Amtrak ONLY Rail Transit to Not Allow Pets!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been nearly 30 years since I traveled with a pet on an airplane, but when I did, the airlines that allowed pets in cabin had specific limits (it was one or two pets per cabin total) and these had to be reserved in advance. If you showed up for a flight with an unreserved pet and the pet slots for that flight were already booked, your pet would not fly in cabin. So, if you are planning to fly with your pet in cabin this summer, best to book as early as possible.

It's been nearly 30 years since I traveled with a pet on an airplane, but when I did, the airlines that allowed pets in cabin had specific limits (it was one or two pets per cabin total) and these had to be reserved in advance. If you showed up for a flight with an unreserved pet and the pet slots for that flight were already booked, your pet would not fly in cabin. So, if you are planning to fly with your pet in cabin this summer, best to book as early as possible.
Thanks! I did see that on a couple airlines' websites, and they even listed the number of slots available. The second we know when we're moving, I'll book the flight.

Betty - not an option. I don't want them out of my sight. :) /overprotective mom

After reading all these posts about ####ing CATS, THANK you Amtrak for not allowing any pets aboard, now, lets work on the great unwashed.
Hey. This topic is super old and had been beating a dead horse for a while. It was time to devolve into friendly chatter. ;)

After reading all these posts about ####ing CATS, THANK you Amtrak for not allowing any pets aboard, now, lets work on the great unwashed.
Hey. This topic is super old and had been beating a dead horse for a while. It was time to devolve into friendly chatter. ;)'
Stirring the pot a little....

'The great unwashed' isn't friendly chatter in my book - I assume this means coach pax.

Having taken my last 6 trips (since Jan.) in sleepers, there is a lot of 'great unwashed' spillover in accommodations if you ask me.

I haven't written my trip report yet but on the EB, the drunk Williston worker who wasn't put under control until 2am by 2 conductors and then, he was just told to be quiet - that dude DID NOT know how to sing. :p

Then the tall dude with a pony tail (I do like that look on the right guy, btw) who wore a long skirt the whole way (I do NOT like that look on any guy, btw). :p

Not exactly a 'first class' experience for me. :giggle:

Joanie - by "friendly chatter", I meant the bits about cats. I was defending my off-topic posts. :)

Joanie - by "friendly chatter", I meant the bits about cats. I was defending my off-topic posts. :)
You don't have to defend your off-topic posts and definitely not to me, that's one of the reasons I come here.

Your chatter is always friendly and welcome too. :)

This ancient topic turned into a fun conversation with some good information thrown in too.

On a serious note though, I really hate that 'unwashed etc.' term when some refer to coach pax.

Now, on an even more serious note....

MOAR CATZ on trains or not!

or... how about a cat with his own station and train?

Tama the cat and the Cat Train! :giggle:

tamasuper_zpse6334e78.jpg

tamatrain_zpsb623bb54.jpg

Hey Now! That's an Idea, the Pets can have their Own Train and Humans will be Banned! :giggle:

That was wild! I didn't see any kitties though!

You don't have to defend your off-topic posts and definitely not to me, that's one of the reasons I come here.

Your chatter is always friendly and welcome too. :)

This ancient topic turned into a fun conversation with some good information thrown in too.

On a serious note though, I really hate that 'unwashed etc.' term when some refer to coach pax.

Now, on an even more serious note....

MOAR CATZ on trains or not!

or... how about a cat with his own station and train?

Tama the cat and the Cat Train! :giggle:

That was wild! But I didn't see any real kitties!

For what it's worth, I'd be okay with pets on trains, even though I'm allergic to dogs. I just don't see how it's feasible or how it could be comfortable for the animals, especially if you had a bunch. I suppose they could do it like the airlines do, with a set number of pets allowed per train. Say, two in each Coach car and two in each sleeper car. But then you'd have to adjust the schedules so the dogs would have potty/walk breaks, and the cats would have to stay on a leash and harness or in their crate, which really sucks when it's a long trip. Plus, I have no idea how we'd have room for me, my boyfriend, two cats, a litter pan, their crates, food bowl, and water bowl in a roomette. ;) And in Coach? No way. I know they have absorbent padding for carriers and little travel dishes for their crates, but there's just no way I could do that to them. Flights are only several hours (or 12-ish if overseas), but trains can be 2-3 days.

No. Absolutely not. The kitties do not and will not leave our sight. They'll be in the cabin with us. I won't fly with an airline that doesn't allow that.
Additionally, we'll be moving in the summer, from the Midwest to California, so it'll probably be waaaayyy too hot. I doubt any pets would be allowed in cargo on most airlines, since they tend to deny them if the forecast reaches 85 degrees. That's pretty easy to do when you have a day that's 80 degrees with 90% humidity. :p

I've found a few carriers who allow pets in the cabin for a fee. I just have to make sure Sherlock can stand up straight and turn around in an airline carrier, which is a requirement. He's a big kitty. :) I'm trying to get him to sit straight up while I measure him, but he won't stand still. He wants to play with the measuring tape. ;)

20le7c.jpg
Cute cat. We used to have a friendly one that was more like a dog when it came to socializing w/ people. The current one is a plain killer. Rodents and birds enter our yard at their own risk and many don't make it out alive.

