Amtrak Pets on Board Trial

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In post # 90 one said " I've argued against pets onboard in the past. Other peoples pets annoy me, particularly dogs."
The difference is I'm not trying to impose my likes on the traveling public. If faced with the unlikely situation where I'm stuck next to an annoying pet, I'll deal with it like a rational, mature adult.

Just as an aside, while dogs and cats ARE allowed on most legacy air carriers, they are required to have a signed statement from a vet that the animal meets minimum health requirements (including no parasites) to fly. That does not seem to be the case for Amtrak's new experiment. It is up to the judgement of a conductor who has no animal health training.
No, but a vet does.

Also on the service notice:

"Passengers will be required to certify that pet is up to date on vaccinations and accepts liability for animal."

Animals in the pet car, kids in the nursery car, and adults in the bar car. Everybody wins.
Where do I sign the petition to get Amtrak to add a bar car?

I'd love to have a bar where liquor is served out of real bottles not those silly little "singles." Come to think of it, the bar is one of my favorite parts of the Pacific Parlour Cars!

Last edited by a moderator:
All of those definitions can mean the same thing, but if you can't handle both of us winning I'll just concede :)
Don't you dare concede. I want to argue all day over the inane differences in similar words because I am REALLY bored!
Arguing makes my blood pressure go up! :unsure: :lol:
Oh, I like it I like it. Let's have a medical study on how arguing can counteract the pressure drop in anaphylaxis.

[medref-20134902] Study confirms that getting patient into an argument improves blood pressure and survival in early-stage anaphylactic shock.

Thanks for the smiles

Actually the allergy argument seems weak. Yeah, weak.

Why should Amtrak, or any other carrier, defend all passengers against sniffles and sneezes, and all allergens, which for some folks is many things.

"It's everywhere, it's everywhere" not possible.

For the pet haters - I sympathize - but the main problem is with the owners -- most pet owners are rational - some more so than their "pets".

Some pet-lovers are insane.

Hoping (and expecting) that the process results in reasonable rules.

Oh, I like it I like it. Let's have a medical study on how arguing can counteract the pressure drop in anaphylaxis.

[medref-20134902] Study confirms that getting patient into an argument improves blood pressure and survival in early-stage anaphylactic shock.

Thanks for the smiles
This seems fitting for both this conversation AND this thread:

http://youtu.be/kQFKtI6gn9Y

I have a rather significant cat allergy, which is a nasty problem because our daughter and son-in-law have three cats. About an hour after being in their home I start to feel the tightness, and about an hour later it is cough and wheeze city. Once stirred up, the cough and wheeze can hang on for several weeks. It a price worth paying to visit our kid.

Last year I boarded a transcon flight, and as I was settling in, here comes a gentleman on board with a cat in a carrier. Naturally, he and little Fluffy sit right next to me. Yikes! Nearly six hours next to a cat, and my rarely-used inhaler was in my bag in the overhead. Much to my surprise, I had no issues whatsoever. I'm not sure if it was the breed of cat or the fact that it was just the cat and not then entire environment that had the dander, but six hours later, I got off the plane and was fine.

Allergies vary all over the lot. In my case, just having a cat nearby turned out to not be an issue, and I thought it would be. Being in an environment that has cats 24/7 and dander everywhere is. One datapoint, for what it is worth. I'm sure others could have different reactions.

By the way, last year I needed a cat-scan. I mentioned to the tech that I was allergic to cats and wondered if that would be an issue. The tech looked at me like I was nuts until I smirked slightly (I can be very deadpan with my off-the-wall humor). My wife just shook her head (used to it). A little gallows humor.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of the folks here applauding this new service; I expect to see you volunteering to sit next to the folks who are bringing these pets on board, correct?
Frankly that could not be much worse than some of the humans that one get to sit next to at times. :p Personally I'd have no problem sitting next to someone who has a dog in a carrier which is sitting under the seat any more than I'd have a problem sitting next to a person with a bag under the seat. Indeed it would be less disruptive on the whole than sitting next to a person with a baby yelling his/her heart out throughout the journey.

By the way, last year I needed a cat-scan. I mentioned to the tech that I was allergic to cats and wondered if that would be an issue. The tech looked at me like I was nuts until I smirked slightly (I can be very deadpan with my off-the-wall humor). My wife just shook her head (used to it). A little gallows humor.
LOL

Never seen a more calm, serene chihuahua in my life. Never a yip, as I said, from the time the train was held up at Fort Worth so she and her entourage could board the train with enough luggage to have serviced an entire Army platoon, until she got off in California (Ontario, I think). The dog was absolutely no problem
Yellow labs are great service and rescue animals, used in all types of work. However, not ours. Buddy? So hyper, he jumps vertically about 4 feet in the air. If he were a guide dog he would have washed out in the first week, or pulled his handler straight into a bush while chasing a squirrel.

On the other hand, I don't like chihuahuas - too yappy and high strung. Till I found one wandering on our block (with tags but call to phone number didn't answer). I held him while going house to house, and he never wiggled or gave me any trouble. Louie is his name.

What kind of dog can fit inside a carrier that can fit underneath an airline seat? I can barely get my laptop to fit down there.
You must have a big laptop. There is space under the airline seat in front of you. But put a pet carrier under the seat and there is little room for your feet or laptop bag/briefcase.

The information sheet on the carry-on pet program states that maximum size of the pet carrier is 19" long x 14" wide x 10.5" high. Which appears to be a typical max size for airline carry-on pet carriers, if not a little larger. A search for airline pet carriers turns up a lot of models, including carriers with wheels.

Personally I'd have no problem sitting next to someone who has a dog in a carrier which is sitting under the seat any more than I'd have a problem sitting next to a person with a bag under the seat. Indeed it would be less disruptive on the whole than sitting next to a person with a baby yelling his/her heart out throughout the journey.
Please let me know when you come across a barking, whining or howling bag. TIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back