Amtrak ONLY Rail Transit to Not Allow Pets!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to bring my little dogs on a trip with me. They do travel long distances in the car with us but we do get out every couple hours. We do usually one or two train trips a year and it is sad that we have to leave them but I think they would be miserable not being able to "go out" for many hours on a train. We also do other trips that they can go with us.

Below are the requirements for in-cabin pets on one airline.

• The cat or dog must be completely inside the pet carrier and be able to stand up and move around the carrier with ease.
  • Pets must be secured in the pet carrier at all times while in the gate area, during boarding/deplaning, and they must remain in the carrier for the entire duration of the flight.
  • The under-seat dimensions are as follows:Window Seat: 19"L x 14"W x 8.25"H
  • Middle Seat: 19"L x 19"W x 8.25"H
  • Aisle Seat: 19"L x 14"W x 8.25"H

• The animals must be harmless, not disruptive, odorless, and require no attention during flight.
  • There will be no more than five (5) scheduled pet carriers per scheduled flight.
These would have to be very small pets to be able to stand in 8.25". By not disruptive, I would read quiet. If the above rules were strictly adheared to, I would have no problem with the policy. At least on a train, pets who are not compliant can be put off the train. Not so easy with an airplane.

I've seen several replies that suggest a time limit to the rule. As a smart ### I have to ask, what happens when a train is delayed, lets say it's at 7 hours, one hour over the 6 hour rule, do you start throwing dogs and cats out the door ? :eek:
Ticketed time, ticketed time.
Anyway, I specifically suggested 6 hours because it's clear which train the author of the bill is planning to ride. :)

I've seen several replies that suggest a time limit to the rule. As a smart ### I have to ask, what happens when a train is delayed, lets say it's at 7 hours, one hour over the 6 hour rule, do you start throwing dogs and cats out the door ? :eek:
Anyway, I specifically suggested 6 hours because it's clear which train the author of the bill is planning to ride. :)
What happens when a plane is delayed on the tarmac or circling with pets inside the cabin?

You can buy pads and such to line the kennel so it absorbs liquid and smells. Most animals won't eliminate for several hours anyway, similar to leaving them home while you work and then letting them out to the yard when you get home. Additionally, when animals are nervous, they tend to avoid eliminating, eating, and drinking. Whenever I move my cats to a new home, they don't eat, drink, or use their litter for about 12 hours or more.

Since I hate doing that to them, I would never travel with them. The only time they're going to travel is when we move cross-country, and even then, we have a pretty good plan in place (finally) that will make it as easy and relaxing as possible for them.

I know dogs tend to be much better travelers, but I still wouldn't put them in a kennel in some kind of animal car for that long. That's just me, though. I'd rather take the dog in the car with me if it loves car rides (and I think most do).

What happens when a plane is delayed on the tarmac or circling with pets inside the cabin?
I recall being on a plane which was delayed in takeoff on the tarmac for SIX HOURS. Yes, with pets in the cabin. They just deal with it.

I will share an experience on the CS on May 18, KLA-SEA. Somewhere during the trip, I noted a young lady with her dog coming from the snack car. Her buddy had saddle bags on and was a cute terrier. I remembered this never ending thread and shrugged it off. Somewhere in Washington, another young lady got on the train, this time with her brown pit bull. The conductor cautioned her to keep the dog on its leash. Both passengers got off in SEA and it looked like the pet parade passing. I expected to see turtles, geese and donkeys going by as well. I think all this discussion is a lot of hooey! Just show up with little Pansy in tow and you will get a ticket. The pets were well trained.

I will mention the pets were taking up floor space and had the train been crowded, I wonder what would have happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
The saddlebags make me think the terrier was some type of service dog. As for the pit bull, I have no idea. I imagine it was a service dog as well. They aren't required to wear vests or a special collar.

I would guess these were service dogs, too.

Undoubtedly there are some pets who would make the trip just fine, but there are many who could not. Although my dog is definitely one of my "children," I understand Amtrak's policy.

This morning I "shared" pictures on my Facebook timeline (Thomas William Fuller) of my friend Jason Earle with his dog Oreo. Oreo flew in the passenger compartment from EWR to TPA without a carrier or even a leash.

Jason is in no way handicapped. He is the founder and CEO of 1800GOTMOLD. He was hired by Anderson Cooper to go and clear an apartment so that a heart transplant infant could come home from the hospital.

Are the drug and bomb sniffing dogs brought onto trains considered "service dogs"?

In October 2001 the first dog I saw on an Amtrak train must have been an explosive sniffing dog. We went over the border into Niagara Falls Ontario and the Canadian CPB's dog found the drugs.

The pit bull was no service puppy. This passenger needed no service provider. The sweet dog with the saddle bags followed the owner on one trip back from the snack car, leash dragging. Who was leading who? These were pets.

The pit bull was no service puppy. This passenger needed no service provider. The sweet dog with the saddle bags followed the owner on one trip back from the snack car, leash dragging. Who was leading who? These were pets.
Service dogs aren't just for the blind or physically handicapped. There are "seizure dogs" and other varieties that help with a host of conditions. Some autistic children/teens have service dogs to help keep them calm in crowds. Even some veterans have been working with service animals specially trained to help prevent a PTSD/anxiety attack. (It's a very cool program.)

I'm not saying these were definitely service dogs, but I wouldn't want to assume they weren't and get slapped with an ADA lawsuit.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but Kathleen Parker's column in our paper today is all about animals on Amtrak. She says there is pending legislation supported by both parties to allow pets on Amtrak trains for trips less than 750 miles. An interesting article found in most major newspapers. (It was in our little Times Gazette this morning).

Not sure if this has been mentioned but Kathleen Parker's column in our paper today is all about animals on Amtrak. She says there is pending legislation supported by both parties to allow pets on Amtrak trains for trips less than 750 miles. An interesting article found in most major newspapers. (It was in our little Times Gazette this morning).
It's in the Washington Post: Amtrak bill gives dogs their due ride - http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/kathleen-parker-amtrak-bill-gives-dogs-their-due-ride/2013/06/04/0ba4ffb2-cd4b-11e2-8f6b-67f40e176f03_story.html

Looks like the columnist has a rat dog similar to Shanghai's.

The way I read it, the proposed policy is very much more restricted than 'pets allowed on Amtrak.' I believe it specifies KENNELED, that is in a CAGE, not running about the car or train licking or pooping in the aisles; it also says at least ONE CAR, somewhat like the Quiet Car; and it says nothing about LONG DISTANCE trains, only 750 miles or less.

Guess Lots of us will have to Stop Ridng Regionals if Fido and Fluffy are going to start Ridng these Trains! <_< (Of course Pet Owners will say "Not My ____!!! They're an Angel" :giggle: Please no Hate Mail, I like Pets too! At Home where they Belong! :p )

As long as the ONE CAR is a baggage car or boxcar, I'm for it. But not in my coach, not in my sleeper.

My favorite line: "and his bites, usually in defense against things that can’t be seen, are forgivably innocuous"

Permit me to doubt their innocuousness.

airlines are already doing this. why is amtrak such a pain??? if people are willing to pay, then there should be a market for it!

i'd sit next to a cute dog/cat than a kid (that's not my own) anyday!

A 750 mile airline trip is what, 2 hours max? A 750 mile train journey could easily take 18 hours. Someone needs to grow a brain here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back