, while I missed it. And a HUGE thank you to "The Journalist" for pointing it out.

I do, however, still hope it fails. That "slippery slope" thing, ya know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back