Amtrak Pets on Board Trial

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The information sheet on the carry-on pet program states that maximum size of the pet carrier is 19" long x 14" wide x 10.5" high. Which appears to be a typical max size for airline carry-on pet carriers, if not a little larger. A search for airline pet carriers turns up a lot of models, including carriers with wheels.
Are those for in cabin use? Airlines do have a pet carried in larger carriers in hold program too, and I have seen some pretty enormous carriers travel that way.

Personally I'd have no problem sitting next to someone who has a dog in a carrier which is sitting under the seat any more than I'd have a problem sitting next to a person with a bag under the seat. Indeed it would be less disruptive on the whole than sitting next to a person with a baby yelling his/her heart out throughout the journey.
Please let me know when you come across a barking, whining or howling bag. TIA.
That is an interesting point, since I have seen smallish dogs being surreptitiously carried on many Amtrak trains just tucked away out of the range of prying eyes of the staff. Things work fine as long as there is no commotion. I suspect the ones doing so perhaps medicate the pup to keep 'em quiet or something. I have never seen one get caught, and even if noticed, ever get removed from the train. So to some extent this is just going to make something that happens quite a bit anyway, just come under the fold of rules, thus adding an ability to charge for it, etc.

That is an interesting point, since I have seen smallish dogs being surreptitiously carried on many Amtrak trains just tucked away out of the range of prying eyes of the staff. Things work fine as long as there is no commotion. I suspect the ones doing so perhaps medicate the pup to keep 'em quiet or something. I have never seen one get caught, and even if noticed, ever get removed from the train. So to some extent this is just going to make something that happens quite a bit anyway, just come under the fold of rules, thus adding an ability to charge for it, etc.
That's the thing about this policy - I'm sure it will work fine, when everything works fine.

But the propensity of "Everything working fine" is much less on AMTRAK than on other transportation mediums. And the potential for this is MUCH MUCH higher on Amtrak than on Airlines. Nobody takes their dog out of the crate on a plane to walk him because we're stopped for a crew change en route, and the dog gets away, etc. Of course, YMMV.

I just fail to see how big the reward is for the risk.

I've carried big dogs in aircraft cabins, not in crates but on leashes, before without any issue. That being said they were military working dogs with their highly trained handlers.

Relevance to this discussion: probably none, just thought I'd throw it out there though.

takes their dog out of the crate on a plane to walk him because we're stopped for a crew change en route, and the dog gets away, etc. Of course, YMMV.
I would think if the dog was left behind smoking a cigarette on a station stop that he would have to catch the next day's train.

Pre-Amtrak, our dog got loose at a stop while my sisters had him out for a break. The conductor came and told my mom that if she didn't catch him within xx minutes, the train would leave without him. My mom was able to get him back on the train before it left.

I have no problem with the train leaving dog (& owner) behind if the dog gets loose and cannot be caught/boarded before the train needs to leave.

This should not be a problem with the current pet policy as the pets are to be in carriers and would hopefully stay in their carriers for the duration just like they would need to in an airplane.

Pets aren't people, they belong in the baggage car.
No, but they are living, breathing creatures, so I would not want them somewhere that isn't climate-controlled and somewhere I wouldn't have access to them to check on them to make sure they are okay. If you wouldn't put a human in a baggage car, then an animal doesn't belong there either.
Do you get to check on a pet on a plane?
I have never taken my pets on a plane. If I did, they would be under my seat.

If they were not allowed under the seat and had to fly in the cargo hold, I would not take them on a plane. You know why? Because they are live creatures and should not be treated like suitcases. Like humans, they are sensitive to cold and heat and need to be fed and watered.

Additionally, if there were an emergency, I would have no way to rescue them (from the cargo hold or baggage car). If they're under my seat, I can grab them and go.

My original point remains: humans do not travel in cargo/baggage, so neither should pets.

When you have a pet, you are responsible for its health and safety. Anyone who has the attitude "it's just a dog/cat" should never, ever own a pet. Pets are not a piece of furniture or a decorative item. If you wouldn't put your kid in the baggage car along with some food/water bowls, why would you put your pet back there?
+++++++ Thank you, Sarah!

BFE is an Obscene abbreviation used by Some in thecMillitary,Athletes,People from New Jersey/New York and other uneducated types but not Texans! LOL

Bum F**** Egypt means in the Middle of Nowhere!(Sanderson, Texas would be a good example)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so this thread is now up to 211 posts after only a couple of days. Pets and the AutoTrain are surefire hot topics! :lol:

Here is my fearless prediction. After the pilot trial, a policy of carry-on pets will be sequentially implemented to the NEC and across most state supported corridor trains over a period of months or a year with a new $25 surcharge option added to the on-line reservation system. The world will not end, people will adjust, people with allergies will not asphyxiate on the trains, the occasional pet will get loose resulting in entertaining views and stories of the owner trying to catch their cat or dog, and Amtrak will make some extra revenue. A year after carry-on pets are allowed, it will be considered routine and non-controversial. :cool:

Ok, so this thread is now up to 211 posts after only a couple of days. Pets and the AutoTrain are surefire hot topics! :lol:

A year after carry-on pets are allowed, it will be considered routine and non-controversial. :cool:
Sort of like flowers on the tables!

This should not be a problem with the current pet policy as the pets are to be in carriers and would hopefully stay in their carriers for the duration just like they would need to in an airplane.
You know what they say, hope in one hand, s@&t in the other, and see which fills up first. ;)

I just see people not equating "plane behavior" with "train behavior", and have nothing wrong with taking fluffy out for "a little loving" while sitting on a siding somewhere waiting for whatever, and all that having the cat out of the bag (so to speak) ensuing accordingly.

What kind of dog can fit inside a carrier that can fit underneath an airline seat? I can barely get my laptop to fit down there.
With the IFE box under the seat in front of me on most of the flights I take I can barely get my feet and legs to fit under there.

Actually, the Auto Train could be a target service to consider allowing the carriage of dogs and cats. People that would like to use Auto Train but don't because their pets aren't currently allowed, would very likely be interested to book a trip with Auto Train. Allowing pets on Auto Train could be a huge plus for many travelers and an increase in revenue, attracting new and repeat business for Amtrak.

Snowbirds HATE to leave their pets at home and many don't want to drive from Virginia to Florida or other long distances IE: New York to Florida, in order to have a vehicle and pets at their destination,

I hope they put all the pets on the AutoTrain. That would be great. Then I can avoid them by riding the Silvers.

Was in the LAUS Metro Lounge last night and someone had a dog on a leash in there (boxer/terrier type...don't know my breeds). When we got ready to catch the tram car he carried a large soft sided carrier that leaked some sort of liquid. He was in the lounge before we got there so don't know if anything got said. Thinking he must be planning on keeping the dog in a room. Feel sorry for persons coming after him in that room.

It could have been a water dish. They make portable water bowls that fold up along with water dishes that hook to the inside of the door.

Update: The dog was carried in arms into the dining car and was put under the table except when he would go out into the aisle.

Update: The dog was carried in arms into the dining car and was put under the table except when he would go out into the aisle.
He could be a seizure dog. If the staff didn't say anything, especially when it was that obvious, then there's a good chance the passenger notified Amtrak during booking. Not all service animals wear special scarves/jackets.

There was a really great, informative post about this a while back, written by someone who trains service dogs. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back