Dan

In the 70's, Amtrak allowed pets on their trains if you purchased a roomette. What changed?

Correct, and IIRC there was a law passed setting certain requirements for baggage cars to be climate controlled, meet standards, carry water etc. that was not accompanied by any funding. I believe Amtrak was facing complaints from passengers and cleanliness issues in the sleepers as well, so all pet carriage was discontinued.

Really, it's not practical to carry animals by train. Loads of problems, pets bothering folks, litter issues, dogs running off at rest stops,allergies, etc. etc. I'm a cat and dog owner but agree it's best not to go there. If Amtrak has extra funds lying around (ha!) the money would be more wisely spent buying engines and passenger cars.

I can see ONE scenario where Amtrak could try pet travel to see if it would work: a kennel car. NO pets in coaches or sleepers, just part of one car (like the old kids areas or arcades). You'd pay for pet passage in a kennel, just like you'd pay for a kennel at home, or a seat on a train. The pet would have to stay locked in the kennel during the trip (no trips to your sleeper). It probably wouldn't cost much to retrofit one part of a car with shelves & crates if they wanted to try it out. However, I'm pretty sure that the fees involved would be similar to a normal adult passenger ticket, & price most people out of it.

I can see ONE scenario where Amtrak could try pet travel to see if it would work: a kennel car. NO pets in coaches or sleepers, just part of one car (like the old kids areas or arcades). You'd pay for pet passage in a kennel, just like you'd pay for a kennel at home, or a seat on a train. The pet would have to stay locked in the kennel during the trip (no trips to your sleeper). It probably wouldn't cost much to retrofit one part of a car with shelves & crates if they wanted to try it out. However, I'm pretty sure that the fees involved would be similar to a normal adult passenger ticket, & price most people out of it.
So lets start a 'wish list'

1. 'Kennel Car'?'

2. 'Hot Tub Car'?

3. 'Smoking Car'?

I would be happy if there are enough Sleeper Cars, Dining Cars, Engines, and Baggage Cars to cover existing routes, although we can always wish for other things.

If you have a kennel car that is devoted only to non-passenger carrying, then it might work. Otherwise, the howling among multiple dogs would be a major disturbance to other passengers in that car. And still, that car would have to be heated and air conditioned, which means a standard baggage car would not qualify.

I must correct myself: Eurostar also has an arbitrary and absurd prohibition. Euroshuttle doesn't. Neither do domestic trains in the UK. Or France.

Most long-distance trains in other countries (Canada, Russia) require "kennel" travel in baggage cars. Some say "coach only", some say "sleeper only". Most short-distance trains simply allow small pets in proper hard-sided carriers.

I must correct myself: Eurostar also has an arbitrary and absurd prohibition. Euroshuttle doesn't. Neither do domestic trains in the UK. Or France.
Most long-distance trains in other countries (Canada, Russia) require "kennel" travel in baggage cars. Some say "coach only", some say "sleeper only". Most short-distance trains simply allow small pets in proper hard-sided carriers.
So, as you said, pets are not allowed on "EVERY OTHER RAIL SERVICE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD". More specifically, Sunchaser pointed out the following:

Here is a list of what trains allow dogs-and their restrictions.http://www.pettravel.com/passports_europetrain.cfm
It really sounds like each country has set its own laws, depending on the conditions and needs of that particular country. In general, they range from "not allowed" to "allowed if they're muzzled & leashed / in a carrier", with lots of provisions for travel fees, extra cleaning fees, and the needs/desires of fellow passengers. There's nothing unanimous about pets on trains - it sounds like every country and region is different.

As you said, many countries that have long distance trains (like most of the US) have kennel cars. I'm not adverse to that, and I'm sure most people wouldn't be, as long as it didn't bother them. Perhaps, if demand is increasing, it's something Amtrak could look into. However, as Sunchaser also said, Amtrak has a hard enough time obtaining & maintaining enough cars for its human passengers, let alone the pets!

Honestly, I think the reason Amtrak was able to get away with a blanket prohibition for so long is that Amtrak was unpopular.

Eurostar was able to get away with its prohibition for a long time because until recently the UK basically didn't allow pets into the country (out of worries about disease).

In countries where trains are a normal mode of transportation, there is some arrangement made for common and easy-to-deal-with pets, because lots of people have pets. I believe it's solely because trains were considered marginal and unimportant in the US that Amtrak has been able to maintain a blanket prohibition.

Long-distance trains will probably continue to be considered marginal and unimportant for quite a while, so Amtrak could probably maintain the prohibition there. Short corridor trains are NOT marginal OR unimportant and that's where the prohibition is most problematic.

I don't mind the idea of a kennel car, but as a dog owner, I would never use one. I don't even use a regular kennel when I go out of town. My dog stays with a dog sitter either in my home or her home when I am out of town. My dog would get too stressed out being in a kennel and I wouldn't put him through that, just as I personally wouldn't put my dog through the stress of flying as cargo on a plane. So I just don't see how a kennel car could ever be profitable on amtrak, because so many pet owners would dismiss the idea without a second thought.

The pet industry is a huge and growing industry - and there are lots of folks like me that are child-free by choice that don't hesitate to spend thousands of dollars on our pets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back